WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning guys. In the course of asking a few questions about how to dress this old watch up with a new strap, one of the posters on TZ suggested that the watch dial appeared to be "bubbling" and might be ready for a redial. Here's a pic - I assume he's referring to the larger spots on the inner dark brown part of the dial - I'd thought it was just made that way from the get-go. Doesn't appear to be visibly rough or elevated in those spots - is he full of beans? Or is this deterioration of the dial? Thanks for your thoughts.
As for the strap, I thought a dark brown with a yellow gold single fold deployant might be nice. Checking that out with Bob at Mywatchmaker.net at the moment.
Best, John

·
Registered
37 Posts
I appears to me that was the original intended look, the spoting is too even and is also on the date window trim to be a mistake or aging. I don't know for sure, but if it dosn't look raised at all I would assume that was the original design.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I think that this is fading of the dial ...

This sort of thing can happen on certain dials. I have some old Universal Geneves which displayed this phenomenon.

A clue is that the background color now appears brown and not black as it almost certainly was originally. The black paint fades from the action of light (particularly sunlight) & age giving an overall brown appearance with the more faded spots actually showing the gold under-color more clearly. This isn't bubbling which is caused by corrosion under the painted surface of the dial.

Kind of an interesting effect; sort of like a star-field or constellation. Note that Omega did produce some watches which really did have star-field dials.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: I think that this is fading of the dial ...

This one belonged to one of my grandfathers - it was given to him (new) in 1977, and it's looked just like this for as long as I can remember- and my memory of it dates back to when it was pretty new. I think the inner dial was brown to begin with (as it is now), and the outer dial has a kind of crinkled gold effect. I've always assumed that the spots and sparkles on the inner dial were designed to mimic a starfield, or stars in space. That was just my guess - I've never researched it.

·
Registered
9,532 Posts
Here's a link to an ad another fellow located that shows the watch when new - which makes me yet again think about what a nice collection of helpful acquaintances and just plain fun all of this is....
http://www.old-omegas.com/pics/caten74/p67.jpg
It's great to see confirmation of this, John. I really didn't know what to make of it, other than it looks cool and I hoped it was original. I just didn't know.

That's certainly one to treasure.

eric

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Not to be a killjoy but, although the watch in the catalog has small sparkles, as does your watch, the watch in the catalog doesn't have the large, different color, spots which your shows. There also appears to be some damage to the "f" in "f 300 Hz" on your dial.

In any event it's still a very nice looking watch. Perhaps you have a different variation.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not to be a killjoy but, although the watch in the catalog has small sparkles, as does your watch, the watch in the catalog doesn't have the large, different color, spots which your shows. There also appears to be some damage to the "f" in "f 300 Hz" on your dial.

In any event it's still a very nice looking watch. Perhaps you have a different variation.
Hey Jim. I don't think it's a different variation - the one in the ad also has some slightly larger spots (can't tell about the color without a blowup), though not quite as large as those in mine, and also, not in exactly the same place - in the ad, note the larger dot by the eight marker, as well as one just to the right of the Omega symbol under the twelve marker. There are a few others too, and mine doesn't appear to have those - I'd have thought they'd have all been the same, but maybe not - I suppose there could be different batches of the brown center dial? Hard to say. One thing's for sure - now that I'm aware of it, I'll also (hopefully) be aware of any subsequent change. John

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
If it looks good to you in person then chances are it's fine. You certainly have a better view of the dial from all angles.

I kind of like its appearance. It definitely looks like a star plate from an observatory. The larger spots being the nearby stars. The perfect dial for a Constellation!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts