WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the new owner of a Breitling and don't have a clue what I am doing and needed some help. A friend of the family bought the watch a few years ago at the Reno air races. He is an older gentleman and basically he started messing with the knobs and messed it up. After sending it to a dealer it was going to be $766.90 to repair the watch (looks like they had to replace the Polished middlecase steel with crown tube and pushers along with a complete service). He didn't want to pay the money to get it fixed and said if I wanted it I could have it. So I paid the money to repair the watch. I now have the watch back from the Breitling repair place in Wilton, CT and it is not running. I have no idea how to even make it run since there is no owners manual. It does have the rest of the paperwork with it like the certificate of authenticity (assuming that is what the yellow certificate is). Since I just paid to get it repaired I certainly don't want to going pushing and prodding at the knobs and damage it again. Not even sure what model it is. It shows on the repair order that the serial number is CS-A13352. It has on the back A13352 and below that 447866. It has a white face (with a Reno symbol on it), thre dials on the left side and three knobs on the left and a steel band). I thought it would be easy to figure this out on the net, but haven't had much luck so far. If somebody could tell me what the model name is and point me in the right direction that would be great. It is a nice looking watch and I think I got a good deal, but don't even know how to set the time, so it is of little use at the moment. Thanks to anyone who can help me.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Hello xxnanook,

I want to help. Can you tell me which city you are in?

And does the watch look pretty much like this one?

1- The repair is covered by a 1 year warranty. So you should not have any problems.

2- If you want a manual, call BUSA they will usually send one at no charge if available.

3- Depending on the model do not expect the second hand to move, on most "B"s it is the Chronograph sweep.

4- Did you try jump starting it by manually winding it ~20turns?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually now that I look at the receipt it has been over a year. Didn't think I put it off to the side for that long. I didn't even try to wind it. Got it through it off to the side of the desk and am now just getting back to it. I will give BUSA a call and try to get the owners manual. Hopefully I can gewt what model this is figured out. Here are a few pictures of the watch. Appologize for the poor quality. My good camera just ran out of batteries. Appreciate your help with this.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am in Detroit Michigan, and I think the watch looks similar to the one above, just with a metal band and a white face.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Unscrew the crown. (center knob at 3 o'clock) Pull the crown out, you will feel 2 detents. The center crown setting is to set the date. With the crown all the way out, you can adjust the time. With the crown pushed in all the way but not screwed in, you can manually wind the watch. The top button at 2 o'clock is to start the chronograph and stop it. The bottom button at 4 o'clock is to rest the chronograph. Hope this helps. Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here are some better pics of the watch. I did unscrew the crown. Will have to get the hang of it on how to set stuff. To be honest after the repair bill I am a bit nervous to do anything. The watch is running now. The second hand on the face doesn't move, but the small dial (at 9 o'clock) seems to be the second hand. This watch isn't making me feel very smart. I appreciate your help so far. Does anyone know what model it is? Think the best advice so far is to get the owners manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm, I got the watch running and chronograph works good. I was setting the date and it got half way between the 6 and the 7th and it stopped moving. Also it doesn't seem to set the time. It is running. Hope I didn't screw something up.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,073 Posts
Hi,
You have a stop watch as well as a normal watch. The stop watch is also called a chronograph. To start the chronograph you give a firm push to the button at 2 o'clock.
To stop it you push the same button again. At this point you have two choices. Reset the chronograph to zero by pushing the button at 4 o'clock or restarting it by pushing the button at 2. You can start/stop the chronograph endlessly if necessary as one might in timing a football game then reset it back to zero once the game is over. The chronograph will accumulate elapsed time. Up to 30 minutes at on the 12 o'clock sub dial(2 revolutions/hour) and up to 12 hours on the 6 o'clock sub dial. The sub dial at 9 is called the constant seconds and will run as long as the watch is running. The big centre second hand runs when the chronograph is being used and obviously helps track seconds as the chronograph accumulates time on the other sub dials. The chronograph will run as long as necessary and is not limited to 12 hours of operation. You just have to note when a half day has passed and the chronograph goes into the next recording period.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the detailed explanation of the chronograph. Makes perfect sense. No I am just having trouble setting the date and time. Started to set the date and it stopped inbetween the 6 and the 7. Now it won't go any farther and the time won't set. Not sure if I am doing something wrong, or it isn't working properly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of the help guys. Appreciate your time. I went down to a local Breitling dealer that happened to be around the corner from me and he checked me out. I just didn't have the crown pulled out far enough. I will get a manual from BUSA. Otherwise I love the watch and thinbk I will be a lifer. Almost got talked into another model while I was there.
And yes John, I am for real. Just an everyday, ... how would you say...Bloke, that just needed a little guidance because I knew nothing about a Breitling. If I ever post again please feel free to not respond. I am sorry the questions were too trivial for you.

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
9,073 Posts
Thats good to hear xxnanook, now the final piece of the puzzle... the quick set date should not be advanced between the hours of 8pm and 2am. Between these hours the movement is engaged to advance the date ring. If you force it during this period it the cogs and levers may be damaged. If you have to advance the date for what ever reason, during the stated hours, this is done by rotating the hands through the required hours with the crown. This also tells us that the movement has an AM and PM part of the cycle and by manually setting the date we can accurately place the movement in the correct part of the day so it advances the date at midnight and not midday which can happen if one doesn't pay attention. Method..use the quick date and set the day one day before the required day then pull out the crown and advance the hands until the date changes to the correct one and continue on to set the time within that 24hr period.
Thanks for posting and welcome to our forum. Lastly, rev up that good camera, find the macro setting and knock off a few good shots for us :)!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of your help. Dealer told me about the 8PM and 2AM. Reason why newbies like me shouldn't have fine watches without some guidance. I will not be changing times in the middle of the night that is for sure. Sounds like I might need one of those auto winders if I am not going to wear it all the time. Seems like that might save me some time.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts