WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get your thoughts on matching watch straps with shoes/belts. Obviously your shoes and belts should match, but is it acceptable to wear a brown strap with black shoes/belt? Black strap with brown?

·
Registered
619 Posts
IMO it is better to have the watch strap match your belt & shoes if you can manage it.

In the real non-WIS world though I doubt many people pay attention to it, especially in casual and business casual environments.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Your wedding ring should also match your watch so I have two, a gold one and a silver one, in case I am wearing a gold or stainless steel watch. Also the buckle of your belt must match the watch and the wedding ring as well as the zipper on your pants. If you wear glasses with metal rims, they should also match. Also your car keys and any fillings you may have in your teeth.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yeah, it bugs the hell out of me if the watchstrap, shoes and belt are not all brown/black - but as said earlier in the thread only a fashionista or WIS will notice! The only exception is when you are holiday and then the obligation is to wear as many colours as possible!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
According to the GQ Style Guy, it is ok to mix metals, but not leathers. Personally, if I am wearing a suit, I like to match the metal tones in my watch and belt buckle. The wedding ring is what it is, I never worry about matching it. I always coordinate my strap, belt, and shoes. Not neceassarily a perfect match, but something to tie it all together. This also gives me a excuse to keep buying straps! If you aren't going to have a matching watch for every occasion, then I would go with a black strap over a brown, or better still, a stainless bracelet. Weekend wear is another story. Anything goes with sneakers and jeans.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I have a brown strapped Tissot watch and a Tag on a metal bracelet. I have just secured a new job as a public servant where it is frowned upon to wear expensive jewellery on duty so the Tag is out. Obviously the brown Tissot wont look its best in an all black uniform so the only option is to buy a new Seiko with a black strap ;-)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Your wedding ring should also match your watch so I have two, a gold one and a silver one, in case I am wearing a gold or stainless steel watch. Also the buckle of your belt must match the watch and the wedding ring as well as the zipper on your pants. If you wear glasses with metal rims, they should also match. Also your car keys and any fillings you may have in your teeth.
Wow, I guess I am glad I don't have a gold watch. Since my fillings are all the same white as my teeth, I would have to get those gold rapper teeth just to be able to wear my gold watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yes.... They should match. Always! I once went a week without wearing brown when I only had 1 brown watch and the band broke. Lol! WIS!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
With suits, I think shoes, belt and leather watch band should match. Black w/black, cordovan w/cordovan, dark brown w/dark brown. Leather gloves should coordinate, but not necessarily match with your overcoat, but not need not match your shoes or belt.

Nice to match the metals, but not necessary. Most people don't look at your belt buckle. A white faced dress watch on a stainless bracelet will get you out of any tight spots.

More casual, from slacks and Oxford shirt to Dockers and polo shirt, brown watch band with some sort of brown belt and brown shoes. Black with black. Nato strap should "work" with watch and color in shirt or slacks. Stainless bracelet, again, works with everything.

Jeans and casual shirt, t-shirt to button-down, heck rock a purple G-shock if it works for you.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I try my best to match shoes with my belt, but I am all over the place with my straps.

Most of them are brown, but I tend to wear what I feel like at the moment - often changing several times a day! :-d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts