WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

2841 - 2860 of 2879 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Tell me about this watch please.
With pleasure my man. Our glorious founder, praise be to him, has one in black too.

Garmin Instinct, it's like a smarter g-shock with 80s chuncky watch ruggedness and more features. And now they are pretty cheap used, they also make one that's "tactical" with an additional feature or two. 100m water.

I use it when a gshock would be used and for gps hikes/walks and activity tracking.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh, I thought I had that honour. This is getting less intimidating by the hour. How did you set the hands? Do you have proper hand-setting tools, or did you improvise?
I bought a cheap kit from Amazon and this for the hands

OTOOLWORLD Watchmaker Watch Hand Presto Presser Lifter Puller Plunger Remover set Fitting Repair Tools - - Amazon.com

It's fine. For the second hand I actually took the pusher off of the stand and used it by itself. I was having too much trouble keeping the watch centered under the press.

Yep I'm living in the Waikato. Its great because its an hour from everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
This was back in 2005, but is Pielab still a thing in downtown Hamilton? A nightclub/place to get late night meat pies...awesome.

You're right, Waikato is the perfect location. I chose Waikato because it was the closest university to Raglan and at that time in my life all I cared about was surfing.

·
Registered
212 Posts

OTOOLWORLD Watchmaker Watch Hand Presto Presser Lifter Puller Plunger Remover set Fitting Repair Tools - - Amazon.com

It's fine. For the second hand I actually took the pusher off of the stand and used it by itself. I was having too much trouble keeping the watch centered under the press.

This was back in 2005, but is Pielab still a thing in downtown Hamilton? A nightclub/place to get late night meat pies...awesome.

You're right, Waikato is the perfect location. I chose Waikato because it was the closest university to Raglan and at that time in my life all I cared about was surfing.
I was living in Wellington in 2005, I was busy sampling the delights of Courtney Place. Pielabs sounds like heaven. Mmmmm pies

·
Registered
600 Posts

Seiko Saturday and even sold (gasp) a watch to a person face to face. Maintained social distance and had a good conversation about watches and sports. Should have snapped a pic of his Ti Pelagos, but man that this is a looker.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! Well done to the Seadog crew too! Can’t swing one right now, but preemptive dibs down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Brothers I present you my first ever mod. This took me the better part of the day to finish up! Holy crap on a stick was the second hand hard to get on!! That alone took me about 2 hours and a heck of a lot of swearing.

I have a huge appreciation now for all people out there doing this on a regular basis! And most of you are doing far more complicated mods than I attempted!

Now for some photos.

She started as a humble Invicta

I used a Boston Bruins hockey puck as a cushion and movement holder

Hour and minute hands went on relatively smoothly

F*#$ this!! *$#+^¢€!!!! Was what I was saying for most of the next 2 hours. Bent the second hand a little (or a lot, idk). Until finally,

Popping the cyclops off was a bit harder than I anticipated too, but I managed to get it off without cracking the crystal. Only a slight scratch of the bezel.

And here we have it!

I was too excited to finish up to attempt the BSH logo today. I may ask my wife for some help with that one eventually. For now, strap compliance will have to do.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks everyone provided! I've got another Invicta mod pending with a snowflake dial, but I am going to enjoy this one for a bit.
Great job brother! And don't worry about the scratch on the bezel insert. It's either wabi, or you were already planning on replacing it subconsciously.

As far as seconds hands go. Man. My first one went on first try! 2nd 3rd and 4th took probably 50 each. So frustrating. You are not alone here. Practice definitely helps, and my personal trick is to have NO coffee, but 2 beers no more, no less.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
@Le Temps Détruit Tout inspired me to post this nonsense no one asked for.

In January 2016 I lost my job selling auto parts. I chose to become self employed because, well, I had opportunity to do so.

None of it was(still isn't) a solitary gig. Lots of part time hustles between my wife and I.

One of mine was working for Benson Amps for 2016, 2017, and 2018.
For me this was a dream. I always wanted to be a rock star. But I never put in the work to have good enough chops or looks to make it happen on it's own.

I had learned to build tube amps by hanging out with a brotherhood of weirdos similar to this group, but who's focus is on tube amps. At one point I even thought I wanted to have my own amp company.

Thankfully, before ever having that opportunity, I learned I didn't really want to be the big guy in charge o an amp company. I just wanted to be good enough at what I did that people wanted me to work for them.

Anyway, during this time I decided "I'm living my dream so I'm gonna help other's live theirs " and I found smaller builders who were(by my estimation) in it for the love of the scene not the money, and I had a handful of custom guitars and basses built for me.

Ultimately, at the end of 2018, one of the businesses my wife and I worked on together was going and we decided I was needed more for the other business(it's more lucrative) and I left Benson on great terms.

Shortly after that I left social media.

I have since sold about half of my custom guitar collection and a few of my "grail pieces" of vintage gear(my ep3 echoplex hiwatt being the crown jewels) because I'm a dad and I don't need 6 full custom guitars to play my dad rock on. 3 does nicely.

Honestly working in the industry spoiled me. Things became more accessible as people became more accessible. And I'm really just garage band level. I'm not a pro level player, in guitar or bass. I likely could have been happy playing epiphone and squiers with nice pickups and a good setup. But I cannot convince myself of that now. . .

Take my bass for example.

With my skill level and the amount I play, I SHOULD be fine with a nice P bass or even a music man. But I have this. I'm spoiled. I used to have 2 of these(one in walnut) but I only need one...

This guitar was made by the same builder as the bass. I also had a hollow body by the same builder.

And this guitar is one of my favorites. It's made by a builder in canada. I'm not even sure if he's building anymore.

And some amps.
The Bridge City is made by my friend here in Portland.

the "Benson"in the stack isn't really a Benson. It's my own design, but I built it in Benson chassis when I worked there.

The Gretsch Chet atkins amp is one of my favorites. The tremolo circuit is so unique... It only modulates the frequencies in the treble range. So it creates a really lovely phasing as the bass signals stay full but the treble ones get modulated.

Thanks for letting me show off my crap. :)

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
I play at the banjo. I say 'play at' because I am not good enough to say I play the banjo. I only have two banjos but my favorite is a pawn shop rescue. I think the movie 'Deliverance' did more to kill banjo music than anything. Whoa! I see Burt Reynolds aiming his bow and arrow at me now. Gotta split.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Great job brother! And don't worry about the scratch on the bezel insert. It's either wabi, or you were already planning on replacing it subconsciously.

As far as seconds hands go. Man. My first one went on first try! 2nd 3rd and 4th took probably 50 each. So frustrating. You are not alone here. Practice definitely helps, and my personal trick is to have NO coffee, but 2 beers no more, no less.

Sent from my LG-M322 using Tapatalk
Thanks man! Good call on the coffee and beer.

·
Registered
212 Posts

It's been a quarter of a century since I stood on a plank of fibreglass on the water. I wagged a lot of school and spent a lot of that time on the water at Wellingtons Lyall bay

·
Premium Member
23,039 Posts
Brothers I present you my first ever mod. This took me the better part of the day to finish up! Holy crap on a stick was the second hand hard to get on!! That alone took me about 2 hours and a heck of a lot of swearing.

I have a huge appreciation now for all people out there doing this on a regular basis! And most of you are doing far more complicated mods than I attempted!

Now for some photos.

F*#$ this!! *$#+^¢€!!!! Was what I was saying for most of the next 2 hours. Bent the second hand a little (or a lot, idk). Until finally,

Popping the cyclops off was a bit harder than I anticipated too, but I managed to get it off without cracking the crystal. Only a slight scratch of the bezel.

And here we have it!

I was too excited to finish up to attempt the BSH logo today. I may ask my wife for some help with that one eventually. For now, strap compliance will have to do.

Thanks for all the tips and tricks everyone provided! I've got another Invicta mod pending with a snowflake dial, but I am going to enjoy this one for a bit.
Congratulations! I think you did better than what I could do

·
Premium Member
719 Posts
"oh sure hon, I've got some brown #69 thread to sew up your riding chaps. Now where is that sharpie?" Really was a bit too thick but the Toyota machine got the job done.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Now for some photos.

And here we have it!

Congratulations on a successful and tasteful first build there and on jumping onboard with the Seadog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
One of the best submariner styled watches you can find...save the turtles! Exxellent quality, looks very nice, and with powerfull ETA powermatic movement.

Like Seiko in save the ocean series, which is giving part of income to sea/eco organizations, Certina is giving a part of the income from this model, to Sea turtle conservancy organization.

Proud to have and wear this watch (as save the ocean, also).

Послато са SM-N985F помоћу Тапатока
I've seen that on the STC website. I just bought my wife a membership to the Sea Turtle Conservancy as a birthday gift for later this month. Also got her a bracelet that is assigned to a tracked turtle - she will be able to log onto the innerwebberz and track her turtle. It's pretty cool.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts

Now for some photos.

And here we have it!

Fantastic. Well done! My first few attempts were lessons in frustration with mangled hands left in the wake. So I salute you, sir, for your success!

2841 - 2860 of 2879 Posts