WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,386 Posts
OK, I'm clearly missing something here. You guys obviously aren't this outraged about a dive watch being placed in an ad with airplanes...

·
Registered
900 Posts
I'm not sure which detail you are referring to when you say this seems "wrong". I noticed a couple of possible issues though:

1. Obviously the SOH Chrono isn't their most aviation-related watch, so I'm not sure why that's the watch they chose for the ad. A Navitimer would have been more appropriate.
2. Also, I'm pretty sure (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that the SOH Chrono uses a 7750 movement, so the little paragraph that discusses Breitling developing "sturdy, functional, ultra-high performance" chronographs is a tad misleading if you ask me, considering that all they really did was create a (very well designed and constructed, I'm sure) casing for someone else's movement, which was already known for its reliability, functionality, performance, etc.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
marketing - it's all about image

and about 95% of their ad involves aviation, regardless of the watch

that aviation image pertains to Breitling as a whole brand - not necessarily just the watch

and thinking where it's placed, in a fitness magazine where 'image' is king, that image of soaring jets is very, very fitting

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
1. Obviously the SOH Chrono isn't their most aviation-related watch, so I'm not sure why that's the watch they chose for the ad. A Navitimer would have been more appropriate.
2. Also, I'm pretty sure (please, correct me if I'm wrong) that the SOH Chrono uses a 7750 movement, so the little paragraph that discusses Breitling developing "sturdy, functional, ultra-high performance" chronographs is a tad misleading if you ask me, considering that all they really did was create a (very well designed and constructed, I'm sure) casing for someone else's movement, which was already known for its reliability, functionality, performance, etc.
The bulk of the ad is just standard boilerplate. The verbiage talks about breitling, not the watch in the picture. That exact ad does exist with a Navitimer, and Chronomat, and Co-Pilot...

·
Registered
20,990 Posts
A dive watch in an aviation-based ad is very funny. Should have been a Navitimer.

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
It's just a watch. Who cares if it's designated a dive watch or a pilot watch, it does the same thing.

And those saying they should used a Navitimer, I'd find it a little hard to read it at a glance just sitting on my sofa, let alone pulling 8G and looping the loop. Maybe they could have gone with an Aerospace but a SOH is fine.

·
Registered
5,494 Posts
Should they even advertise the Breitling "Emergency"? :)

Maybe the 3 watches tie them together:
Navitimer (when in the air), Emergency (when on the water or going down towards water), Super Ocean (when IN the water).

·
Registered
900 Posts
Should they even advertise the Breitling "Emergency"? :)

Maybe the 3 watches tie them together:
Navitimer (when in the air), Emergency (when on the water or going down towards water), Super Ocean (when IN the water).
Everyone knows you should never fly without at least 3 Breitlings on your person, just in case.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Most of this magazine readers won't be able to tell the mismatch. But for those who can tell, it is an eyesore...

Sent from my GT-I8160 using Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 27 Posts