WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered that one of my case back screws has sheared off & now I'm looking to find out if anyone has any ideas on extracting the broken piece. It's broken off below the surface, so there's nothing to grab. Obviously, the water resistance is gone until I can get this fixed. Anybody got any ideas? Any way to seal the case back up & get some measure of water resistance back? I would really appreciate any help here guys. Too nice a watch to keep as a closet queen.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
I just discovered that one of my case back screws has sheared off & now I'm looking to find out if anyone has any ideas on extracting the broken piece. It's broken off below the surface, so there's nothing to grab. Obviously, the water resistance is gone until I can get this fixed. Anybody got any ideas? Any way to seal the case back up & get some measure of water resistance back? I would really appreciate any help here guys. Too nice a watch to keep as a closet queen.
wow, thats a tough one. sorry it happened !!!

er.......superglue?

or get a new watch?

that is a tough one to solve.:think:

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Which watch has the broken screw? I presume it is a resin case model. Can you provide pictures? Preferably with the rest of the screws out, and the back off as well.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Personally, I would not expect it to be water resistant ever again unless you can get that broken screw out and a new screw put back in. If you can't get it fixed keep it away from water...heck just buy a new one :):)

robert

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I would, except it is a beautiful Raysman I just got a couple of days ago.
Oh that is a shame :-s ... If it were mine, I would take it to a qualified professional watch repairer and ask them to use a micro drill to drill it out and then to re-tap a slightly larger screw into the case. That should be doable by someone who really knows the job, without to much bother. It might cost a few pounds, nothing excessive but it will save it from becoming a piece of junk and protect your investment ...... :think:

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I would, except it is a beautiful Raysman I just got a couple of days ago.
Wow, sorry to hear about the bad luck! I think Mike has the right idea. It's amazing that the screw broke in a resin case though :think:. The resin should have given way before the screw.

In any case, another option might be to use some JB Weld (if you want to attempt a manual repair). With the caseback off, I'd remove the module as well, and stuff some paper towel in to make sure you don't drip something in the case. Use a little bit of JB Weld on the end of the broken screw, and push the screw back together as if it wasn't broken (pay attention to the 'break' lines of the screw before you put JB on it to make sure it's lined up properly...and use very little JB Weld...too much and you might 'weld' the broken piece in!). Once it sets up and dries (probably overnight is best) you might be able to back out the screw.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Sorry to hear that!o|:-(

One method is to sacrifice a cheap screwdriver and once you have the backplate and the other screws removed then use some superglue on the tip of the screwdriver and push it against the broken screw and let it stick. If the screw is not put on hard it should be possible to unscrew it. Then you need to find a new screw....

A picture would be appreciated though so that we can look at the sitiuation....:think:

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Best I can manage (or as Bones would say in a Star Trek episode: "Damn it Jim, I'm a WIS, not a photographer!"):
Again, I still feel that is going to have to be drilled out and re-tapped. It would make a permanent good quality job that will ensure watertightness. You just need to find the right guy to do the job and again, a proper watchmaker should be the man. :-!

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
Best I can manage (or as Bones would say in a Star Trek episode: "Damn it Jim, I'm a WIS, not a photographer!"):

I seem to remember another post like this. I think it was recommended to use superglue or an equivalent in the stripped case thread, carefully screw in the rest of the screws and add the glue to the stripped one, then add the screw into the glue. I'd go with the other rec. first and use the glue idea if it can't be done.

Kev

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Need some reverse twist micro drills, then carefully drill into/out old screw. If only drilled into, then micro screw extractor. Otherwise, new, larger, replacement screw.

I'm thinking it might be a job for Casio. And if new enough, might be covered under warranty. Otherwise, they should be able to source replacement case.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not yet. I'm still thinking about some of the ideas. The last thing that I want to do is rush in & bugger the case for good. I'm thinking that it really needs to be drilled out, but I need to find the right way to do it first. The other screws were pretty well held in place by the years of "wabi"; I'm guessing that's whats holding the broken piece in still & I will somehow need to loosen up the accumulated "material" first before it will back out. I have replacement screws, so I really don't want to have to oversize the hole if possible. Still open to any & all suggestions.
:thanks

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I'm surprised Buzzbait hasn't chimed in on this one..... :think:
I honestly don't have any really good ideas. If it's a plastic case, there aren't a lot of workable solutions, as the screw is stronger than the case. Drilling out the screw would likely kill the case. I can't think of any way to utilize magnetism. I can't think of any way to get a latch on the screw. The end of the screw really needs to be slotted, so that a screwdriver could be used to back out the screw, but any file or dremel work would likely ruin the case hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.