WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went to a local AD today to do some "Christmas shopping for the Wife". I was suprised to see they had a SS 50th anniversary Speedy(with seahorse logo on dial) and two Hour Visions(gold & ss), along with some POs, a PO chrono, a Speedy Pro, Moon to Mars, a Broad Arrow and a Deville Chrono, with a couple ATs, a few Bonds, a couple new Speedy dates and some ladies connie's. Overall, a pretty good selection.

My commentary:
  • The PO chrono is a HUGE watch. It dwarfed the Speedy Pros I looked at. Definitely not for the small wristed. Very, very nice dial layout and detail. A really nice watch.
  • The 50th anniversary is nice, but after looking at the Speedy pro next to it, it just seemed "ordinary". I would have expected something more for the 50th anniversary. Personally, I would still pick the regular Speedy over the anniversary.
  • The Hour visions are stunning with beautiful detail on the watch and movement. The bracelet is beautiful. However, they are just too darn big for dress watches. I have small wrists and don't think I could pull one off. Its a shame that Omega feels the need to "upsize" its dress watches. Ok for sport watches, but I feel a 39-40mm would have been much better for this watch.
  • The BA was very nice, but I just can't get over why Omega feels the need to put the red 1957 on the dial. I never liked seeing dates on the dial. Put it on the case back.
  • Didn't have time to try on the new Speedy dates or the "Bonds", but they looked nice.
  • Spent the most time with the regular old Hesalite Speedy Pro. I still can't get past this one and really want to add one to my collection. However, after handling it, Im not too crazy about the current bracelet offering. If I ever do land one, maybe a nice croc will need to be affixed.
In all, a good AD experience(much better than staying at home to watch the LSU game). The sales lady wasn't very conversational, but at least she admitted she didn't know much about the Omega line. She thought the Speedy pro was quartz because it had a solid case back. LOL. Needless to say I promptly corrected her. Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The BA was very nice, but I just can't get over why Omega feels the need to put the red 1957 on the dial. I never liked seeing dates on the dial. Put it on the case back.
Surprised you say that I think that makes the watch for me.....each to their own i spose.

Interesting read - thanks

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Mike

Thanks for the read.

I have to say the Speedy re-edition does not do it for me. The Pro is still the best. I only wish they would add the applied logo on it like the 321. That would make it absolutely perfect for me.

I like the POC but it is massive. I have the 45mm Po and that would be the max for me.

I have to say that the Hour Vision does not do it for me. They look better in person but I would prefer to wait until they put the 8500 in a better looking watch. I recently was in Harrods in London (a great store for some watch drooling) and my mate who was with me and is not really into watches liked the Speedy and the PO but said straight away "that is ugly" when he looked at the hour vision.

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
Nice rundown of the watches. Sounds like Lafayette has a far bigger selection than Baton Rouge. How was the wife? Did you get the "those are nice, maybe someday" or the dreaded, "don't even think about it?" - David

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
How was the wife? Did you get the "those are nice, maybe someday" or the dreaded, "don't even think about it?" - David
Lol!:-!

If............ and and it's a big If........ I can get my Mrs to walk into an AD with me she either says ' I don't know why you are looking at them they all look the same' or I get the eyes :roll:!! ......You konw the ones?? she says nothing :roll:'s the eyes with folded arms and gives you that look that says, ' Think about buying another, and I'm going to......... !! I normaly find at this point it's time to make my way out of the shop

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Lol!:-!

If............ and and it's a big If........ I can get my Mrs to walk into an AD with me she either says ' I don't know why you are looking at them they all look the same' or I get the eyes :roll:!! ......You konw the ones?? she says nothing :roll:'s the eyes with folded arms and gives you that look that says, ' Think about buying another, and I'm going to......... !! I normaly find at this point it's time to make my way out of the shop
I got the look and the words that we all dread the other day when I suggested picking up a Speedy.

"You said the PO was the only watch you wanted and now you want another only 12 months later" I even used the arguement that "Does that mean you only ever want one ring" This still didn't work.

The wait for the Speedy will continue.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hahahah yep it must be a man/woman thing.

As you are most probably aware after much toing and froing with my new X-33 purchase from the states, the very next day after it arrived I took it into be valued by an antique dealer. He loved it and agreed she was a wonderful piece. He then showed me a BNIB speed pro which I promptly put down a deposit for!

I was not a very popular guy when I got home, in less than 24 hours I had my X-33 which cost me USD$1950 and a speed pro for USD$2580 :-d

In the dog house for a while............

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice rundown of the watches. Sounds like Lafayette has a far bigger selection than Baton Rouge. How was the wife? Did you get the "those are nice, maybe someday" or the dreaded, "don't even think about it?" - David
I was actually in Baton Rouge. It was at LM in the mall. Was suprised at their collection.

And, are you kidding, the wife was nowhere around. She was shopping with her family. I was able to get away for a few mins. I can't watch shop with the wife, she would give me the ole "I don't know why you are looking, you can't get another one anyway".

·
Registered
276 Posts
My commentary:
  • The PO chrono is a HUGE watch. It dwarfed the Speedy Pros I looked at. Definitely not for the small wristed. Very, very nice dial layout and detail. A really nice watch.
Tell me about it: the first time I tried it on, I went into the boutique wearing a mid-size SMP, and when I slapped the POC on, I felt like I was wearing a clock on my wrist. After a while, it doesn't seem out-of-place anymore, and better yet, any other watch just seems puny by comparison :-d

·
Banned
6,599 Posts
I was actually in Baton Rouge. It was at LM in the mall. Was suprised at their collection.

And, are you kidding, the wife was nowhere around. She was shopping with her family. I was able to get away for a few mins. I can't watch shop with the wife, she would give me the ole "I don't know why you are looking, you can't get another one anyway".
Damn Mike, I wish you wouldn't have said that. I may have to motor on down to the mall and check out the stock. Last time I was at LM they didn't have much in the way of Omegas other than a few POs and a Hesalite Speedy and Speedy Moon to Mars. - David

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Glad you enjoyed the browsing trip Mike, I do it as often as I can and try to leave the money behind.

Nigel

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damn Mike, I wish you wouldn't have said that. I may have to motor on down to the mall and check out the stock. Last time I was at LM they didn't have much in the way of Omegas other than a few POs and a Hesalite Speedy and Speedy Moon to Mars. - David
Go for it. When I first glanced at the watch section I was disappointed about the size of the display, but after I started looking, they actually had a lot crammed into the space. It was kinda of funny that as I was looking at the watches, there was girl next to me complaining to her mom that she was promised she could be able to switch the dial on her 2-Tone Rolex Datejust. She couldn't have been more than 20. Aaah, the Rolex crowd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts