WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I had previously posted about purchasing a watch for my 30th birthday next year, and with overwhelming positivity I had received a lot of opinion and thoughts from the forum.

I have since narrowed my search down to two watches that at the end of the day tickled my facy despite their larger measurements: Breitling Navitimer and IWC Mark XVIII

For today's discussion I'd like to focus on the Breitling, specifically on the topic of the 41 vs 43's differences beyond the sizes and aesthetics.

Where I live in Singapore Im pretty sure I can get discounts on the MSRP at 15-20% (i had been previously offered a generous 28% from an AD during COVID, but seeing now that Singapore is basically back to normal for the most part, I expect 15-20% to be the normal now). That will trim the cost to about about $5.5k USD for the ETA movement, and $7.5k USD for the B01 movement.

The budget I've set for myself is about $6.5k USD ($8-9k SGD) at max, so the 41 would fit very nicely in my budget. The B01 movement would be a good 1k over budget and I'm not too keen going over the budget.

The question of the day is that what am I missing if i were to go for the 41 (ETA) option in terms of performance? I understand that the B01 movement probably certain advantages, and to be fair having a display case back and the 3-6-9 subdial reverse panda aesthetics is quite appealing, but am I really losing that much for a difference of $2k USD?

Any opinion or thoughts will be much appreciated, and would love if any owners of the watches could share their experiences too!

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Not taking into consideration the in-house madness, to me the following are the items worth mentioning.

1. Prefer the blue dial better than the panda one.

2. Prefer 41 mm size way better. Not a fan of the 43mm size.

3. The B01 has smoother operation than the cam based ETA/Valjoux, so I prefer a bit better the B01 feeling

4. Prefer the tri-compax dial of the B01

5. The B01 does not wobble while winding, some like the wobble of the 7750, some do not. I guess this depends on who you ask.

6. The B01 has 72 hrs of power reserve, the 7750, around 46. This is an advantage to some, but to me it is not worth it.

If it was me, I would go for the blue dialed one, like the size and the looks. At the end try them both and get the one you like better

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Are you determined to buy new? If so, and those are the only two choices, I would go with the B01 purely due to the compax (3-6-9) layout vs the Valjoux-compax (6-9-12) layout.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have the 41mm with ETA. Had it fifteen years and it’s been a brilliant watch. It’s had 2 services in its time and is insanely accusrate. The 70 hour power reserve on the new model would be nice but no big deal.

I also have a Breitling Montbrillant Datora which is 43mm and there’s a noticeable difference but it’s not overwhelming. The pic below is not mine but it’ll give you an idea.

When you go to 46 or 48mm things go crazy. They look like dinner plates

And here’s a link to the story I wrote about flying with my 41 and using its features

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I personally prefer the blue 41, the date at 3 to me looks so much better than between 4 & 5.
The 7750 movement is also well proven & reasonable to service.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
The blue isn't a traditional Navi colour perhaps, but it's very striking.

The uplift in price for the B01 movement is high - in the UK, it's priced fully 50% higher. Thousands of pounds, it has to be a factor for some. I don't know if the higher movement specs justify it. Of the range, I'd probably pick the black 41mm with the (formerly) Valjoux movement. After all the first Navitimers came with a Valjoux inside :).

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
The B01 movement is one of the best chronographs currently on the market. Designed by the same guy who designed rolex's cal 4130, but after so he had that experience to learn from.

Compared to a decades old 7750, it's night and day.

·
Registered
143 Posts
If your wrist size is under 7 inches, I'd go with the 41. I used to have a 43 and with a lug to lug of over 50mm, I had too much overhang on my 6.5inch wrist and the watch never sat comfortably. If I had to choose again, I'd definitely go for the 41.

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Something like this is 40mm, no date, classic Navitimer look, very limited edition of just 400 and obtainable for under US$6.5K.

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
Or you could go for a watch like this that will eventually be recognised as being historic in the Breitling timeline, also for under US$6.5K.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The other thing I should mention is the choice of where you buy it. At an AD you’ll get some discount but you need to do your due diligence by looking at grey prices. Depending on the model you can get 30-50% off. Generally the higher discounts relate to less popular watches - not Navitimer.

I picked up a new strap from Breitling boutique and overheard the store manager trying to convince a customer to pay full price to get a Breitling cap, pen, shirt and chocolates.

Skip the free hat and buy one on eBay for $60 and save money buying grey. Just check that you get a Breitling warranty.

If you don’t get a Breitling warranty, a full service/overhaul costs about $800 to $1000 - so if you save more than $1k, consider that the potential downside.

·
Registered
5,863 Posts
The B01 movement is one of the best chronographs currently on the market. Designed by the same guy who designed rolex's cal 4130, but after so he had that experience to learn from.

Compared to a decades old 7750, it's night and day.
'Old up 'old up. I keep reading hereabouts that Rolex's movements were made by a third-party supplier owned by the Aegler family at the time of the 4130's introduction, being called Montres Rolex SA (and nothing to do with Rolex SA apparently!) and therefore the developer of the 4130, which should really be called the "Aegler 4130" and not developed by Rolex at all.

That is, if the goalposts haven't moved this week :)

(The 4130 was developed at Rolex Bienne, the location of the Aegler business that by 2004 was entirely integrated into Rolex operationally and strategically, despite having a different shareholding structure.)

Later someone will be along to claim that the B01 is actually developed by Kenissi, or something...

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
The 3-6-9 layout is classic, and the more historically accurate navitimer.

The blue 6-9-12 layout is the 7750 base chronograph.

Its like the speedy pro vs speedy date. Outside of the name, they are not the same watch if you ask me, And impossible to really compare.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
'Old up 'old up. I keep reading hereabouts that Rolex's movements were made by a third-party supplier owned by the Aegler family at the time of the 4130's introduction, being called Montres Rolex SA (and nothing to do with Rolex SA apparently!) and therefore the developer of the 4130, which should really be called the "Aegler 4130" and not developed by Rolex at all.

That is, if the goalposts haven't moved this week :)

(The 4130 was developed at Rolex Bienne, the location of the Aegler business that by 2004 was entirely integrated into Rolex operationally and strategically, despite having a different shareholding structure.)

Later someone will be along to claim that the B01 is actually developed by Kenissi, or something...
I'm not trying to discuss the origins of the 4130 movement beyond the involvement of one of the key designers in both calibers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts