WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. I have a small ladies watch that I got from my great grandmothers jewelry collection about 10 years ago. It is like a small pocketwatch that used to be on gold chain. The chain broke a long time ago and I never fixed it, and seem to have misplaced it. However, the actual watch part is quite stunning and is in excellent condition. It is definitely a little fast if u wind it up, but it does work. It is made by Bucherer and has red enamel with gold accents on both sides with a gold inside and rim as well as top. It is really pretty, and I have taken a few pictures of it. I was recently told by someone at a vintage/estate jewelry store that it may be worth quite a bit of $. I hadnt ever really considered that, and have now become curious to know a little bit more about it. The pictures are below. They arent the most excellent pictures, however the watch is completely undamaged and has no visible scratches whatsoever anywhere on or inside of it. It has been kept in very excellent conditions over the years. Anybody who might be able to tell me anything about it would really be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Melissa

PS: Oh and the little silver looking piece that appears in the two pics with it open is not part of the watch, it is a kickstand from a pencil torch lighter that i just placed there because it kept the watch wedged open for those two pictures. I am not sure if the watch is real gold but I think it is. It has been no signs of tarnishing, or patches that look worn down to show gold plating, so I am assuming it is real, but i honestly cant say for 100% certainty. As i mentioned, i really know VERY little about this particular watch, and when i tried to look for a similar one online, i was unable to find one anywhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Hard to tell much without a picture of the watch movement, unfortunately.
It's a pendant watch, and Bucherer is not actually a watch maker but a jewelry store chain, like Cartier.
The hands are sort of Art Nouveau in style which would possibly date it to around World War I, but the dial itself is metal which might date it to the 1920s or 1930s. It's really hard to say with a timeless style like this.
Can you get a clear picture of the movement for us? That would help in possibly identifying it further. When was your great grandmother collecting jewelry?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to show u something like that, but unfortunately I have absolute NO idea how to open it up and take a look OR a picture of the watch movements. Is there anywhere u can direct me that I might be able to compare the watch I have to others? Or perhaps a general price range that things of this nature are found to stat within...i am just trying to figure out if its junk or if it is worth keeping, or selling. I am really unsure as to when the watch was made or when/where it came from. All i know is that is belonged to my great grandmother and then to me. I had no idea that it would have any value really whatsoever until I was told that it may be when I described it at the estate jewelry store. Any input would be much appreciated.

-Melissa

Hard to tell much without a picture of the watch movement, unfortunately.
It's a pendant watch, and Bucherer is not actually a watch maker but a jewelry store chain, like Cartier.
The hands are sort of Art Nouveau in style which would possibly date it to around World War I, but the dial itself is metal which might date it to the 1920s or 1930s. It's really hard to say with a timeless style like this.
Can you get a clear picture of the movement for us? That would help in possibly identifying it further. When was your great grandmother collecting jewelry?

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
Sorry yours is the first one I've seen here so I can't compare it to anything. We usually deal with men's models here.
We do not do valuations in this forum as a matter of policy. Please read our sticky notes for reasons why.
I will say though that unless a vintage watch is very old and rare, considered a piece of "haute horologie" like Patek Philippe, or encrusted with diamonds and in a solid gold case, it's usually not very valuable. Certainly it would be worth more to you as your great grandmother's watch than it would to an eBay dealer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts