WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been given the luxury of being able to choose a watch that I want for an important event with a budget under $3500.

I am a fan of military and pilot watches, and always seem to flip any other type of watches I buy but keep the pilots/military pieces. So, I have safely gone for the type that I like because I don't ever want to sell this.

I have extensively researched high and low for a month and brought it down to these two. I like the clear legible dials and the neatness of these two pieces. No other watches(be it a swiss luxury brand, german brands or a microbrand) attracted me like these two.

I would like to hear experiences from owners of the Bremont Broadsword/Weiss Standard Issue Field watch on the build quality,QC and time keeping of these pieces.

Pictures for reference, and also- if I missed any other watch that looks similar to these , do let me know! I also like the 42mm Weiss field watch with the sub seconds at "9" but wondering if its too big for me at 49.7mm lug to lug on my 6.25" wrists.

Weiss Standard Issue Field Watch (38mm)

Weiss Standard Issue Field Watch (42mm)

Bremont Broadsword (40mm)

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
I don't have any firsthand knowledge of these, but just based on the info in your post, and the fact they look very similar, I would get the Weiss 38mm if I were you. Smaller works better for your wrist and no date.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I have owned a Weiss for about 3 years. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it right now. To me, there's something very special about knowing the person who, by hand, assembled my watch. The fit and finish is wonderful. And the accuracy is excellent. While not "Made in America", it's about as close as you can get. I'm sure that the Bremont is a fine watch, but I'd keep my Weiss.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have owned a Weiss for about 3 years. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing it right now. To me, there's something very special about knowing the person who, by hand, assembled my watch. The fit and finish is wonderful. And the accuracy is excellent. While not "Made in America", it's about as close as you can get. I'm sure that the Bremont is a fine watch, but I'd keep my Weiss.
is that the titanium limited edition version? Looks sweet in blue mate

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Personally, I like the Bremont execution here. I can't believe I said that, I'm not a Bremont fan. They are usually overpriced. Can we get cost info?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,920 Posts
Personally, I like the Bremont execution here. I can't believe I said that, I'm not a Bremont fan. They are usually overpriced. Can we get cost info?

I've seen ONE Bremont I really like, but can't pull the trigger cause I can't help but think, 'For that price I could have....'

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ah yes,I forgot the price. Tbh I am not a Bremont fan either. But I can't seem to lean onto any other small seconds field watches bar these two.

Bremont Broadsword - 3,300
Weiss- 1,450

I am a singaporean and the Bremont price is basically a direct exchange rate calculation of the AD's price here in SG. Weiss price is as per their website.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I had a Weiss for a short time and ended up flipping it. I wanted to love it but just didn't. Something about the shape of the lugs just didn't do it for me and I prefer my field watches to have a 24 hour track like the Hamilton Khaki. The fact that there is no bracelet option other than straight end didn't help either. I think I got one of the last ones at the old price, which was I thought was pretty hefty, and now it's even more expensive.

·
Premium Member
38,791 Posts
I too like the look of the Bremont, but not the overinflating pricing, nor the basic movement, so I vote for the Weiss as well.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
The official US price for the Bremont Broadsword is $3,445.00; on bracelet it's +$600.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a 42mm Weiss with white dial. I like it tons and love the story about Cameron and his art. Its as close to made in the usa as I can get without buying a rgm.
Accuracy is good at around 8spd I think.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Here is a watch much better than those shown -- Damasko DK 105
. Manufacture movement, tough and water resistant too. Can be had w/gray dial. Significantly below your $3500 budget.

·
Premium Member
9,576 Posts
I have to echo the general sentiment...the Bremont execution is nice and I prefer it too, but good gosh, the price they're asking is crazy for the package. I am, at times, willing to spend the extra money as something of a patronage purchase, but Bremont doesn't need my patronage...and the premium they're asking is excessive, IMO. OTOH, doing it on the Weiss feels more reasonable.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great to find this discussion topic, as I recently purchased the 38mm Weiss with the black dial and olive straps, as pictured above, and it arrived just last week. It's far too soon for me to be conclusive about it, of course, but I'm certainly enjoying it so far and for my tastes I made the right decision. I prefer the hands on the Weiss, the slightly smaller size, and I'm occasionally a curmudgeon about date windows; I also think the design vibe is more fun and outdoorsy than the Bremont, and agree with TedG954 that the watch comes with a good story. That said, just my two cents, and I can't see you going wrong with either one!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts