WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is not the first quartz Swatch I have owned, but my only other experience has been with a vintage Swatch Jelly Fish Chronometer and compared to that, this watch is LOUD.

In fact, having owned more than fifty watches of various brands and movement types, I can honestly say that this is the loudest I have ever heard. It even eclipses the famously loud tick of the Rolex Oysterquartz. It is perhaps not the only watch in my collection that I can hear whilst I'm wearing it but it is the only one I don't have to listen carefully for. It is distractingly loud and if I take it off and leave it on the far side of my desk, a couple of yards away, it is still incredibly loud.

Well, you get the picture. I don't think I need to say anything more about how loud this watch is.

Functionally, this watch is definitely more for the casual wearer than for someone who wants to know the precise time. There are hour markers but no individual minute markers. The second hand is equally long at both ends so you cannot be sure whether you're approaching the 30 seconds or the 60 seconds point (or any other diametrically opposed points) other than once every five minutes when the minute hand aligns with an hour marker.

Then there's the fact that the seconds don't hack. I am used to this with my Sistem51s and it is also a feature of my Seiko 5, so I know it is common in less-expensive mechanical watches. Nevertheless, in the wider world of inexpensive quartz watches a non-hacking second hand is still rather unusual.

It's less than half the price of either of my Sistem51s, of course, but wearing the new Club watch on one wrist and a Sistem51 on the other, today, I am struck by the difference in quality. The strap, I would say, is of identically good quality, but the crown is difficult to manipulate, the stem doesn't pull or set very easily and the dial is very much in the 'just ok' category.

So why buy it? Well, it is not a challenging design to live with. Overall, the watch is a sedate, dark blue, with just a few accents of colour to add a hint of brightness. It is a little quirky but not conspicuously so. You could wear it to the office or on a night out. It's versatile. And, of course, its purchase elevates you to the 'premium' level of the Swatch Club (or renews your annual membership) and Swatch will send a little goodybag to you. I haven't received my goodybag, yet, but descriptions of the contents are readily available on the Web and I suppose they go some way to justifying the slightly premium price on this otherwise bottom tier watch. By way of comparison, this watch cost me £51 whilst the GB301 Blackwater (which appears to be of very similar construction) costs just £32.

I do now wonder whether all modern quartz Swatches are this loud (sorry, I mentioned it again) and if so, whether I could get used to the noise. I am trying the watch out, today, but the ticking is just driving me crazy and I am not sure whether I will make it through to clocking off time.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I always hear the Timex guys complain about ticking...I'm like have you ever owned a New Gent? I keep all of my Swatches in a kitchen cabinet, when I open it up it's like the buzzing of cicadas in there.

I've tried to "hack" these as much as I can...I also have a bit of a problem with the hands moving when I snap the crown back in.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Over the course of the day the office has got louder and so I haven't noticed the sound of the watch quite so much. I definitely wouldn't leave it on my nightstand, though.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I have decided to give the watch to my 4-year-old son. He loves my watches (or, at least, he loves playing with them, watching the hands go round, seeing the mechanical bits moving (in those with exhibition backs) and opening and closing the clasps) and I have found that he likes this one best of all.

The one thing he can't do with my watches is hear them tick, even when he is wearing his hearing aids. Finally, with this watch, we have found one that he can hear! To me, the tick is an important aspect of any analogue watch and even though it can be very quiet on some watches, I somehow find it reassuring to be able to put a watch to my ear and pick up that steady, rhythmic beat that tells you that the wonders of modern micro-mechanical time-keeping are at work inside. Maybe it isn't a huge deal, but I'm glad my son can now hear this, too.

Definitely going to be starting a nice, noisy Swatch collection for him, I think ;-)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts