WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a bad watch day - I have a vostok amphibian that runs great, but started clanking loundly inside. From the feel of it, I think the rotor fell off and is sliding around inside the case, but I don't have tools to open the back.

After that happened, I put on a Vostok Europe N1 Rocket that I had in the drawer. This watch has run fine the few times I've worn it, but when I wound and set it this time, it's gaining like 15 minutes a day! I hate to have it opened and adjusted, because to go from working fine to 15 minutes fast a day, something is obviously wrong.

Have either of these issues happened to anyone else? I need to buy a caseback tool to open the amphibian and reattach the rotor, but what the heck could have happened to the VE to make it run that fast so suddenly?

Thanks!

·
Registered
767 Posts
the rotor issue on the Vostok can happen to any watch really -- it's just a simple screw that holds it in place -- as can the fast running. The time is regulated by a swing bar above the balance wheel that controls the oscillations (I may not be using the 100% correct terms) and it can move out of place under the right conditions. It's not easy to do so, of course, but it can happen. The amount of time lost or gained is really just a matter of how much it moves and doesn't really say anything about the problem being any worse than if it were 1 minute a day or 10, as far as the repair goes at least.

Given how new the watch is (I'm assuming it was you that emailed me) I don't think the timekeeping problem would be caused by anything more significant than that.

If your diagnosis on the Vostok is correct, we can take care of both for you. The Rocket looks to be a warranty repair and I can keep the cost as low as possible on the Vostok.

As always, I give my disclaimer that anyone with better or more accurate info than I have, please share...

thanks,

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha - I posted this before I emailed about the warranty. I should have known the Russian watch world is a small one! :)

I really like both watches - I want to emphasize my post was more about my bad luck day - not knocking Vostoks!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
It's a shame you don't have the tool, though. You can fix the amphibia really fast
and as always, I link to my compatriots excellent thread The anatomy of a Vostok

edit: I also believe some autos need time to "settle in". I say keep your VE wound 3 days and see...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, I was mistaken - the VE has gained 30 minutes in the past five hours or so. I'll go ahead and send it in under warranty, and I think I'll just buy a caseback tool to fix the Amphibian rotor myself.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts