WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. I know that the Breitling Emergency is written about often, but I have a question that remains. If you activate the 121.5 mhz emergency locater on your Breitling emergency and you are in dire circumstances, will you still be slapped with the fine? I know that the official literature states "aviation" related emergency, however, what if SAR is searching for you with helicopters/aircraft? The reason I am asking is because I spend a lot of time in the winter snowboarding the backcountry, and every year snowboarders/skiers die when they become disoriented or hurt and freeze to death. Would it be out of line to activate a Breitling Emergency in such a circumstance? Would SAR teams be monitoring the guard channel during a rescue not related to an aircraft? My AD told me to keep a hang-glider with me and just throw it in the snow next to me if worst comes to worst. Comical but not practical. Thanks for your time!

Reactions: aseldon

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,844 Posts
Hello, I think the simple answer to your question is to carry a personal location beacon set to 406Mhz which are available at any good supplier to outback trekkers. The emergency is a secondary signal and will only be useful if you have set off a primary beacon that can be picked up by satellites thus initializing a search. The E will help narrow the search and allow for a greater degree of accuracy when overhead craft are homing in on your signal.

Believe me, I know how valuable a working EPIRB/PLB can be. We loose people all the time in bush land here in Oz. Some are found. Very often they are not. Years later, meters from where searchers were cutting through dense bush in their search, remains are found. If only...

Some further information published by Breitling may help you form a view as to how you should proceed.

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been considering purchasing a 406 mhz PLB for some time now. I ALWAYS carry an avalanche beacon (and REECO insert), but so do does everyone else who ends up missing or worse. Thanks for the info! I would hate for the a life/death scenario to occur in the middle-of-nowhere this ski season and have breitling fine me for 'improper use.'

·
8,844 Posts
It won't be Breitling who imposes a fine, it will most likely be the civil aviation/SAR services that will pursue you if you involve them in a search that is not justified. Its very expensive to conduct grid searches involving several aircraft and crews as I'm sure you are aware.
Here is a link to an article that really goes into the subject in far greater detail then I can bring to bare on the matter...well worth a careful read.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f39/emergency-signaling-emergency-beacons-breitling%92s-emergency-wristwatch-170.html

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great article, thank you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey All,

I have some cool news! I spoke to a rep from Breitling today, and they have changed their policy concerning 'Emergency' series watches to include all "life threatening" emergencies. So, if your stranded on an island, lost in the freezing wilderness, abducted by aliens or whatever circumstance warrants your rescue, you will not be penalized. Pass it on!

·
8,844 Posts
Thanks for posting but can you provide any further links or documentation confirming this change in policy.
Your report is timely but unsupported by any evidence other then a conversation with a company representative
of whom we have no knowledge. It in effect upends more then almost ten years of public policy in a highly regulated area.
Its incumbent on you to provide more information if we are to let your post stand.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Breitling Emergency :: JetBoxhis article alludes to what I was told, not a professional reference, but the same gist

·
8,844 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A good article, indeed. I don't know why this is such an enigma.

·
Registered
778 Posts
A good article, indeed. I don't know why this is such an enigma.
It is somewhat unclear, as the FCC, and FAA are in a p*ssing match over 121.5. The FAA, not the FCC is the sole regulator of U.S. aircraft, and they say use of ELT's with 121.5 is fine in aircraft, and have told the FCC to stop saying they are illegal in aircraft. This pertains to aircraft only, not personal locator beacons. My plane has the standard 121.5 ELT, and it is perfectly legal.

·
Registered
33 Posts
According to the conditions of sale which I have here it states " the transmitter cannot be activated , except in clear situations of distress occuring exclusively in the context of aeronautical activities

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
According to the conditions of sale which I have here it states " the transmitter cannot be activated , except in clear situations of distress occuring exclusively in the context of aeronautical activities
However, in the real world, they'll turn a blind eye to it, because you are in distress.

cheers,
Jake.

·
8,844 Posts
Now this is something to ponder...

Paired with an Android phone, DeLorme’s inReach satellite link allows you to send and receive text messages from anywhere on the globe. The 1.7-inch-thick device connects to a world wide network of high-speed Iridium satellites to beam messages or emergency signals.

·
Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator
12,151 Posts
... send and receive text messages from anywhere on the globe...
Actual text received from the unit and displayed on the LCD screen... ]!!tuo teg t'nac dna ecived dleh dnah elttil trams siht edisni deppart ma I !!pleH

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It seems satellite location devices may be the safe way to go (since satellites no longer monitor the 121.5 MHz guard). Not as sexy as a Breitling E, but maybe more effective. I'm looking into getting the SPOT 2....

spot.jpg

·
Registered
778 Posts
I thought I had read when the Emergency first came out that you had to have a valid pilot certificate to buy one. I don't know if that was true or not. I think it is an interesting gadget, but as others have said the new satellite locators are much more effective, especially with the satellites not monitoring 121.5 anymore. You pretty much have to rely on an airliner or small plane with its second COM unit set on 121.5 as many of us do in this age of moving TFR's.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
It seems satellite location devices may be the safe way to go (since satellites no longer monitor the 121.5 MHz guard).
Thats true.
But the signal from the "E" would be too weak to get to a satellite, anyway.
Most aircraft monitor the 121.5Mhz frequency, thought.

cheers,
Jake.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts