WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
You can go swimming with a Casio even if it is water resistant to ”only“ 5 bar / 50 meters…
Organism Rectangle Font Parallel Illustration

… the same with Breitling watches…
Brown Automotive design Font Audio equipment Display device

… and Citizen…
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

… and Omega says their watches are water resistant up to the specified depth
Font Number Screenshot Circle Parallel

So now we already have five manufacturers that have different values from the table shown by @Fountain47
@Seabee1 is absolutely right: If you want to know for which activities in the water the manufacturer has approved your watch, then look in the manual.

Reactions: Seabee1

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Gshock watches are not as durable as they are hyped up to be. The outer case is soft, part of the band, and deteriorates in a few years. The replacement bands are not exactly cheap. Just a friendly warning.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Buy a real G-Shock... Lots of inexpensive models available with real water resistance...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Also question, can anyone send a chart that tells me what water-resistant levels are for like, cause i got 2 charts from this post but one says 3 bars is ok for swimming and other says its not, so i'm kinda confused if the others are also mixed up.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Also question, can anyone send a chart that tells me what water-resistant levels are for like, cause i got 2 charts from this post but one says 3 bars is ok for swimming and other says its not, so i'm kinda confused if the others are also mixed up.
As someone politely suggested earlier -- Read the Factory Manual. In other words, decide on the watch(es) you want, then query the maker(s) about what their water resistance (WR) ratings mean in real life. And if you're really concerned, take your watch to a good watchmaker for a pressure test. If it's 100M/10 Bar or better, you should have no problem swimming. Above all -- take a deep breath, you'll do fine.

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
10,609 Posts
There is ISO testing procedure which for example is the testing method of Swiss Made watches. Swiss don't use ISO but Swiss standard is 1-1 ISO. That as example. Now manufacturer put charts as recommendation and they have nothing to do with how watches tested and marked for WR. It's recommendation for safe use and keeping warranty.
Some manufacturers test 100% of watches and can claim you can swim with 30m WR watch and they will honour warranty. Some decide to no never bother and suggest to swim with higher WR rated watches because they don't test 100% of watches and don't want to honour warranty in more riskier case of 30m WR watch. Thus there is a difference. Plus selling bigger watch for more money usually the case.

There is no similarity in charts but generally 50m and above you can swim with them. Now. My friend had his direct from china Timex flooded and was totally ok with similarly 50m WR Casio later. For what it worth unless it tested you literally never sure and that where brand reputation and quality comes into play. Price is not really a reassuring point. 30$ Casio can perform better than 150$ Wenger. But generally speaking stick to reputable brands. pick 50m or greater WR and swim with confidence if your watch is new. or if it's more expensive one test it before and swim with confidence.

Generally speaking if during manufacturing or battery change or any service gasket was pinched or it degraded with time .. any WR rated watch will leak. Thus testing as ultimate procedure.

Again generally speaking well designed manufacturing set up and well designed watch more or less guarantee you won't encounter any unpleasant surprises in new watch. In old... testing and only testing after proper maintenance.

·
Premium Member
45,688 Posts
61 - 73 of 73 Posts