WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1974 Tissot Seastar automatic

This watch was given to me by my sister-in-law when my brother-in-law sadly died, it was in a bag of old and broken wrist and pocket watches which a local jeweller had offered her £30.
I had to bin about six rubbish broken fashion quartz watches and sold the best of the bunch which raised £70. She was happy and at first didn't want to take the money but I insisted and she said I could keep the remainder of the watches and do what I wanted with them.

Before you get excited the Rolex 'date just' had already been removed from the bag and given to my nephew (boo, hiss I hear you say!) so I was left with two pocket watches and three wrist watches which were all non runners or/and had issues with them.

So on to the subject of this post.....

Tissot Seastar automatic (day and date)
Movement = 2571
Date number =17385491 = (1974)

Looking very beat up, tarnished and with a cracked and scratched crystal which I had already tried to polish but the crystal was too far gone.

The watch didn't run at all and seemed to be fully wound (over wound?) and was missing a screw in the movement? also the movement looked dirty and the case back gasket had turned into a sticky viscous mess (see picture)

I fancied a little gold in my collection and although it had no sentimental attachment with my brother- in-law I thought it might be a nice way to remember him.

The Tissot Seastar was dispatched to Steve Burrage at RyteTime for a service/repair and a new crystal, now as a runner I'm guessing that it was worth about £50-£100ish pounds so there was no profit here to be had although that was never the object of the exercise but I was relieved when Steve contacted me and said all was well and the original price/quote incurred no extras and the total was £130 inc P+P.

Now I have small wrists and wanted a dark brown leather strap and this is where Nick (triumph coupe) contacted me and offered to make me 'free of charge' a strap out of goat leather. Nick has recently started making straps and sent me pictures of the various stages as he made the strap, the man has patience and skill and the strap looks fabulous, thanks Nick for you efforts and your generosity.

Finally, I wore the watch to a large family event/BBQ (there are lots of us) and my sister-in-law was happy to hear the renovation/repair story and that I was wearing it that day and in doing so remembering David.

Here are the finished pictures of the watch and strap, the case was not refinished as its gold plated (20,000 microns) and I didn't think this would be a good idea, thanks for reading and hope you found it interesting and I didn't waffle too much.

·
Banned
1,606 Posts
That's a great story and a great watch from the era. I really like the way the case seems to envelope the crown partially, making it look recessed but without any crown guards to disrupt the symmetry. I also like the dial detail, it gives an almost "fabric" like "texture" to it. Great watch. Love the gold, it really works for it.

·
Registered
10,562 Posts
Congrats on the Tissot these make fine watches and can be very accurate, on another note you can never overwind a watch esp a automatic watch. Heard others say good things about Ryte time yes you spent £130 but the watch didn't cost anything and will have the watch for many more years. Looks good on the strap, might be myself a gold dress watch some time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts