WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been considering ordering another Toshi, or Gunny strap, however, my watch has 21mm lugs. Rich (Toshi) only makes straight straps, but, states he can cut a strap to any width, then size up the buckle. Have any of you ever went this route vs going 1mm wider at the lugs to match a standard buckle width? For example, I'm considering a 21mm straight strap with a 22mm buckle. If you've went down this road, do you regret it; due to play at the connection point, or other aspects I'm missing?

Much Appreciated.

R

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Never had one like that, but I think it would hardly be noticeable. Go for it.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Why not just get 22mm straps? I had a BB36 with 19mm lug width and I had custom straps made that were 20mm. The 1mm difference isn’t noticeable.

Here is Sinn my U1 which has 22mm lug width and it’s on a 24mm canvas and leather. Leather is more forgiving than canvas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for your insight. Been down the road of going up 1mm. However, I was curious since Rich mentions this as a possible avenue and wondering if there was any noticeable play in the buckle.

A 21mm strap might provide the option of sneaking into to a 20mm lug w/o overtaking the watch.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
It depends on the leather and how thin the leather is skived where it is turned over at the lug and buckle ends. For example: Soft leather that is skived thin will fit smaller lugs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
528 Posts
Why not just get 22mm straps? I had a BB36 with 19mm lug width and I had custom straps made that were 20mm. The 1mm difference isn’t noticeable.

Here is Sinn my U1 which has 22mm lug width and it’s on a 24mm canvas and leather. Leather is more forgiving than canvas.

I would not have thought to do this, but it seems to work well with your watches. Thanks for posting these photos.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I've been considering ordering another Toshi, or Gunny strap, however, my watch has 21mm lugs. Rich (Toshi) only makes straight straps, but, states he can cut a strap to any width, then size up the buckle. Have any of you ever went this route vs going 1mm wider at the lugs to match a standard buckle width? For example, I'm considering a 21mm straight strap with a 22mm buckle. If you've went down this road, do you regret it; due to play at the connection point, or other aspects I'm missing?

Much Appreciated.

R
Literally wearing one right now as I own a number of 21mm lug watches. It works fine, you won't even notice once it is on the wrist. A little surprised he won't make any kind of tapered strap though? That would be a non starter for me, many times if you want to keep the original buckle on a watch you have to have a taper.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rich makes some great straps and is well known as one of the best in the business. A straight strap is the way he rolls and that's cool with me.

The watch in question works best IMO with a straight, no nonsense, strap. Rich and Gunny are two of the best at producing what I'm after. I thought I'd give the 21mm a shot and rather than ask "the salesman" I was looking for some feedback from those who've chosen this route.

Thanks to all of you for the thoughtful feedback.

·
Registered
359 Posts
A 22mm strap will fit perfectly on 21mm lugs. I have several for my SMP Racing. I would not bother with a 21mm strap; that 1mm difference at the buckle would bother me. But, I do have OCD :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
This is the watch in question. It's been in my collection for a while on a 22mm, Black, ToxicNato ShizNit N80. Always looked a bit boring and got little wrist time. I had some spare time this week and I threw on this leather lined 21/18 Canvas Verte. The green color really brought the watch to life and the distressed canvas enhanced it's outdoorsy/rugged look. Maybe the Spring air has something to do with it, because it's a blast to wear now.

The Verte will stay, but, I'll casually look around for something in the right shade of green and all leather. The hunt is part of the fun. As of now, Toshi is out because his greens, although beautiful, don't appear to play well with this watch. Red Rock Straps (beautiful: have two) are out as I want leather.

On a positive note, I forgot this watch has drilled lugs, which makes choosing a 22mm wide strap much easier. Also, with your suggestions, I'm seriously considering some taper for added comfort, such as a 22/20. As of now, the distressed green, Caitlin 7, from Gunny, is my leading candidate. However, enhanced brightness and/or contrast used in some galleries tend to make straps appear bolder in color than they really are, so I'm a bit skeptical. I actually played this game somewhat in the the picture below.

Again, thanks. I don't like to post questions, however, I'm glad I braved the waters and called out for help.

IMG_2003.JPG

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
This is the watch in question. It's been in my collection for a while on a 22mm, Black, ToxicNato ShizNit N80. Always looked a bit boring and got little wrist time. I had some spare time this week and I threw on this leather lined 21/18 Canvas Verte. The green color really brought the watch to life and the distressed canvas enhanced it's outdoorsy/rugged look. Maybe the Spring air has something to do with it, because it's a blast to wear now.

The Verte will stay, but, I'll casually look around for something in the right shade of green and all leather. The hunt is part of the fun. As of now, Toshi is out because his greens, although beautiful, don't appear to play well with this watch. Red Rock Straps (beautiful: have two) are out as I want leather.

On a positive note, I forgot this watch has drilled lugs, which makes choosing a 22mm wide strap much easier. Also, with your suggestions, I'm seriously considering some taper for added comfort, such as a 22/20. As of now, the distressed green, Caitlin 7, from Gunny, is my leading candidate. However, enhanced brightness and/or contrast used in some galleries tend to make straps appear bolder in color than they really are, so I'm a bit skeptical. I actually played this game somewhat in the the picture below.

Again, thanks. I don't like to post questions, however, I'm glad I braved the waters and called out for help.

View attachment 13006157
Green has such a wide color spectrum when it comes to straps. Perhaps consider an Olive Drab green, it’s a muted green and sometimes has a hint of brown.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts