WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
if ordering a strap online and you want to swap the buckle, how do you know if the post will fit?
I'm not sure I understand the question.

If by Post you mean the tang that goes through the hole in the strap, that rotates about the retaining bar, and seats against the buckle: your replacement buckle should come with a Post.

Your replacement buckle should come in 3 pieces, unless it is a sew-in style (and we'll assume you're not talking about the sew-in variety)
- the Buckle itself
- the "Post" (I'm running with it, don't know if it's the right term, but I don't have an alternative to offer)
- the Retaining Bar. Many times this is a spring bar, just like what attaches the band to the watch case. Some higher-end straps or buckles have screw-in bars here.

All of that said: The "post" should be a part of your replacement buckle package, and it will work with that package. When you swap the buckle, remove the old post and install the new one with the new buckle.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I'm not sure I understand the question.

If by Post you mean the tang that goes through the hole in the strap, that rotates about the retaining bar, and seats against the buckle: your replacement buckle should come with a Post.

Your replacement buckle should come in 3 pieces, unless it is a sew-in style (and we'll assume you're not talking about the sew-in variety)
- the Buckle itself
- the "Post" (I'm running with it, don't know if it's the right term, but I don't have an alternative to offer)
- the Retaining Bar. Many times this is a spring bar, just like what attaches the band to the watch case. Some higher-end straps or buckles have screw-in bars here.

All of that said: The "post" should be a part of your replacement buckle package, and it will work with that package. When you swap the buckle, remove the old post and install the new one with the new buckle.
yeah, that's what I mean, i want to swap the buckle and the post, but even if the buckles are the same size, how do you know if the posts are the same size? if the new strap has a wider post, then there's going to be a gap in the leather on each side when I put the old post on the new strap, if the new strap has a narrower post, then when I put the old post on the new strap, there isn't going to be a big enough opening in the leather and it will either not fit or be hard to move up and down, also if the holes on the strap are sized for a specific post, then my old post might not fit through the holes on the new strap.

·
Premium Member
36,376 Posts
I would not worry too much about any spacing issues if you are looking to swap out a buckle and tang (post). Most will fit with minimal modification.

As long as you get the correct mm width for the buckle, the amount of possible spacing between the tang and strap will be very minimal, and you should not even notice it when it is buckled up and being worn.

At most if you have a thinner tang, you are still only talking about very little gap between that and the strap as it will be only fractions of a millimeter, and you would really have to look hard to notice the difference.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
I would not worry too much about any spacing issues if you are looking to swap out a buckle and tang (post). Most will fit with minimal modification.

As long as you get the correct mm width for the buckle, the amount of possible spacing between the tang and strap will be very minimal, and you should not even notice it when it is buckled up and being worn.

At most if you have a thinner tang, you are still only talking about very little gap between that and the strap as it will be only fractions of a millimeter, and you would really have to look hard to notice the difference.
Oh ok, I understand the question better and Nokie says it right there.

My experience has been that you have nothing to worry about if the tang/post is narrower. It's more likely that the tang/post will be wider. In which case you may have to "press" the band on to the new tang/post a few times to stretch the hole out, but it's no big deal.

·
Vendor
3,059 Posts
Echoing what is above, you should not have to worry about this too much. The narrow style ones are all pretty close in size. If it's potentially wider, it'll probably still press through the hole easily and the hole will stretch after a couple of times.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts