WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was given a Pluton "Academy" for a birthday many years ago (circa 1998/1999). I love the watch and it holds a fair amount of sentimental value.

Recently I took into my local Breitling Service Centre (Sydney, AUS) to have it overhauled and get a few repairs done. It has taken a knock at some stage and one of the buttons as gone. I also have problems with the digital part of the watch gaining and loosing time at random times in random amounts amongst other issues.

I was surprised that the service centre would not touch the watch because it was "to old!" They would not even change the battery or polish it. Has anyone else had a similar response from a service centre? If I sent it to Switzerland, would they complete the service?

I have included a few pictures of the watch below for some viewing pleasure!

Cheers.

Academy1.jpg Academy2.jpg Academy3.jpg

·
Registered
832 Posts
DKSH in Sydney (the official Breitling repair centre) is currently servicing my circa 1996 Cosmonaute, so I suspect the issue is with the fact it is an older model quartz movement more so than just the age.

Being a relatively common quartz movement (Miyota Y652 I believe) , I would have thought any reasonable watchmaker in Sydney should be able to help you out, but they would replace any used parts with generic parts rather than 'Breitling' ones (I'm not sure how much Breitling modified the movement in the Pluton Academy... can't imagine too much being a quartz). You could always try Nick Hacko in the CBD and see what he can do.

Otherwise you could call DKSH and ask them in Breitling Switzerland would service it... or even just email/call Breitling SA directly.

You might also like the thread on it's history over here https://www.watchuseek.com/f39/breitling-pluton-academy-intruder-range-brief-history-98.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
I ran into the same problem with my Pluton last summer. Breitling no longer carries service parts for Plutons, and will no longer touch them. Maybe you can find an independent source for parts and service.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Make sure you email or call first... Hacko doesn't do "drop in" and requires a booking (for buying or selling at least... not sure how strict he is with service questions. Treat him like you would the Soup Naz! from Seinfeld and you'll get along just fine!)

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good luck in getting this incredible and rare timepiece back into full working order.

Thanks for posting the excellent pictures.

Rick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts