WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this CC3000 five years ago and it's worked flawlessly eversince. Usually I just leave it in the watch box when I'm not wearing it, as I assumed that the window on top of the watch box would let enough light to sustain the watches' power, and also because of the stated period of two years worth of power in the instruction manual.

Recently, the second hand started jumping two seconds per tick, indicating either the end of battery life or low power

For regular quartz watches, I'd change the battery myself, but this being an eco drive and a GPS model, I had to let Citizen handle it.

So I take a trip out to the AD, and I tell the lady that I think it needs a new battery. The lady told me that it would be fairly expensive to service, and after questioning me a bit about the watch, she revealed that it'd cost $125 to service. I was going to agree anyway, but then she offered to charge it for me under artificial light for a couple of days — at no cost to me.

Of course I accepted because it was worth a try and potentially I'd be saving some money. We chatted for a bit about watches after and she even let me handle a couple of other Satellite Waves.

Unfortunately, I did not buy anything from the AD even though she provided me with excellent service, as the prices were too steep compared to what I could find online from grey market dealers.

Just wanted to share this story of excellent service from the AD and overall a pleasant experience. If I didn't already have another Satellite Wave on the way, and if their prices were a little more reasonable (despite the fact that she offered me a 30% discount), I would've likely walked out of that AD with another watch.

Anyway, here's a picture of the watch from last week:

·
Registered
126 Posts
I bought this CC3000 five years ago and it's worked flawlessly eversince. Usually I just leave it in the watch box when I'm not wearing it, as I assumed that the window on top of the watch box would let enough light to sustain the watches' power, and also because of the stated period of two years worth of power in the instruction manual.

Recently, the second hand started jumping two seconds per tick, indicating either the end of battery life or low power

For regular quartz watches, I'd change the battery myself, but this being an eco drive and a GPS model, I had to let Citizen handle it.

So I take a trip out to the AD, and I tell the lady that I think it needs a new battery. The lady told me that it would be fairly expensive to service, and after questioning me a bit about the watch, she revealed that it'd cost $125 to service. I was going to agree anyway, but then she offered to charge it for me under artificial light for a couple of days — at no cost to me.

Of course I accepted because it was worth a try and potentially I'd be saving some money. We chatted for a bit about watches after and she even let me handle a couple of other Satellite Waves.

Unfortunately, I did not buy anything from the AD even though she provided me with excellent service, as the prices were too steep compared to what I could find online from grey market dealers.

Just wanted to share this story of excellent service from the AD and overall a pleasant experience. If I didn't already have another Satellite Wave on the way, and if their prices were a little more reasonable (despite the fact that she offered me a 30% discount), I would've likely walked out of that AD with another watch.

Anyway, here's a picture of the watch from last week:

What is "AD"? If you're going to use acronyms in posted comments, please don't erroneously assume that everyone knows what you are referring to.😀

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What is "AD"? If you're going to use acronyms in posted comments, please don't erroneously assume that everyone knows what you are referring to.😀
This is a stickied thread in the public forum. Did you not read them when you first joined? This is essential reading to get you up to speed with everyone else:

·
Premium Member
40,971 Posts
AD= "Authorized Dealer".

As noted by Verdict, there is a sticky in the PF will all the watch lingo.........

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
I think your watch doesn't get enough light to maintain a charge in your watch box. I have the same issue with many of my Eco-Drives. I have a small LED charger called CoolFire that I use whenever I see the charge state go below a certain level. Only takes a few hours to fully charge. If you let an EcoDrive go completely dead, it'll take days to recharge and then you'll have to do a reset on the watch. Nice watch, BTW. I have one of the exact same model.

CoolFire is $31.99 from Amazon. There are probably other similar solar watch chargers out there for less money. I'm happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
3,011 Posts
As mentioned, AD stands for Authorized Dealer. It's a very commonly used acronym on WUS (watchuseek). I also recommend reviewing the acronym's list. Otherwise, WUS will be a frustrating experience for you.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Windowsill. Works for my citizen. And it’s free.
Yea I think I may need to buy a separate watch box for my solar watches and leave it permanently on the windowsill. I left my Citizen there for a couple of days and it didn't do much, so maybe it just needs to stay there for the long term.

The lady told me that artificial light works better than sunlight, but I think she might be been referring to the fact that you can control artificial light and the fact that your lightbulbs aren't subject to overcast days??? Not sure.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think your watch doesn't get enough light to maintain a charge in your watch box. I have the same issue with many of my Eco-Drives. I have a small LED charger called CoolFire that I use whenever I see the charge state go below a certain level. Only takes a few hours to fully charge. If you let an EcoDrive go completely dead, it'll take days to recharge and then you'll have to do a reset on the watch. Nice watch, BTW. I have one of the exact same model.

CoolFire is $31.99 from Amazon. There are probably other similar solar watch chargers out there for less money. I'm happy with mine.
Thanks, I've seen that one before but I wasn't sure if it worked.

Also, I'm thinking about getting the black dial version of this watch too. Which version do you have?

·
Registered
486 Posts
I keep mine in a box with a glass top and it’s not enough. Have 3 eco drives and a Seiko Astron, they all need a full day of sunlight every 2-3 months if you don’t wear them outside occasionally.

·
Registered
6,472 Posts
It is nice that the AD is taking care of you. I would have left it hanging out in a window for a few days first to see if it stopped doing the two second hand dance. What was the battery level indicator saying? (Press the B button (top button) )

It is very rare for a Citizen to need a new battery in such a short time. I have bought ones that were hanging out in a drawer for a few years and they always wake up eventually

Good luck with the watch. That is a nice SW model and thin for what it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts