WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 4th bronze ( Magrette) in the mail so I thought it is time to take a few pics.
My Anonimo has a small problem and is back for repair so it is just a trio.
Benarus Moray II
Magrette Regattare
and Zenton B42
They all have brown dials, Zenton and Benarus sunbrush and Magrette a matt finish
All have a brushed case and I didn't give them an egg treatment or liver of sulfur
For the Magrette I don't know what the previous owner did but it looks like it aged from alone
Bought the Magrette second hand (a real bargain :-!)and must say I really like it more in real than what I saw on pictures
I have to get used to the missing second hand but it is not bad, just abut unusual and no need to set a date that I really like .
It is right now the one on my wrist but there is one concern and I hope can get some feed back from other owners... about the sapphire crystal.
While cleaning the crystals I noticed the Magrette crystal is different so I took an ice cube and tried the water drop test several times but I was not able to get a nice drop on the Magrette crystal.
It worked fine on Benarus and Zenton but not on the Magrette ( you can see that on the last pictures )
Now I doubt it is a real sapphire and that would bother me even for the low price I paid. I would be grateful if somebody could destroy by doubts and help me to enjoy it much better
I am not sure how reliable this test is, so what can I do to check it ( please do not suggest I should try to scratch it.)
But now enjoy a few bronze pics , it is really an amazingand "living" material.

DROP TEST WITH TWO DROPS

AND ONE DROP

·
Registered
585 Posts
Talk to various watch manufacturers and they will tell you it is not a myth.

@ HH. You and a few others have echoed the same......The Magrette glass "appears" a bit porous, identical to some mineral glass rather than sapphire.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have a Regattare Bronze, and I'm also wondering what kind of crystal it uses.

It doesn't look and feel like sapphire. It doesn't seem to have the same density and refraction index as sapphire. I thought the AR coating was the culprit, but it uses an inner coating only, the outside surface is unaffected by it.

Anyway, I doubt Magrette lied about it. It's just maybe a lower quality sapphire (if that exists...).

·
Banned
1,443 Posts
Call me envious... Great collection. You have to get the B43 now :)

·
Registered
38,796 Posts
nice trio, the Benarus is by far my favorite.
I don't know that I could get sued to no second hand..:)

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
nice trio, the Benarus is by far my favorite.
same here, I like to see something moving. I hadn't seen the Benarus before--it's an impressive design.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Jeep99dad said:
That's what I thought until I tried it. Not having the second hand is quite liberating. You never have to worry about how accurate the watch is. It gives a whole new perspective on telling time.

Paul

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
That's what I thought until I tried it. Not having the second hand is quite liberating. You never have to worry about how accurate the watch is. It gives a whole new perspective on telling time.

Paul
another view: I don't worry about how accurate my watch is...it's a machine I want accurate, to know it's an accurate machine, that those who made it made an accurate machine. Otherwise, you're turning a mechanical device to display itself without standards. Might as well guess the time.

What you're doing, in other words and IMO, is making a virtue out of a defect.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I tested my bronze Magrette and it turned up like a sapphire should. But i went to test quite a few of my other watches and I had a 2 surprises ... now I
am concerned about that brand ... one model turned up ok the other model turned up pretty flat, in fact the water drop dispersed .. and like you guys have said, its likely glass.
Aarrgghh.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Model: Reggattare Vintage Bronze
Movement: 21 jewels (Miyota) Automatic
Case: Bronze, brush finish, 44mm excluding the crown.
Crown: Screw down
Crystal: Sapphire, AR (anti reflective) coated inside the crystal
Water-resistance: 5 ATM (approx 132ft)
Strap: 24mm Leather (black with black stitching)
Box: Eco pine
Vintage Style Roll Case: Canvas
Limited Edition: 1000 pieces

Price: $385.00 USD plus $30.00 shipping worldwide.

sapphire !!! :-|

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Very nice patina development on all pieces happyholiday!!! |>|>|>

...and your strap combos look absolutely sweet on all of them! Very nicely done!!!! :-! They all look spectacular IMO!!!! :p

Interesting results on your sapphire drop test...if the Magrette crystal was coated on the outside with some sort of AR coating, I would chalk it up to that. As is, it is a very suspicious result...don't know what else to say...sapphire is sapphire, and if you successfully achieve a polish on it, the surface properties should be quite comparable.:think:

Love the patina you have been able to achieve on them all!!!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Nice watches, I can definitely see a bronze watch in my future!

Seriously guys; do some of you really place that much faith in how a drop of water beads on the crystal surface to convince you if its sapphire or not? There are any number of factors that can affect the result; no established brand is going to risk their reputation and lie about the crystal just to save a few $£€!

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Very nice collection, thanks for sharing.
As for the drop test, I myself I'm not convinced it really works. There are so many so called test circulating out there. Another common one is to put the watch to your forehead. If the crystal is cool then it's sapphire.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts