WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm into watches lately and I've seen lot of them but never had and wore a good one (particularly it's my first one). I really like Breitling Superocean Chronograph m2000 for it's design and quality. I'm 17 and like Breitling,AP,Hublot style watches. Any suggestions (around 7000) and is it worth the money?
Thanks!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Breitlings are quality watches. It will definitely last until you are old enough to drink, and beyond. ;-)

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
GREAT WATCH.....And if you don't drink it will last you for all your life!

·
Registered
396 Posts
I like Breitling, they make good watches and few are very popular and keep resonable price.
If you can spend 7K and want only a Breitling then I would get the Navitimer, thats my favorite Breitling.
If you are open minded on other companies then I would suggest looking for Omega Planet Ocean Chrono.
For 7K I would personally go for Rolex Submariner.

Reactions: rics21

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
If you saved $7000 at 17 I commend you. Since you are just getting into watches though, I would slow it down. Start looking at more affordable options like a nice Seiko Sumo for $500 and see where that takes you. At your age tastes will change quickly. Is the Breitling a great watch? Heck yes! Like others have said you can buy a Navitimer or even a Transocean Chrono for that kind of dough when you are certain.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
If you saved $7000 at 17 I commend you. Since you are just getting into watches though, I would slow it down. Start looking at more affordable options like a nice Seiko Sumo for $500 and see where that takes you. At your age tastes will change quickly. Is the Breitling a great watch? Heck yes! Like others have said you can buy a Navitimer or even a Transocean Chrono for that kind of dough when you are certain.
+1. There are SOOOO many options out there. You should spend a little more time here on WUS and see what's out there. At this price point, you have more options than you might realize. I would also wonder if there isn't a better use for 7 grand for a 17 year old though? Car/college/savings acct/etc...Maybe just get a few nice 500 dollar watches and see where it goes from there...

If I could go back and do my teens and 20's all over again (knowing what I know now), I'd have a PILE of cash saved up (and some nice watches, of course, LOL). I was making plenty of money for my age, but had a rather obsessive firearm/shooting habit and a taste for pricey whiskey/bourbon. "Everything in moderation" are good words to live by...cause I'd sure rather have the cash at this point!

·
Banned
95 Posts
I will second or 3rd the go slow sentiment.

What you like now you may regret or at least not like as much as you get older.

My .02 would be to find a watch in that style at a much lower price point and if you really want a high price piece buy something classic and timeless with proven resale value over time.
Like but not limited to a Rolex.
That way if your taste should change you won't be out a pile of cash sitting on pieces neither you or anyone else wants.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I like Breitling, they make good watches and few are very popular and keep resonable price.
If you can spend 7K and want only a Breitling then I would get the Navitimer, thats my favorite Breitling.
If you are open minded on other companies then I would suggest looking for Omega Planet Ocean Chrono.
For 7K I would personally go for Rolex Submariner.
I would definitely not get the Submariner especially if I was 17. Too stodgy.

·
Registered
9,538 Posts
If I were in your shoes,I will hold back on spending the whole 7k on a single watch

However,looking back to my younger self,I bought a pre-owned Rolex 16570 when I was 16 too....back then it cost roughly $2000ish though..

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
I agree with most responses so far. Go easy.
If you are really set on that Breitling, look for a pre-owned one rather than new.
That way you will not be loosing out too much if you decide later that you need the cash for other more important things in life.
As much as it is a great watch, you will take a big hit on the M2000 resale value if you buy it new now and decide to sell it later.

·
Premium Member
64,888 Posts
The Breitling is a heck of a watch but I too would advocate going slow. If you fall out of love with a less expensive watch you are $500 down but if you stop loving the Breitling you will be $7K down.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Breitling styles are probably perfect for a 17 year old. However, if I were you, I would take that money and buy something that is more timeless (like a Rolex Submariner) as it might serve your needs longer (unless you are wealthy enough to buy another similarly priced watch whenever you like). You can get a great watch for much less than that price range that will more than adequately meet your needs while you are likely to be tough on your watch in the next few years.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah maybe you're right about Rolex but as you know most people know nothing but Rolex and they think Rolex is the most expensive and luxurious brand. I really like the sub but I don't want to be the ''rich kid''. Maybe I'll just slow down now and buy a classier watch few years later. Thanks to everyone!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts