WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity to visit a Breitling Boutique for the first time yesterday. This was something my dad an I had talked about doing for some time, but we never got to do before I lost him to cancer back in May. Breitling was my dad's absolute favorite watch brand. He favored the Navitimers and Avengers. After my stepmother gave me his Avengers (Seawolf Ti and Skyland Blacksteel) I decided to sell/trade off my TAG's and Omega's and convert my collection to Breitling in his honor. After his passing, and also having to deal with the passing of my father-in-law just a month ago, my wife and I made the short 2.5 hour drive south to San Antonio to visit the Breitling Boutique in the La Cantera shopping district to screatch a bucket list item off my list and to just have a nice enjoyable day with eachother. I wanted the experience of buying a brand new Breitling directly from Breitling themselves; one that I was going to keep forever as another way to remember my dad, since we never got to do that together.

I had emailed back and forth with the Boutique employees a little while before I went. I had a few pieces that I was interested in that fit my budget of about $5k. Those included: Top Time, Aviator 8, SuperOcean, SuperOcean Heritage II, and the SuperOcean Heritage '57.

The experience was nothing short of great! When We arrived, Jackie, the employee on duty at the time brought out a tray with the pieces that I had expressed interest in that they also had in stock, which was basically all of the above. I was most interested in the Top Time and the SOH II 44mm in black. The SOH '57 was nice, but seeing the "concave" bezel just didn't work for me when I saw it in person. I tried the Top Time but it just wasn't "big" enough for me. I prefer something in the 43-44mm range and the Top Time was nice, but I just didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as the SOH II 44mm in black on a bracelet. I tried the SOH II in 42mm and 46mm as well. I ended up selecting the the 44mm SOH II and couldn't be happier! The 44mm was the "goldilocks" fit: just right! It has great "wrist presence" and feel and my wife loves the more "vintage" look compared to my other Breitlings.

The Boutique is located in an open air shopping center called "The Shops at La Cantera" in San Antonio, which also happens to be right next door to Six Flags: Fiesta Texas and just a few miles north of Sea World. It also happens to be right across the walkway from "the competition", haha. Omega has a store close by and there is a high-end jewelry store that sells Rolex and TAG Heuer amongst other brands.

The San Antonio Boutique:
IMG-4868.jpg

In-store pano...

The new SOH II 44mm and my Flying Fish, along with the "Boutique Only" hat the SOH II came with:

After lightening our wallets with some shopping, we grabbed a nice lunch at the nearby Kona Grill...

Overall, it was a great experience and a very enjoyable day. Something we haven't had much of these past few months.

I think Dad would have been proud! The new SOH II 44mm...

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had the opportunity to visit a Breitling Boutique for the first time yesterday. This was something my dad an I had talked about doing for some time, but we never got to do before I lost him to cancer back in May. Breitling was my dad's absolute favorite watch brand. He favored the Navitimers and Avengers. After my stepmother gave me his Avengers (Seawolf Ti and Skyland Blacksteel) I decided to sell/trade off my TAG's and Omega's and convert my collection to Breitling in his honor. After his passing, and also having to deal with the passing of my father-in-law just a month ago, my wife and I made the short 2.5 hour drive south to San Antonio to visit the Breitling Boutique in the La Cantera shopping district to screatch a bucket list item off my list and to just have a nice enjoyable day with eachother. I wanted the experience of buying a brand new Breitling directly from Breitling themselves; one that I was going to keep forever as another way to remember my dad, since we never got to do that together.

I had emailed back and forth with the Boutique employees a little while before I went. I had a few pieces that I was interested in that fit my budget of about $5k. Those included: Top Time, Aviator 8, SuperOcean, SuperOcean Heritage II, and the SuperOcean Heritage '57.

The experience was nothing short of great! When We arrived, Jackie, the employee on duty at the time brought out a tray with the pieces that I had expressed interest in that they also had in stock, which was basically all of the above. I was most interested in the Top Time and the SOH II 44mm in black. The SOH '57 was nice, but seeing the "concave" bezel just didn't work for me when I saw it in person. I tried the Top Time but it just wasn't "big" enough for me. I prefer something in the 43-44mm range and the Top Time was nice, but I just didn't tug at my heartstrings as much as the SOH II 44mm in black on a bracelet. I tried the SOH II in 42mm and 46mm as well. I ended up selecting the the 44mm SOH II and couldn't be happier! The 44mm was the "goldilocks" fit: just right! It has great "wrist presence" and feel and my wife loves the more "vintage" look compared to my other Breitlings.

The Boutique is located in an open air shopping center called "The Shops at La Cantera" in San Antonio, which also happens to be right next door to Six Flags: Fiesta Texas and just a few miles north of Sea World. It also happens to be right across the walkway from "the competition", haha. Omega has a store close by and there is a high-end jewelry store that sells Rolex and TAG Heuer amongst other brands.

View attachment 15445792
In-store pano...
View attachment 15445800

The new SOH II 44mm and my Flying Fish, along with the "Boutique Only" hat the SOH II came with:
View attachment 15445803

After lightening our wallets with some shopping, we grabbed a nice lunch at the nearby Kona Grill...
View attachment 15445804

Overall, it was a great experience and a very enjoyable day. Something we haven't had much of these past few months.

View attachment 15445806
I am very sorry about the passing of your dad. It sounds like you two had a great relationship and that is not always the case for a lot of people. I love the fact that you had that interest in common and that you both planned to take that trip together. The two watches he left you are absolutely awesome and two pieces that were, in my opinion, very special. The original Seawolf is the best looking one and very different to all the ones that came after it. The Skyland Is quite possibly the best iteration of the Avenger Chrono along with the original one. I loved the fact that it was entirely black and white and had no chrome. This unfortunately lasted around 2-3 years before Breitling decided to change the numbers and hands and everything became shiny and reflective. So if you have one of those first Skylands, I would argue you have a very special piece. Thank you for sharing your story and what seem like a very special day. I enjoyed reading it very much. Your new watch definitely is a great choice and a well thought addition to the collection. Again, thanks thanks for the great story.

·
Premium Member
1,241 Posts
Lovely story that clearly means a lot to you. I'm sure your dad would be very pleased with your choice. SOH is just an all time classic, especially on that beautiful mesh. Congrats and hope it brings you many years of pleasure and memories.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had to send the new SOH II to Breitling for a warranty service because the watch was running fast, which I didn't notice until I had returned home. It had been gaining time at a rate of 4-5 seconds per minute. I just got it back yesterday and it is now running like a champ! I put it on a fresh Breitling gator strap with a polished deployant (Dad's favorite combo) and I'm looking forward to years of wear! Very happy to have it back! Pictured below with a now very jealous Flying Fish!

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
One reason I like Breitling is that they have always been willing to do a fine timing adjuatment, even when the watch is within COSC spec at +5 or +6 spd. I'm glad to hear this is still the case.

Reactions: Burgs

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Ahh...4-5 seconds per minute. Oops! Well, in any event, I'm glad BUSA came through for you.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,343 Posts
One reason I like Breitling is that they have always been willing to do a fine timing adjuatment, even when the watch is within COSC spec at +5 or +6 spd. I'm glad to hear this is still the case.
I had to send the new SOH II to Breitling for a warranty service because the watch was running fast, which I didn't notice until I had returned home. It had been gaining time at a rate of 4-5 seconds per minute. I just got it back yesterday and it is now running like a champ! I put it on a fresh Breitling gator strap with a polished deployant (Dad's favorite combo) and I'm looking forward to years of wear! Very happy to have it back! Pictured below with a now very jealous Flying Fish!

View attachment 15522127
Your Dad's favorite OEM black croco is also my favorite! Beautiful piece and kitting!
Best,
Ron

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, but he was seeing +1.5hrs per day to +2hrs per day (hpd?). Magnetized?
I asked the Breitling service people what went wrong and an undisclosed part had been broken. Never got details on exactly what it was. Completely covered under warranty though.

Ahh...4-5 seconds per minute. Oops! Well, in any event, I'm glad BUSA came through for you.
It was a very anxious 4.5 weeks, but I'm so glad it is back! Now on duty as my everyday - office watch!

Your Dad's favorite OEM black croco is also my favorite! Beautiful piece and kitting!
Best,
Ron
Thank you! There is just something "right" about a quality leather strap and a Breitling deployant, no matter your finish or color choice!

Reactions: CFK-OB and O2AFAC67

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for sharing your story and sorry about your dad passing!
I also got my watch enthusiasm from my father, its a great hobby to share!

Enjoy your SOH!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
266 Posts

View attachment 15445792
In-store pano...
View attachment 15445800

View attachment 15445803

View attachment 15445804

View attachment 15445806

Great story, thanks for sharing.

I go to La Cantera semi often, and was just at the Breitling boutique a couple weeks ago.

Great place and great service.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Lovely story about the boutique, and glad you found a way to remember loved ones while strengthening your relationship with your wife.

I also too like the 44 SOH II, its the perfect size for me, and has a similar wrist presence as the Chronomat 44. Black croc/leather is definitely the way to go too. Looks very sharp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts