WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hit one of the lugs on my Bronze Benarus Moray and it seems to have chipped the Bronze a little on the lug.. Why does it look like steel underneath the Bronze????? uploadfromtaptalk1454197802886.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454197819113.jpg

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I will be contacting Bernarus....

·
Premium Member
2,384 Posts
By all means send Steve an email and ask about it. He will likely have an idea what has happened and how to go about resolving it. He has always treated me right. Good Luck.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
No expert...but perhaps it's got stainless steel threaded screw bar inserts within the bronze case?...bronze threads would wear out with stainless screw bars and lots of strap swaps...just a thought?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Now I am following this thread to find out about the developments...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
As a fellow Moray bronze owner I too will be following this thread very closely as I does indeed look like steel underneath though I'm sure there's a logical answer to this.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It is a new chip that happened yesterday, and don't get me wrong I love to watch and I love the brand I was just hoping that somebody with more expertise in bronze than myself could give me a better answer, as i stated in my original post.. I did email Steve last night.

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
No expert...but perhaps it's got stainless steel threaded screw bar inserts within the bronze case?...bronze threads would wear out with stainless screw bars and lots of strap swaps...just a thought?
+1. a "threaded steel sleeve" sounds very plausible; bronze threads could be problematic over time...
There was a time when "buying bronze" didn't necessarily mean you were getting bronze. Many popular "micros" at the time got "caught up" in that embarrassing issue. Benarus being one of them. Steve handled it like a champ though... Looking forward to hearing what the "official" issue is.

ECB

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
IMO it is all OK... and you should not worry at all.

IMO it is not possible to make steel coated with the bronze, and if yes, just few mikrons thick layer... but probably not.
The most significat proof that it is not coated steel is - look inside the hole on the lugs. Is it bronze color inside? I maybe can imagine to make steel case coated with somenthing (but again, not with bronze) but not possible to make layer of the bronze inside the lug holes for springbars.

And also, there is no point to make bronze coating in the steel, cost savings? If anyone in the furute will create such a case it will costs much more than solid bronze or solid steel case.

I think you could stay relaxed... (if is it problem, try to force a patina and will check the "steel" chipped place after)

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
I think it's kinda weird that the metal chipped rather than dent. The case could of been cast. I will be following this thread to it's conclusion.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Sorry about the damage.....
Metals, whether steel, titanium, iron all exhibit different properties. Some will dent, and some will chip It all depends on that metals particular metal alloy content and how it's finished ready for watch case production.
Bronze usually is a golden hard, brittle metal. The properties depend on the specific composition of the alloy as well as how it has been processed.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A few more pics, I'm still a little baffled as I look at this, the question was brought up earlier in the thread as to why would it chip and not just dent, I would love to know that too.. uploadfromtaptalk1454274270902.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1454274276936.jpg

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I have a Makara Sea Turtle and a Ventus Caspian that have a few very minor scratches to the case and I do not see the same bronze color in those scratches. I somehow assumed it was normal.....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts