WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this from a WUS member in Jan. 2011 on the private sales forum. That person is no longer here or I probably would not post this. This model was being ripped off quite a bit but there was a video on youtube.com that showed a way to watch the operation of the stopwatch function subdial to tell if this Edifice was genuine or not. This watch passed that test. Do you think it is a real Casio? Would we see a real Casio with the 3 o'clock marker fallen off (evident in picture)? This watch is Edifice EFX-500SP-1A, or at least it is supposed to be.. LOL.... Your thoughts would be appreciated. ---Gawain (no stranger to Casio watches)

untitled-0744 by Gawain33, on Flickr

untitled-0743 by Gawain33, on Flickr

untitled-0741 by Gawain33, on Flickr

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I know exactly 0.3 zilch about Edifice models, but a defective dial doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake.

·
Registered
20,580 Posts
I think it's genuine, the hour marker on a watch could come off, it's not often but not impossible.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I thought... I think I'll take it apart and see if I can fix it.... thanks!

I know exactly 0.3 zilch about Edifice models, but a defective dial doesn't necessarily mean it's a fake.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks lvt! I've never heard of such a thing, but I agree with your statement.

I think it's genuine, the hour marker on a watch could come off, it's not often but not impossible.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
First time I've ever seen that on a Casio (seen it many times with mechanicals, from Seiko to Omega to Tissot), but there's always a first. I've never toke apart an Edifice, but if they're straightforward as Gs it won't be hard to fix it yourself.
Just be careful with what and how much glue you use.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Looks genuine to me.

Marker falling off is indeed very dissapointing for a watch collector, but it's nothing major. It happens to a lot of models, even saw it on IWC and Omega.

Seems like they used not enough glue to hold it in place or watch has been bumped into something?

It's an easy fix, matter of opening up the watch, glueing it back and closing. The worst thing that could happen is to leave some dust or debris on inside of crystal when putting watch back together :-d I should know lol...

·
Registered
904 Posts
Looks genuine to me.

Needs just a fraction of glue between the two little holes the marker's feet go into on the dial. Actually recommend you apply it with a pin or needle - that fine an amount!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, great. I'll be careful and report on the results here.

First time I've ever seen that on a Casio (seen it many times with mechanicals, from Seiko to Omega to Tissot), but there's always a first. I've never toke apart an Edifice, but if they're straightforward as Gs it won't be hard to fix it yourself.
Just be careful with what and how much glue you use.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'll do just that..... and NOT blow off dust with 90psi compressed air.... LOL

Looks genuine to me.

Needs just a fraction of glue between the two little holes the marker's feet go into on the dial. Actually recommend you apply it with a pin or needle - that fine an amount!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IWC and Omega? WOW... I would never have guessed. This watch has been sitting in my drawer for a year probably, broken. I'll get it fixed right away now. I really like this watch but though it had to be fake. I'm very glad I asked you all for opinions. ---Gawain

Looks genuine to me.

Marker falling off is indeed very dissapointing for a watch collector, but it's nothing major. It happens to a lot of models, even saw it on IWC and Omega.

Seems like they used not enough glue to hold it in place or watch has been bumped into something?

It's an easy fix, matter of opening up the watch, glueing it back and closing. The worst thing that could happen is to leave some dust or debris on inside of crystal when putting watch back together :-d I should know lol...

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
I'm anything but an expert when it comes to Edifice watche, however the position of the fake screws maybe a hint for a counterfeit.....

cheers

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
I'm sad to say, that looks like a fake Gawain.

How I can tell:
  • The bezel screws aren't correct. The genuine article has all 4 screws oriented the exact same way (with one "line" in the head pointed towards the watch face).
  • The date font is too heavy on yours, factory ones use a thinner font.
  • Your "WR100M" font is incorrect.
  • Your "Japan Movt" font is incorrect.
  • The fit of your applied markers and the rehaute is not "tight" enough.
  • Your crown also looks incorrect.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WOW, quite a few examples Topher. Thank-you. I'm glad I know. I had always thought the watch was too inexpensive. One out of 26 purchases, not at all an unreasonable percentage of non-authentic watch purchases especially at the price I paid. ; ) ---Gawain

I'm sad to say, that looks like a fake Gawain.

How I can tell:
  • The bezel screws aren't correct. The genuine article has all 4 screws oriented the exact same way (with one "line" in the head pointed towards the watch face).
  • The date font is too heavy on yours, factory ones use a thinner font.
  • Your "WR100M" font is incorrect.
  • Your "Japan Movt" font is incorrect.
  • The fit of your applied markers and the rehaute is not "tight" enough.
  • Your crown also looks incorrect.

·
Registered
904 Posts
That certainly had me fooled looking on the tablet earlier, and I can usually sniff a fake G a country mile away on ebay...

Not as clued up on Edifice it seems!

If that is a fake it's one of the best I've ever seen. The subdials look good, the overall quality seems good, etc.

But then classic analog fakes often are very good. I've seen ones being sold by African dudes in Europe that I couldn't help but admire.

In comparison G-Shock or other digital rip-offs are generally cheap rubbish.

Of course having the watch in your hand is key. I suppose the proof of the pudding here may be in the module itself - be sure to post a pic if you open it up Gawain - I'm intrigued!

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
I suppose the proof of the pudding here may be in the module itself - be sure to post a pic if you open it up Gawain - I'm intrigued!
Trouble is, I don't think Casio use their own movement in real Edifice chronos, I think they use readily available Citizen movements. The module may not give a clear answer, as the correct movement would be pretty cheap to buy for fakers.

Mitch

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Trouble is, I don't think Casio use their own movement in real Edifice chronos, I think they use readily available Citizen movements. The module may not give a clear answer, as the correct movement would be pretty cheap to buy for fakers. Mitch
Maybe. But opening the caseback will be much more telling. I'd love it if Gawain would take off the back and post a photo.

I agree with what has been said about this example. It's quite a good fake. The "reproduction" business is getting nothing but better and better. And this is a fairly ornate model, increasing the difficulty of passing it off. There's a lot they got right, versus what they got wrong...and the "wrong" stuff is very​ close to the originals.

My ability to see the flaws is merely a lot of comparison to google image photos, referencing stock Casio advertisement pieces when possible. Plus I'm at work in front of a decent widescreen monitor, which helps with resolution. Well...that, and I'm used to looking at more than one or two styles for imposters, so there tends to be a commonality with what is wrong and where to look...one just needs to take time.

Gawain, I would think you could remove the back, pull the crown and reattach that marker. Heck, if you don't mind how it looks, fix it then use it and abuse it. There should be little fear of ruining something now. And I wonder if the seller even knew it was a fake...quite possibly they were fooled just as you. And you're right, 1 in 26 is not bad at all, and at least you didn't have an "arm and leg" invested into it.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I was looking through the first page and started doubting myself whether my judgement was wrong, because I saw a tell tale sign that it was indeed a fake...but as I scrolled to the 2nd page, at least topher pointed out. I know nuts about Edifice, and I always believed no one will fake a watch close to this good with screwbacks and all, just for a Casio. Seems like I'm proven wrong.

If u look at the 12 o'clock and 1 o'clock hour markers, they are glaringly off center from the 'slot'. And the chiseled part of the 12 o'clock marker is unevenly chiseled. I know Casio watches will never ever allow this. I'm sorry that I think it is a fake too! =/ hopefully you didn't get ripped off too much..

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The caseback of this watch was too large for my standard screwed caseback removal tool. I took it in to a jewler's store. I'll visit the jewler's tomorrow and ask to take a picture of the movement if they are not busy. I appreciate everyone's help and concern. ---Gawain

1 - 20 of 20 Posts