WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please forgive me if i'm posting in the wrong forum. I've attached photos of a Breitling. The dial has been refinished. The crown is signed. The 7734 is unsigned. Serial on caseback 1272620 date the watch to 1969. 2030 seems to signify a Datora. I've been told that there were some Breitling's of the era that came without signed movements. Is that true? I'm hoping most if not all of the watch is authentic. Does anyone know what I have? I've attached photos of the movement as well. Thanks.

Any assistance would be a help.

Thanks
Peter

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
First of all, let me just say that I'm not an expert on this model, but I spent some time looking at examples, and I can see why you have some concerns. Not only is it a redial, but the dial doesn't even look like a 2030 dial, with the distinctive flattened oval sub-dials. Also, the hands are wrong. So at best, somebody found it necessary to replace the hands and replace or refinish the dial, which suggests there may have been some pretty bad damage to the watch.

All the Datora 2030 models I was able to find had signed movements, and they were all the earlier versions of the movement with the adjustable reset hammer. Putting all of this together with the fact that Valjoux 7734 movements are readily available, I would say that it is certainly a possibility that the movement is a later replacement. But it could be a Breitling movement with a replaced bridge. I don't think we can be absolutely certain.

·
Premium Member
6,609 Posts
The dial is interesting, because it's quite elaborate, but I can't find another like it. I'm curious if you have been able to find another Datora (or a different 7734 chronograph, perhaps from another manufacturer) with the same applied markers. That might provide a clue.

·
Registered
4,691 Posts
I'm no expert either, but you would think Breitling would at least sign their movements.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The 'alltime' Breitling vintage expert on here is WatchFred who may amble by soon enough, SDA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'm no expert either. This is an image of a Datora I bought in the mid-seventies, decades before I became interested in watches. I don't have it any more. The hands, indexes and subdials are very different to yours. It was very good at wearing out shirtcuffs and it stopped when the altitude exceeded 2,500ft - a trifle disconcerting for a student pilot...

IMG_1564.JPG
Pic nicked from t'interweb.

Attachments

·
Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your insight. Actually, what you suggest makes perfect sense and I suspect, the piece was in fact a different 7734, modified to resemble a Breitling. My dial just does not exist as a Breitling.

Thanks
Pete

1 - 11 of 11 Posts