WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It should not be too bad if you can get the case back off.

I never could....I tried to buy the proper tool, but I could not find the B1 specific size.

If luck is on your side, you might be able to use a rubber ball to get it open.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thx, tourneau quote me $435 for overhaul service by breitling usa which they say is necessary. i have 3 breitling and the b1 is barely used. i just wanna have the battery replaced, not the watch overhauled.Frustrating. i am trying to see if any local swiss watch repair could replace the battery. i know the watch works perfectly.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Do a search for Boston Watch or any other watch tools/parts house. Look for the ball case back opener. They only cost about $10. Give it a shot before you spend the big money.

I understand your frustration. Not being able to service the battery was one of the reasons that I sold my B1.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thx for the suggestion. love my b1 though, i use it only when travelling, especially overseas. i usually have long flight up to 22 hrs flight time with 2 short layover, love the multi function of B1, and the backlight ... just wonderful. i don't think i can sell it yet.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
I've had my B-1 7 years.

Up till now I've taken it to my local jeweller, not my AD, and for £5. They have changed the battery for me. Never ever had a problem.

Next time it's going in for a well deserved full service!!!!!

Davey

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Did you happen to see what tool they used to take the back off?

Clearly, they did something right since they did not damage or mar the case back.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I now own a ball remover and it works well about 95% of the time. There are still some backs that were put on with so much torque that even the ball can't budge.

I think that extreme torque does not equal a watertight seal. The rubber gasket makes the seal and you don't want to damage it by deforming it too much. Maybe a watchmaker could ring in on this issue.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,044 Posts
Hi ToT,
The informative videos that breitling ran on their web site showed the drop, press and twist jig and socket they use to demount case backs. An impress bit of kit and designed to cope with the torque required to budge what is in effect a ~40mm nut , ID at the thread!!. If I was approaching the same size nut on any other assembly I would have a spanner, with a good 12 inches of handle and more in most cases, to apply the required torque. Its no small task to do the same to a watch and preserve its finish. Exerting 40-60 ft lbs torque through a handle less then 1 inch long takes a whole lot of control and exacting pressure. It may be only a few threads deep but it amounts to a whole lot of contact surface area relative the size of the device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts