WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that some watch bracelets/cases are shinier than others. I know now that the terms are brushed steel and polished steel.

Anyway is there any superiority between those 2 types of steel? What are the main differences?

What are your preferences?

I don't really like polished steel on bracelets, I don't mind the case. I recently bought Tissot PRC 200 on a leather strap because I didn't want the polished steel bracelet.

I noticed that Japanese brands don't really use polished steel either, what's that all about?

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
There is no difference in the steel at all between brushed and polished finishes, both are finishing steps and either finish can be applied to most metals. Brushing involves just what it sounds like, an abrasive brush is used to create many parallel scratches in the surface of the material. Polishing is really the opposite of brushing, whereby increasingly fine polishing compounds are used in conjunction with a buffing wheel to remove scratches and provide a more uniform and scratch free surface finish. There are other types of polishing that are commonly used such as chemical or electropolishing, however I think that most watch cases are mechanically polished as described above. Mechanical polishing in general is more expensive than brushing since it is much more labor intensive, however I don't believe that either finish is "superior" to the other. Neither polishing nor brushing do anything to protect the material, and both are susceptible to damage from scratching.

S

·
0 Posts
Anyway is there any superiority between those 2 types of steel? What are the main differences?
None is superior to the other. It's just a different surface treatment. I rate tegimented and ice-hardened cases superior to brushed and polished cases.

What are your preferences?
Don't have any but I do like the ice-hardened Damasko cases (which aren't made out of 316L steel). If you want to know more - feel free to use our search function here on the WUS fora.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I prefer brushed over polished cases and bracelets x100000.

I love the look of the dial itself and the Eco-drive system on a bunch of citizen watches, but the super polished cases and bracelets just look awful to me.

Polished steel just looks tacky and is just screaming to be scratched to hell. Brushed offers far more protection against visible scratching.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I prefer brushed over polished cases and bracelets x100000.

I love the look of the dial itself and the Eco-drive system on a bunch of citizen watches, but the super polished cases and bracelets just look awful to me.

Polished steel just looks tacky and is just screaming to be scratched to hell. Brushed offers far more protection against visible scratching.
I like polished steel cases on leather straps. It stands out but not too much.

If I ever get a watch with a bracelet though it'll definitely be brushed steel.

S

·
0 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by that exactly, they are two different surface finishes so no they are not equal.
Brushed and not brushed/polished: Both are ss 316L (mostly). That's what he meant imho.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts