WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
most peculiar - spotted these two up for auction (snagged the photos) - they look almost identical to me but for the second hand, the date, and the number under INCABLOC (...117 versus ...118)

wasn't able to google much at all about fijo - anyone happen to know or care to speculate?

G

·
I wouldn´t tend to say Bucherer = Fijo. I´d say both had had the same PLB producer.
Movement is a Lemania 2980 which has been similar to the Omega 980 used in the Omega Memomatic.
Other watches equipped with the Lemania 2980: Lordex, Nivada, Sicura (identical case with the Bucherer), Vulcain, Zodiac. Lemania also brought two watches to the market. In the 90ties the movement was used by Gerald Genta ("Gerald Genta 2980") and later by Breguet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, wow, no kidding - and now that you mention it...

... i poked around again and found a *milus* with what looked to me like exactly the same case (but gold), same dial (but with different colors), and the same little "o with a crown on it" logo that was on both the fijo and the bucherer above - and i swear i saw another one, stainless case and red markers, can't find it now

so that's really interesting - it must have been a week there in 1970+/- where a bunch of brands decided "we must offer an alarm" - one supplier had a nice looking design plus a decent movement so they all went for it

hmmm - would be kind of fun to collect a bunch of those, all very nearly the same - hmmm (at that exact moment, wife peeks into den - "are you looking at watches *again*" - freaky!)

- k

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hello, mike - how about another challenge for you...

that was pretty amazing with the alarm watches there

i wonder what you can tell me about this sicura chrono i picked up not too long ago - it's a big, solid, chunky thing - i'm especially interested in when it would have been made

found it in palmdale, california - a not-so-exciting central valley town, but it does have one famous resident - the lockheed martin skunkworks - and right next to edwards air force base

my theory (and i'm sticking to it) is that this chrono is from about 1970 and would have been exactly the kind of thing an aerospace engineer or even an air force test pilot would have bought and worn with pride - when he passed, his watch sadly got shunted to the box for charity - i happened to be walking past the goodwill window when they were putting it out, radar went off, and i grabbed it - cleaned it up a bit, everything works, nice new strap and back in action - crisp salute to the original owner - unknown but not forgotten

- k

G

·
To me it looks like a typical chrono of the 70ties. Can´t say exactly what movement is in but Sicura used Valjoux chronos as well as cheap pin-lever-movements. Judging without a pic of the movement is guesswork.
Nevertheless: could be a Valjoux 7734 with different date position (here: 12, mostly at 6).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts