WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering what the base movement is...
It's 38 jewels so I'm assuming it's a modular chronograph...
Is it FP (the same as what caused the troubles at Omega) or is it a duprez module on an ETA?
I would like to know...
This may be my big purchase for 2007! :-!

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,844 Posts
Hi, Dennis. The Cosmonaute flyback is a...

I'm wondering what the base movement is...
It's 38 jewels so I'm assuming it's a modular chronograph...
Is it FP (the same as what caused the troubles at Omega) or is it a duprez module on an ETA?
I would like to know...
This may be my big purchase for 2007! :-!
Breitling caliber 22 which is an ETA 2892-A2 and your assumptions is correct, the module is not an FP, it is a Dubois/Depraz. It has the "quick set date" complication also which is terrific. The 24hr gearing on the ETA is intesting in that you have to "hack" it a minute later when setting the time because it doesn't start moving the minute hand for exactly one minute after pushing the crown in! I've had mine almost two years now and love it. Just to tempt you a bit... ;-) :)
Cheers,
Ron

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the wealth of information. Sounds like a movement I would enjoy.
And yes, you tempt me plenty with your great photography and excellent subjects.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dennis you'll love the Cosmo. I have the manual wound version (black dial though, which I find easier to read than the white) but I would also enjoy the automatic version.
It's an amazingly beautiful and unusual. It does attract a lot of questions and comments.
Last time I was in Kabul, Afghanistan, an American gentleman came to me with a big smile "howdy, cool watch !" and we had a great watch chat around a few beers (and that's quite a feast there).
He was wearing a great Fortis chrono. The guy was a private security contractor, big dude. The watch seemed tiny on his monster wrist... Then he tried the Cosmo and was instantly sold. Couple of weeks later he was wearing one...
The only two Cosmo of Afghanistan !

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great story!!!!
I used to own a manual wind with display back. It's a jewel...A real work of art.
The only reason I'm considering the auto this time around is because I would really like the date function, and would also like the flyback feature.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've had some great watch stories in the crappiest places on earth such as Irak, Chechnya and so on...
I love the feeling of rewinding this watch.
It is smooth and the watch feels like a million dollars.
I'm also looking at an auto, it's nice to have a chronometer also, although mine is pretty accurate. I've had a minor problem with it, the hours subdial zone needle wouldn't align properly on the 12. It was quickly fixed though and this watch has seen some pretty rough action and places without missing a beat. It's pretty scratched all around but I think it adds personnality to a watch that already has quite a strong presence...

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Dennis,

If you want something a little ltd, yet still 24hr, then why not go for this little one.

Its the same movement, yet on an inverted dial, as you can see.

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm seriously considering doing that, Lou.

If any of you guys know where I may find one of those 24 ChronoMatics, please email me with the info. :-!

[email protected]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm seriously considering doing that, Lou.

If any of you guys know where I may find one of those 24 ChronoMatics, please email me with the info. :-!

[email protected]
Well I went yesterday to my watch shop to try the ChronoMatic because I love the dial layout. Although it looks the business it quite doesn't feel like it compared to a Navi Cosmo. It's thinner.
It feels light and I like heavy watches. Being Christmas you don't have to bargain much to get 20% off right away so it's quite a deal.
So far I'm not terminally in love with it, a prerequisite for me.
If I come around a nice second hand one I might fall for it.
Nice photos, Lou ;)

·
3,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very interesting Magnum!
Living in the boonies, I haven't seen (let alone been able to try on) a Chronomatic. I love the limited edition and was going to try to snag one (friends here have directed me to a couple that are at dealers).
Then I was scrutinizing the numbers on the Breitling site last night and talked myself out of the ChronoMatic because it was too big...
44mm and 98.7g versus 41.5mm and 84g for the Cosmo.
You are correct, the Cosmo is 14.4mm thick vs. 13.6 for the ChronoMatic.
That's only 0.8mm, which I thought would be hardly noticable.
My SST06, which is 44mm and fairly thin, is a bit too big for me to wear all the time. Seems to be about the max size for me in steel.
Your opinion that the watch feels "light" makes me reconsider yet again. We'll see.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well I went yesterday to my watch shop to try the ChronoMatic because I love the dial layout. Although it looks the business it quite doesn't feel like it compared to a Navi Cosmo. It's thinner.
It feels light and I like heavy watches. Being Christmas you don't have to bargain much to get 20% off right away so it's quite a deal.
So far I'm not terminally in love with it, a prerequisite for me.
If I come around a nice second hand one I might fall for it.
Nice photos, Lou ;)
An interesting take, to be sure!

When I tried one on, it didn't exactly feel "light", although I've been wearing my Omega Seamaster chrono around lately, so NOTHING feels heavy:). What struck me, though, was that it didn't really feel precisely "Right", which I can't really explain. Like the Glycine SST, it wears its size well, and doesn't feel like a grandfather clock on your wrist (like a first-generation Chrono-Matic). I've never actually seen a current Cosmo in the flesh, but somehow the images of that watch seem to me to be a little more "harmonious" or "balanced" than the CM24. On the other hand, I am a sucker for 12-on-top, and I think that may have pushed me over the edge...

I think I might be looking for one second hand as well...

-Michael

·
Registered
16 Posts
An interesting take, to be sure!

When I tried one on, it didn't exactly feel "light", although I've been wearing my Omega Seamaster chrono around lately, so NOTHING feels heavy:). What struck me, though, was that it didn't really feel precisely "Right", which I can't really explain. Like the Glycine SST, it wears its size well, and doesn't feel like a grandfather clock on your wrist (like a first-generation Chrono-Matic). I've never actually seen a current Cosmo in the flesh, but somehow the images of that watch seem to me to be a little more "harmonious" or "balanced" than the CM24. On the other hand, I am a sucker for 12-on-top, and I think that may have pushed me over the edge...

I think I might be looking for one second hand as well...

-Michael
Mike, Dennis,

I went to my dealer with the Cosmo. To me, the ChronoMatic doesn't stand the comparison with the Cosmo. Dunno why, I love the CM dial and all, it just doesn't quite make it for me the way it did with the Cosmo. The minute I put it on I couldn't take it off.
The CM case is less... massive than that of the Cosmo.
Now don't get me wrong guys, this is a wonderful watch, unusual 24 dial layout, nice movement but as I said I think I'll wait for a second hand one. We're kinda comparing an Aston Vanquish with say a Lambo Gallardo. Two amazing cars, with a different appeal.
My 0.02€ :-D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Hi Dennis,

Just done a deal for 2yr old Cosmo Flyback with Andre Stikkers who runs the 24hr watch info site,i have looking for one of theese at a liveable price for some time now and i am really looking forward to it,he coincidently is going for the Chro-matic.

I just feel that this is one of "THE" watches if you have an intrest in 24hr watches,like the SST.

I will post some photo's on reception.

Martin

·
Registered
725 Posts
Congratulations, Martin!

That's a Cosmo with a little bit of a story behind it:)! I saw Andre's sales post, and I was seriously thinking about it, I'm glad it went to a fellow forumer! Enjoy that classic!

-Michael

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thanks Michael,

I am looking forward to this one,had to think long and hard as i have been "gathering" a few of late and the sale ratio has dropped:roll:

I bought the seller as much as the watch in this case and i hope the story is a good one.

Cheers

Martin

1 - 15 of 15 Posts