WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems like the whole Breitling Colt line has been discontinued and is being replaced by the Avenger series. I’ve yet to see a quartz in the Avenger series and I don’t think we will. Sad to see one of the better quartz watches out there disappear. The Colt Quartz was a HAQ, had 8 year battery life, a bezel and 200-500m WR depending on the version.

Let’s hope Breitling doesn’t decide to discontinue the Professional series (Emergency, Aerospace, B55, B50) but I think those watches are too important for the Breitling DNA, although Breitling haven’t focused much attention on them recently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree, the professional line should/must stay. The Aerospace and Emergency should be safe, but as you say B50 or B55 might leave. It looks like the Chronospace Military is gone as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s extremely evident how little Breitling is focusing on quartz if you visit their Instagram account. Also, my local dealer doesn’t stock a single quartz Breitling.

·
Registered
896 Posts
It’s extremely evident how little Breitling is focusing on quartz if you visit their Instagram account. Also, my local dealer doesn’t stock a single quartz Breitling.
I suspect the industry has determined that there's an upper limit to what people are willing to pay for quartz, unlike the seemingly unlimited price range they'll pay for mechanical, so the higher-priced quartz models are being gradually discontinued by the Swiss. Omega did the same with the Seamaster quartz a few years ago, don't follow it closely enough to know exactly when, but its gone from their lineup.

Seiko/GS/Citizen/Casio aren't showing any fear of quartz at various price points, we may be slowly evolving into a mostly Japanese quartz market, with a few Swiss offerings based on Ronda movements. The Longines VHP is still a great option though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually think that quartz have had a bit of a resurgence over the last years or so. Most acknowledge that there are some cool quartz watches and that they are not all the same. With smartwatches coming our way there is probably even going to be a bit of nostalgia love for quartz.

As for Omega's decision to quit quartz in Seamasters it's probably because they wanted to raise prices and I think they switched their auto movements to more high end as well? Omega's recent quartz movements haven't been very interesting anyway, apart from the one in the X33 or Z33. The X33 and Z33 from Omega and the professional line from Breitling might be a way to differentiate quartz more from their mechanical watches and it maybe it's a good decision from a business standpoint.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I actually think that quartz have had a bit of a resurgence over the last years or so. Most acknowledge that there are some cool quartz watches and that they are not all the same. With smartwatches coming our way there is probably even going to be a bit of nostalgia love for quartz.
I actually doubt it and think quartz offering has been reducing in the past year. I am struggling to find any decent and affordable quartz GMT and could not find any beside Longines VHP GMT. I guess smartwatches are really killing the quartz market.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I actually doubt it and think quartz offering has been reducing in the past year. I am struggling to find any decent and affordable quartz GMT and could not find any beside Longines VHP GMT. I guess smartwatches are really killing the quartz market.
I agree that quartz might be on a decline in say the $100-500 range, but not necessarily high end quartz or more interesting quartz watches like the VHP GMT you mention. It’s a lot more expensive but there are Grand Seiko GMTs. If you are OK with anadigi watches there are also some options that could be used as GMTs.

·
Registered
782 Posts
George Kerns said that he plans on phasing out the quartz watches from the Breitling inventory. So don’t be surprised if the Pro line goes away in the next few years. As for the Colt line, that line has indeed been removed from the catalogue although should still be available for purchase until stock is gone.

Also, IMHO, I feel that the SuperOcean is more likely the line taking the place of the Colt since the SuperOcean has more crossover with the Colt in function, design and cost then the Avenger does.

Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Read about Kern’s strategy for quartz going forward and it seems like the Aerospace, Emergency and B55 will remain. From what I’ve been able to gather Breitling’s focus will be on heritage and retro inspiration. The Emergency and Aerospace are actually among Breitling’s most iconic watches.

Breitling is stopping everything under $3,500 as well as all quartz, including the Skyracer. This, however, does not mean a discontinuation of Breitling’s professional electronic watches – although those are quartz-based too, Kern consistently makes a distinction between simple quartz watches and these professional, Breitling-specific models that he refers to as “electronic watches.” Therefore, Emergency watches and the like will continue to very much remain a part of Breitling’s selection, whereas basic quartz watches will be gone entirely. On this note I might actually have to pick one of those Skyracers up. Gone will be all the Colt quartz models too, including the small ladies’ watches (these irrespective of the movement inside).
Via: https://www.ablogtowatch.com/georges-kern-breitling-coming-years/2/

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
My local AD said the Aerospace was their most popular model. I don't see them phasing it out or any of the "instrument watches"

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
George Kerns said that he plans on phasing out the quartz watches from the Breitling inventory. So don’t be surprised if the Pro line goes away in the next few years. As for the Colt line, that line has indeed been removed from the catalogue although should still be available for purchase until stock is gone.

Also, IMHO, I feel that the SuperOcean is more likely the line taking the place of the Colt since the SuperOcean has more crossover with the Colt in function, design and cost then the Avenger does.

Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He actually said that the pro line is safe, he is phasing out quartz only where there is a mechanical version.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
He actually said that the pro line is safe, he is phasing out quartz only where there is a mechanical version.
Yes, I qouted ablogtowatch above as well. Nice that the pro line is safe, although it would have been nice to see a continuation of something like the Colt Skyracer. An affordable and very usable watch, not in direct competition with the mechanical watches.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Yes, I qouted ablogtowatch above as well. Nice that the pro line is safe, although it would have been nice to see a continuation of something like the Colt Skyracer. An affordable and very usable watch, not in direct competition with the mechanical watches.
True, still a bit sad that Omega stopped their quartz offerings.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
True, still a bit sad that Omega stopped their quartz offerings.
Agree, Omega still have the X33 and Z33 though and have plenty of quartz in the ladies watches. I really like the X33 although it might be a bit too costly and big for me.

It seems that Breitling and Omega wants to offer something distinctly different in their quartz watches compared to their mechanical watches, and maybe they’re on to something there.

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,499 Posts
On the US site,no B55 in the professional collection. I did a search found those watches, but it said contact Breitling.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts