WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi, i own a seawolf that i purchased in 2010, though it's a 2008 model. i recently began noticing a decline in accuracy. it's no longer within cosc specs and is losing about 20 seconds a day. considering its age, i'm guessing it can stand to be serviced. question i have is i've never had a servicing done to any of my watches before, would like to get opinions on whether i should go for the basic maintenance or full overhaul? breitling's web page indicates the basic service should run about $160 usd, while the full service is over $400. any other tips or things i should consider before sending my watch in? the wisdom and experience of this forum is immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Don't forget to take into account shipping and insurance. I've had my chronographs serviced at the local AD. Basic service done in house is usually adequate, if more is required they will tell you. In my experience there is always something that I should replace and the cost is always higher. i have no complaints with my AD and there seems to be a lot of vendors on this site that can do the work for you.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
If we knew where you live, someone might recommend a good local.
Breitling factory service in the U.S. is pretty good, I've heard,I had a local
Genius do mine....Good luck.

·
Banned
326 Posts
Ive sent a few watches to Breitling USA service center and they have outstanding customer service! One watch was pretty beat up scratches and dings everywhere and it can back like new! With that said it took about 9 weeks but it was worth it to me.

I would rather spend a little more to have the movement and case work done exactly to manufacture specs

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
I've noted with interest a few people advising that you find a local watch repairer as opposed to sending to the manufacturer? Could those of you that know about such things advise if this affects re-sale value or the way that the manufacturer ever deals with that watch again if you send it back to them after an independent had tampered with it?

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
I've noted with interest a few people advising that you find a local watch repairer as opposed to sending to the manufacturer? Could those of you that know about such things advise if this affects re-sale value or the way that the manufacturer ever deals with that watch again if you send it back to them after an independent had tampered with it?

Thanks.
No, not in my experience. I've used both with Rolex, never an issue, as long as genuine parts used.
There will be no options with my Parmigiani and Chopard, they must go to ASC.

Reactions: GETS

·
Premium Member
73,682 Posts
If your watch is really beaten up send it to Breitling for the full treatment otherwise hunt down a good watch guy who will do a decent job for you. If you elect to have your watch worked on by the service centre at some future date the fact that you've had it worked on by an independent previously should cause you no problems.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Since you waited and now there are timekeeping issues (not that waiting is the worst thing in the world) I'd be more inclined to send it back to the mothership as the potential need for parts and a very complete overhaul go up as time goes on.

·
Banned
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
by the way, i'm in the long island/new york city area, in case anyone can suggest a reliable local watchmaker.

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
Well you have a bunch of options, the breitling boutique in midtown, a bunch of big time jewelers that begin with "T" to name a few. I live in NJ but I would go to the boutique and get a feel for time and cost. You should get off pretty light since it's not a chronograph and I assume it's not beaten up. Check the yelp reviews on the others NYC yelp reviews are really good source of info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts