WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some help in deciding between these two, as they both are watches within my price point of 5K.
I like the Super Avenger but it seems like more of a fashion trend which will fade out with the big dial, thickness, and shine, while the Carrera seems as a classic time piece that will last.
I tried both them out, and like both of the equally.
need help deciding?
IMG00477-20121226-1209.jpg IMG00479-20121226-1940.jpg

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The SA is going on 10 years of production and is one of Breitling's most popular sellers. I don't think fashion trend applies in this case. It's an incredible watch but not for the faint of heart!!!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Breitling is way too blingly, too big & too sporty. I hate drawing attention with my watch, blacksteel would be better choice if you had to get the Breitling. In this case, I would go with Carrera, more versatile and more of understatement.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
some of the arguments/points i get are that the Carrera seems like any other ordinary watch, can't tell that your wearing a luxury/expensive watch

In some cases, that is exactly what the buyer wants.
As for that Carrera, not a big fan. Other manufacturers do that style better and honestly, it isn't even a "traditional" TAG Heuer (or Heuer) Carrera style.
Then again, I don't like that Breitling at all.

If, as your post suggests, you do want people to notice your big expensive watch, get the Breitling.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I like the Tag more that the Breitling, but I have to admit that neither really does it for me.

If I were getting a Carrera chrono, I wouldn't get anything but an 1887. Better (and in-house-ish) movement, cleaner look, and just more classic in my mind.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
The Tag is one of my grails so I'm obviously biased. I also think it does a better job of pulling double duty aesthetically in both casual and formal settings than the Breitling. I just couldn't imagine that big ol thing shining out from under a tux jacket without looking out of place.

If I had the money to have the Breitling as a watch to wear at certain times, it wouldn't be a bad option.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the Carrera seems like a watch i can pull off with both casual/formall wear, while the Super Avenger would seem some what what tacky wearing with a suit but would go very well with casual wear

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
To sporty, large, shiny...well that's what many look for in a chronograph watch! If you want something subdued, mainstream, and typical look for a simplistic 3 hander.
I don't adhere to watch wearing rules, find my SA is quite diverse and goes rather nice with a collared shirt. If you are a larger human, it looks just fine

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1356640563.009838.jpg

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I agree with your analysis. I think that Carrera has more lasting appeal than the Breitling. However, neither one of these does much for me and would not be on my wishlist for a chronograph. I think the Carrerra is still too busy of a dial to be ideal, and it really isn't all that aesthetically pleasing either. With this budget, I would take a look at grey market Zenith if I were you.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
I agree with your analysis. I think that Carrera has more lasting appeal than the Breitling. However, neither one of these does much for me and would not be on my wishlist for a chronograph. I think the Carrerra is still too busy of a dial to be ideal, and it really isn't all that aesthetically pleasing either. With this budget, I would take a look at grey market Zenith if I were you.
YUP!!...|>

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Looking for a watch which has a steel bracelet,big dial. and the Zenith models seem a little beyond my price point. Also this being my first luxury watch, I want to stay away from the grey market.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Looking for a watch which has a steel bracelet,big dial. and the Zenith models seem a little beyond my price point. Also this being my first luxury watch, I want to stay away from the grey market.
For 5k, I would not pick any of those two to be honest. However, that is me and at the end of the day you have to like the watch. I love Breitling. I have 3 Breitlings myself but the SA does not do it for me.

For 5k from an AD, you should be able to get an black dial Breitling Old Navitimer, Breitling SOH, 2500D Omega PO.... so much choice... then again, that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Not a fan of the super avenger, its the biggest flashest, most pointless of the breitling watches imo. However I far prefer Breitling to Tag. I would seriously advise looking at the other breitling models. In particular the superocean Heritage, Transocean and navitimer chronos.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts