WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been quite a while since the last Bring a Brain instalment. Since then, one most interesting development took place - a rant-worthy development, of course - but more on that later. Without further ado: lads and lasses, this is your Bring a Brain!

First, obviously, we'll have a look at some vintage watches.

First, this Tudor Advisor:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/vintage-watches/products/1964-tudor-advisor-reference-7926?variant=606295588879

"The alarm [...] is currently off by about an hour." Honesty much appreciated, however selling a watch with a technical defect leaves a rather bad taste in the mouth.
Also, I seriously doubt the lume is tritium. Tritium-dialed Advisors had the appropriate "T" markings. While 1964 is late for radium, it was still being used. And given that Advisors featured radium dials alright (the 7926 was introduced in 1957, if my memory serves me well), it is fairly safe to assume that this particular specimen is one of them. That said, lume incorrectly identified.

Now, this IWC cal. 89:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/vintage-watches/products/1960s-iwc-dress-watch-with-caliber-89?variant=712807481359

The hand colour doesn't quite match that of the markers. Not necessarily is it a definitive proof of a swap having taken place, but it does seem somewhat incriminating. However, what has me much more surprised, is that the estimated period of manufacture is off by a decade.
The Ranfft archive estimates a cal.89 specimen with a higher serial to have been made circa 1950:
bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: IWC 89
...and I trust the good Doctor's archive far more than Hodinkee's "experts."
Besides, just looking at the design of the watch, it's anything but 1960s in appearance.

Let's move on to this Enicar:
https://shop.hodinkee.com/collections/vintage-watches/products/1960s-enicar-sherpa-guide-600?variant=1106935676943

"Screw-in back?" Nope. It's a bayonet back, I've said it many times, as that's the nth time they confuse the EPSA bayonet back with a screw-in one. They never learn, do they?
Also, with this one, it's back to their old ways with no movement/case back pictures.
Neither did they bother to identify the movement.

Now, let's move on to the most unsavoury development of the year - as of recently, Hoodwinkee became an authorized retailer of a few watch brands.

On one hand, if they'd be selling contemporary stuff only, it wouldn't be so bad, as the vintage market doesn't need them, and the likes of them. But in terms of ethics in journalism, this is unacceptable. I mean, you cannot really expect them to write an honest review of a watch by a brand they have an ongoing partnership with? While with the limited editions it was already unethical as hell, now it's worse. It's rant-worthy like it rarely was before. Let the rant commence! The game's afoot; follow your spirit, and upon this charge...

The news have been announced in a lengthy editorial, which in terms of the way it's written suggests, that the site should get another name. Like, Chas-Pravda, Komsomolskiy Chas, or anything which makes one hum "Soyuuuuz neeerushimyi riespublik svabodnyh splatila na vyeki vyelikaya Ruuuuus!"
Quite the same level of obvious propaganda drivel being shoved up the people's heads. The propaganda department and the Politburo would be proud.

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/new-hodinkee-shop-welcome

I have taken the liberty of ridiculing the most juicy drivel from the entire piece.

"Since we re-launched our vintage watch platform, we've sold hundreds of great vintage watches to new fans all over the world and increased both transparency and customer service, with cash-back return periods and free overnight insured shipping."

Ummm, how about no? How about: these watches were anything but great? And, what transparency? What service, with all the redials and frankenwatches?! The unserviced rubbish, the rust?!

"And while I started HODINKEE out of a pure love of watches and the act of storytelling, we've grown up quite a bit. Never did I think this little site would become a business, but when life gives you an opportunity to do something special, it's a mistake to not pursue it."

Storytelling... Well, if this is a way of addressing all the lies and obvious misinformation, it's still euphemistic, as it beats Andersen and the Brothers Grimm by an entire level.
"Special" is not quite the word I'd use. I mean, it is uncommon, but "special" sounds somewhat positive, which is very much out of place here.
Also, taking an opportunity and being an opportunist are notions miles apart from each other.

"We know how much our editorial coverage means to you, and you can be sure that nothing will change. We will continue to write about things we like and ignore the rest, just as we always have. And those fantastic editors that you love so much will never be told to write (or not write) anything at all, just as it is today. In fact, we hope that the move we are announcing today will actually increase transparency about our relationships with watch brands and other players in the industry. You know who we work with, you know who we don't – it's up to you to decide what to read, but we've found that the vast majority of our readership simply loves the content that we produce. If you're a fan of great writing, great photography, and great videos, get ready for some special things coming your way very soon"

Ummm, whaaaat? It's a little bit like saying "it will be foggy, but this means that the visibility will be much better." Well, if you really want to crash against the rocks, maybe. But please, have the decency not to steer the others towards said rocks.
This is pretty much where the lies become obvious. While previously the main concern was the credibility of reviews in the context of occasional collaborations, here we're supposed to believe, that they will actually be honest when writing reviews and coverage of brands that they have an active partnership with? Come on.
Their writing had credibility issues (and dear me, am I being euphemistic here!) for a long time already, but this time, it's an overt switch to advertorials, and they have the audacity, the gall to claim that there's any credibility to their content? Awww, by Jove!
I haven't read something quite as self-serving in quite a while.

For years, we've been propositioned by brands and retailers to become an affiliate of their online stores – the money was good, but we declined. We did so because we've always believed in doing things the right way, and until recently, we weren't sure we could deliver on something we would feel comfortable putting out there to the many thousands of watch lovers that now depend on HODINKEE.

All the lies, all the hype, all the ulterior motive for years, and now they honestly expect us to actually believe, that they thought it to be the right way? Also, it seems like they were comfortable with what they were doing so far, and what they're doing now. I, for one, wouldn't be able to look at myself in the mirror and say "I'm a good person" if I did as much as a fraction of what they did.
Then again, it's the Chas-Pravda, and all papers called Pravda have the unfortunate habit of expecting the people to believe (and making them believe) the most audacious and thinly veiled of lies.

We were told that after reading HODINKEE, few watch salespeople could even hold a conversation with these customers about the latest releases.

Given the level of knowledge presented by H, this speaks particularly ill of said salespeople.

Here's the thing about watches today: a lot of 'em kinda suck. And we know that. That's why over on the editorial side of HODINKEE, you just see stories about the good ones. Why waste your time (and our own) covering things that simply aren't worthy of coverage?

Why? Why? Let me think- because journalism isn't about just telling people the good news, and skipping all the bad? For the sake of honesty, of warning people against all the rubbish out there? This might just be the poorest justification for focusing on praise only, and being oblivious to everything else, that I’ve ever heard. Then again, being selectively oblivious can be expected of ones who sell their souls. Besides, dismissing the rubbish as not worthy of coverage is only a tell-tale sign of complete and utter ignorance. If it’s rubbish, that’s precisely why people need to know about it! Again, they fail to steer the people away from the rocks.

We've seen that the watch world is not invincible, so let's make sure we push each other to make the whole industry more inviting, friendly, and enjoyable. I don't think anyone can argue with that.

Oh, I can argue with that. Mainly because they’re not making the push in the right direction. How does becoming an advertorial site making the industry inviting, friendly, or enjoyable?
A site doing vintage watch coverage, mostly with the intention of creating hype, becomes even more ridden with ulterior motive upon teaming up with the manufacturers. That’s because killing the market for vintage watches is the manufacturers’ game. They welcome the popularity of their vintage watches, but the accessibility of them doesn’t sit well with the manufacturer. So it’s very much in their interest to drive the vintage watches out of the average collector’s reach, and to drive the collector right into their welcoming arms, because they just happen to have a re-issue or a modern ersatz to offer.

Henceforth, I won’t call them a blog, or a news outlet. I will refer to them as an advertorial site, because that’s what it is. An advertorial site.

That's all for this instalment of Bring a Brain – hope you have enjoyed it.

As always, Bring a Brain will return if necessary!

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
You are correct about the mis-dating of the IWC. According to the DateYourIWC Applet (http://moeb.on-rev.com/dyIWC/dyIWC.irev):

The movement (1160394) is a calibre 89, dating from the year 1948.
The case (1185218) was most probably produced resp. delivered around 1950.

-----------------

This was an odd comment:

"
Here's the thing about watches today: a lot of 'em kinda suck. And we know that. That's why over on the editorial side of HODINKEE, you just see stories about the good ones."

How exactly do current watches "kinda suck", and what makes the ones profiled by Hodinkee better? When I look at the watches profiled in their editorials, they seem pretty standard to me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I echo your sentiment, any time I see an unserviced dirty old watch in my collection-featured on the HODONKEY site I quadruple the value immediately........... (not that i sell them).

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Here's the thing about watches today: a lot of 'em kinda suck. And we know that. That's why over on the editorial side of HODINKEE, you just see stories about the good ones. Why waste your time (and our own) covering things that simply aren't worthy of coverage? - Hodinkee

I agree this is strange declaration. They will never post a review that is critical of a watch because they will only critique watches that don’t suck. I understand they are hostage to the brands that pay them but that is an incredibly saccharine comment from a blog that prides itself on the quality of its journalism.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I made a double post so I thought I'd a little background comment on who runs Hodinkee now and its not Ben Clymer.

This is old news now but this guy is the chief executive and his name is Kevin Rose.

He is the founder of Watchville and has big plans to generate revenue out of Hodinkee . Seems like he is pulling the strings to make it happen.

“Long term our play is certainly a lot deeper than content,” he said.

Steve Hallock, a long-time watch industry observer, wrote “One thing is for certain, they are not playing around at this point. This is a big move. Kevin and this investor list would not be involved if they didn’t recognize the major opportunities here to become more than simply the best high end watch blog on the planet.

https://techcrunch.com/2015/06/11/kevin-roses-watchville-and-watch-blog-hodinkee-find-the-time-to-merge/

Regards,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Wow, what a great read... I used to regard hodinkee pretty highly...
The longer you stay in the game, the more you realize that everyone's got something to gain. I personally am not as critical of Hodinkee, given they've really pushed and developed watch journalism to reach a larger audience.

However, what I can't forgive are all the auction houses that put things up for $$$$$ and don't even have the decency to service said watches. Like, if I'm going to be paying $50K for watch you can at least make sure it works for me.

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The longer you stay in the game, the more you realize that everyone's got something to gain. I personally am not as critical of Hodinkee, given they've really pushed and developed watch journalism to reach a larger audience.

However, what I can't forgive are all the auction houses that put things up for $$$$$ and don't even have the decency to service said watches. Like, if I'm going to be paying $50K for watch you can at least make sure it works for me.
While in the very beginning they weren't that bad, IMO while they did bring it to a larger audience, they dragged down the quality of watch journalism. That said, their exploits are de facto only limited to marketing.

It's not only the auction houses. Hoodwinkee sells unserviced watches for thousands, tens of thousands of dollars - and it's more than visible. Rust. Dirt. Tar-like old grease.
Many dealers also sell unserviced watches - sadly, Hoodwinkee has put their seal of approval on such practices by hyping the listings of these dealers, the lots at auction houses, and by doing the same thing themselves.

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
A huge thank you for making me laugh loud. The departure of Louis hasn't changed a thing at Hoodwinkee, they are the same bunch of jerks and crooks as it was before. As usual same stuff in beyond junkpile condition at horrendous prices. They aren't journalists, they are just surfing on a hype vague with people who are just amateurs and not big names in watch collecting. Furthermore, their way to kiss auction houses and big brand's asses is also another reason why they still exist. Wouldn't it be for them, would they be just another mediocre and beyond poor watch blog. But no, the hype is the nerve of the war....
Maybe Kevin should have serious look at the reputation of Hoddinkee has because it is not going to go better. A lot of collectors are going to be more unforgiving when they buy something and I think the rep of Hoodwinkee and the condition of the watches they sell should be spread on all other watch communities to avoid people being crooked.
There are a few good watch blogs but Hoodwinkee is not a part of them.I don't consider their watch sales people to be watch sales people because they know jacksh*t to watches.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
With respect to who is the chief executive at Hodinkee I need to amend info regarding my post #7. Seems Ben Clymer is back at the helm again.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/04/03/kevin-rose-is-going-back-to-cali-and-joining-true-ventures-as-venture-partner/

Entrepreneur-investor Kevin Rose is relinquishing his role as CEO of Hodinkee, a New York-based site for wristwatch enthusiasts, and moving back to California.
According to a newly published Medium post, Rose will work as a venture partner at the early-stage venture firm True Ventures.
Rose was famously the co-founder of Digg, the once-popular link-sharing message board that was later sold to Betaworks for not much. By the time of its 2012 sale, Rose had already formed and sold his own startup incubator, Milk, to Google in an apparent acqui-hire, and was working for its venture arm, now called GV.
Rose later started another incubator, North Technologies, creating a news aggregation app focused on wristwatches that he merged with Hodinkee. He moved to Manhattan after that.
Now, Hodinkee founder Benjamin Clymer is returning to his former role of CEO, and Rose is off to the Bay Area offices of True Ventures, which, not coincidentally, is Hodinkee’s largest outside shareholder. - lifted from techcrunch .

Regards,

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
The seller: 'The Tudor Advisor boasts an Oyster case with super cool alarm function. Need we say more?'

No, for heaven's sake!, don't say more! Go and sell hotdogs!

On second thought: Oh, no, no!, please don't sell hotdogs either! I don't want to bite into one for $259,99, with that very, very special rusty brown sausage casing, finely matching the bright yellow of the mustard and a mere four weeks over the use-by date.

HOTDINKEE Lol lol lol....

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Hoodinkee = Yugo Car Salesman selling as if the cars are made of gold.

They know they have a piece of junk. They know there are issues....but hey hype it up and tell everyone that they are superior cars enough...at some point a sucker puts up the cash.

I will stick to the little fish sellers thank you. I would rather buy a watch where the seller says they don't know when it was last serviced and they just picked it up from a garage sale. Give me pics and answer a few honest questions and I will pay a fair price. I don't need some salesmen to give me my opinion of a watch. Opinions of fellow collectors though...always welcome.

Why does Hodinkee give me that infomercial feel? "But wait, there's more!"

·
Premium Member
12,939 Posts
The seller: 'The Tudor Advisor boasts an Oyster case with super cool alarm function. Need we say more?'

No, for heaven's sake!, don't say more! Go and sell hotdogs!

On second thought: Oh, no, no!, please don't sell hotdogs either! I don't want to bite into one for $259,99, with that very, very special rusty brown sausage casing, finely matching the bright yellow of the mustard and a mere four weeks over the use-by date.

HOTDINKEE Lol lol lol....
This post made my day, thank you again:-!:-d

Reactions: Border-Reiver

·
Registered
7,777 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why does Hodinkee give me that infomercial feel? "But wait, there's more!"
Well, they're an informercial/advertorial site, so... I only pity those, who still take Hodinkee's writing seriously.

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
that Sherpa is piece of crap. I have sold a fully rehauled one for the quarter of the price.on original BOR bracelet. Also bezel is after market and crystal has cracks on edge. Caseback is overpolished. OMG.. Do they sleep calmly!?

IWC has serious flaws on dial. Also movement, caseback, edge of caseback have marks of heavy-duty opening. And the gunk on inside of lugs is pure insult to the normal person. Atleast you could have cleaned it for...wait..3k?!

·
Registered
7,911 Posts
They use the special toothpick made of bonsai tree, 300 years old, cotton tip from belly button of Dalai Lama and spit from a carefully preserved Wild Bill Hickoks spit bowl, where he spat just 30 minutes before he was gunned down? Right?

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
I know of an antique dealer that would fit in there great.....he got this Illinois pocket watch and it said A Lincoln on the movement and....... Yeah...you can guess and the $2000 price tag he stuck on it means your guess would be right.I guess every Zenith Respirator they come across was owned by JFK and if they put a hole in one they could say that one deflected a bullet from the grassy knoll. Then frame it with a spent casing and ask $1 Mill. Of course don't clean any of them and it does not matter if the style is correct for the period.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts