WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Totally new to Breitlings and I aim for simple watches but saw a Breitling Colt for sale and it looked like my cup of tea. Are these lower tier Breitlings(as if they really make such)? The price seems good and the pics look great. But is this a good model to have? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

paul:-s

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Totally new to Breitlings and I aim for simple watches but saw a Breitling Colt for sale and it looked like my cup of tea. Are these lower tier Breitlings(as if they really make such)?
Yes - Breitling makes several different ranges of watches, and some are more expensive than others. The Colt can be considered, in price terms, as an "entry-level" Breitling (I don't like that term as it's drenched in status issues but people seem to understand it).

The Colt range has military origins, originating in the early 80s as a tough quartz-powered watch for army use. In time the Colt range went "civilian" and expanded to include the Superocean, which is an iconic dive watch originating in the 50s, until Breitling renamed the entire line "Aeromarine" and split out the Colt and Superocean with separate identities.

Until a few years ago the Colt was available in a modest quartz version all the way up to an automatic chrono, which could hardly be described as "entry-level", being more expensive than the Aerospace and any of the diver watches.

These days, the Colt range goes from quartz to automatic GMT (the automatic chrono has been re-cast as a Superocean derivative). It depends what you're after, but the build quality is exactly the same as the Chronomats and Navitimers, the bracelets are the same across the Superocean and Professional ranges, and the movements are shared across the range too. Breitling is best known for its chronos but also makes time-only watches and they're equally good for your money.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thanks for the history of the colt line, very interesting to me as I also have a colt chrono in my collection and on my pulse now.

In terms of history and the likes I cant add much. The tech. aspects are also new to me. What I can add is my opionen of the line. I bought first, the superocean because I liked the look of the dive watch, its design and legable dial. The weight of this instrument also sold me. Having decided to also get a chrono instrument, I looked through the range and felt that the colt met best my needs. While being more expensive then the superocean, I concider it in no way an 'entry level watch'. Infact quality brands should never be judged as such. Do we differenciate a ferrari owner as being an entry level owner or not? No way, you have one or you dont! Its the same with Breitling. The chrono colt which I am now wearing is awsome. The smaller size was the selling point as the bigger chrono's are just too big for my tastes. At 41.10cm its perfect on my wrist!

Tomorrow the aerospace will adorn my arm. I often ask my three children: Which of you do I love the most? And we all togather say... ALL THREE...... thats the same with my 3B's I love them all the same no matter what they have cost.

I hope this helps..

cheers pete

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's my answer and what's on my wrist right now:

I've got an Aerospace coming within the week but this one will still be the dress watch. It's flat out gorgeous.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Awsome !!! great photo too. To bad I have not yet made photos of my colt but will soon. Mine is aldo black dial on braclet.. Tryed the leather strap but didnt feel that it did justacr to the watch.

Which color aerospace did you order? I got mine on tuesday, Black dial on titanium. It is my dressy Breitling, while my colt is for driving my 61 jag.
pete

·
Registered
106 Posts
Which color aerospace did you order? I got mine on tuesday, Black dial on titanium. It is my dressy Breitling, while my colt is for driving my 61 jag.
pete

Titanium face (gray) with titanium band. I want a good, non-reflective, watch for daily wear.

But this Colt will not be put to pasture, it's going to be a regular wear too.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
I have two Colts and both get a lot of wrist time. I like the size and weight as an all-around kind of watch. I have a black leather band I swap out with the Pro 2's. Very accurate also.
Frank

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Infact quality brands should never be judged as such. Do we differenciate a ferrari owner as being an entry level owner or not? No way, you have one or you dont!
You'd be surprised. V12 Ferrari owners are chippy about pauper social-security types who can "only" afford a 360; BMW owners are probably worse. Every community develops class/status issues, in time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts