WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started looking for my 2nd G-Shock and eventually bought more and more G's, I set budgets for myself. But the cursed Frogman broke all the rules and my budget was smashed to bits after I took the plunge and got my first frogman (and subsequently bought a few more).

Now, that I have reached the price "limit" of one of the more expensive mainstream G's (around US$300 to $350). I find myself looking at more and more expensive watches... not necessarily G-Shocks... o|

Does this or has this happen to anyone else?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Yes yes yes!

I went to Seiko and then Citizen for my next fix after G-Shocks ( which I'm still into as well ).

God only knows whats next.

However I think I'll only ever be staying in the realms of 'affordable watches'

I still haven't spent over £150 on any watch.

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
Yes. I too moved into Seiko and then Citizen. I find particular enjoyment from Japanese watch manufacturers. The 'bang for the buck' seems to outweigh others by a good margin, and that holds for any price point (my MarineMaster is a good example).

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've been wondering, why do Frogman watches cost more than other G-Shocks? The water resistance and features seem the same... Thanks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been wondering, why do Frogman watches cost more than other G-Shocks? The water resistance and features seem the same... Thanks.
I suppose one reason is the limited production / limited release of Frogman watches by Casio into the market for consumer consumption.

There is an excellent discussion thread about why Frogman are so expensive compared to most other G-Shocks. I can't seem to locate that thread for the life of me.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
Guilty as charges... I've as well broke the limit that I've set to myself and I've also collected quite a few Seikos. Interestingly enough even thou I owned a few citizens here and there they never did a thing for me. Du no why, they're excellent watches.

As for seiko? Don't mention it to me... I got a Sumo and I REALLY and I mean REALLY want Marine Master.

Worst thing is when you break you limit for "I'll get this one and this one will be soo good that I won't need another one for a while because this one is so good... actually, if I don't get one in a while I'll actually save money..."

Yea right...

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
It's their AURA and utalitarian look that's not duplicated on any other watch.

This is difficult to explain unless you own one. there is also a factor or "difficult to obtain" and we're somehow trained by Casio marketing machine to pay more for this watch. So we do...

Unique look and that "old school feel" that newer Gs just don't have...

We like it. So we pay for it. FROGS RULE! :-! ;-)

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I suppose one reason is the limited production / limited release of Frogman watches by Casio into the market for consumer consumption.

There is an excellent discussion thread about why Frogman are so expensive compared to most other G-Shocks. I can't seem to locate that thread for the life of me.

I brought up the question "Why are Frogmen so expensive", there are lots of good arguments but its kind of all lost on me lol.

Im currently in the mode that "I want a Frogman" I recently got there from "Oh I'll just stick with 6900's. Hopefully I'll go back to budget level watches - $150 soon (lol) after I get my Frogman. I think its a natural evolution in collecting G's, your tastes change and evolve to reflect your personality and what you like in Casio's so its to be expected.

·
7,946 Posts
This is a great thread. funny thing is I started with Citizen and Seiko and moved into the G-Shock realm. Like Topher, I just love the Japan made watches. My eventual goal is a Tag though, I really like those.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a great thread. funny thing is I started with Citizen and Seiko and moved into the G-Shock realm. Like Topher, I just love the Japan made watches. My eventual goal is a Tag though, I really like those.

I'm eyeing off the Oris range... That is :rodekaart for my wallet.. Very very bad o|!

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've had Rolex, Jaeger, IWC, etc. I'm getting quite sour on these luxury brands. They are just not worth it. They have quality issues, they can fail. They get all scratched up easily. And most of all they are too heavy and uncomfortable. I've become negative on the luxury game after many years.... I like these G-Shocks. They are cool. I've had two so far. No quality issues. You can build up a little collection.

Lately I've had a couple Ball watches. They have some fairly good values around the $750-1500 range. You may want to check those out. Also, I have a Seiko "Orange Monster". They metal work on those compares favorably to watches that cost MUCH more. It's pretty cool.

But right now, I'm enjoying these G-Shocks - The lightness, comfort, features, cool look...

·
7,946 Posts
I've had Rolex, Jaeger, IWC, etc. I'm getting quite sour on these luxury brands. They are just not worth it. They have quality issues, they can fail. They get all scratched up easily. And most of all they are too heavy and uncomfortable. I've become negative on the luxury game after many years.... I like these G-Shocks. They are cool. I've had two so far. No quality issues. You can build up a little collection.

Lately I've had a couple Ball watches. They have some fairly good values around the $750-1500 range. You may want to check those out. Also, I have a Seiko "Orange Monster". They metal work on those compares favorably to watches that cost MUCH more. It's pretty cool.

But right now, I'm enjoying these G-Shocks - The lightness, comfort, features, cool look...
You should touch base with Ianmedium (where has he been?) he's soured just like you on the "luxury watches" for many the same reasons.

By the way, a quick answer to your Frog question.....they are really quality watches with great presence. Its a Divers watch, but not your typical divers watch, you have to look at one, pop it on your wrist to see what I mean. Most I have seen including myself of course love them. :p

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I'm like Keeky in that I started small, a few Seikos and then like Topsy, it just grew! Eventually I did get very disillusioned with most big brand names. I do still own a couple of Omega Speedmasters, that I still love but gone are virtually all the others and I don't miss them one whit. Been there done that! :-d

These days there are some great small watch companies producing some nice homage pieces that really make you wonder how high end watches end up costing what they do. Companies like Debaufre and others are great if you want an honest reasonably priced mechanical Swiss watch and Seiko just about cover all other bases.

G-Shocks have totally revitalised my watch collecting and I'm again having the fun that I remember from the early days and long may that continue. One thing for sure I've discovered, the friendliness and fun of watch forums seem to be in inverse proportion to the value of the watches being discussed, which is why this one is by far the nicest around.

So to anyone thinking of treading the steps that Sili describes, there's probably nothing I can say to dispel the madness that will ensue but when you've got it out of your system, I'll see you back in here to complete the cure .....:-! ...:-d

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Thanks for the input. I think that's what I needed to bring me back to earth a little with my wondering eyes. Perhaps I'll remain collecting cheap plastic G-shocks that really rock! At least maybe my thirst for spending money can yield more material posessions in the case of many G-Shocks rather then 1 or 2 high priced luxury watches. :think:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Once you have to many G-Shocks you casn always sell a few to fund other makes like I have.

5 old standard G-Shocks = 1 Citizen Nighthawk (with money to spare)
1 Gaussman = 1 Seiko Black Monster

Swings and roundabouts!

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
My budgeting has become a little creative at times. Sufficiently so that 'budgeting' is something of a misnomer. And for 'at times' read 'generally'.

I only allowed myself to own multiple watches at a fairly late stage in my life. Previously, I had been quietly hoping that my watch would break so I could go and buy another. It was a G-Shock that opened the floodgate.

Once I had more than one watch, the leap to having many was no problem at all. The purchases were generally G-Shocks, but I had a Seiko diver phase too. Sometimes I bought watches without much deliberation, so soon had a number I didn't really look forward to wearing.

I did some pruning and thinking. I didn't want a 'never mind the quality, feel the width' collection, so started looking upwards towards the likes of Stowa and Sinn. Then I had a Timefactors phase, not unlike my Seiko diver phase. Both of these phases were essentially fuelled by forums.

The quality aspect rose until I hit Omega. My joy was unconfined as I sat on a bench outside the shop just looking at it. This moment had caused my watch fund to hit a peak of -£1,250. Then, over time, the Omega became just a watch, and I became aware of flaws just as I would with a cheaper watch.

I sold it at a comparatively substantial loss, and it took my watch fund a year to recover. I still admired companies like Stowa and Sinn, and my new maximum became something like £500 rather than £1,500. I knew that you could get Omega quality at a third of the price. A quarter, even.

Then I rediscovered Seiko, but a different part of Seiko, and that brings me to where I am today. G-Shocks for their down-to-earthness, Seikos for a touch more sophistication, the Stowa and Sinn for an occasional dip into the mechanical side of things.

You can easily match Omega-type quality for £500. You can sometimes match it for £250. You can get all you really need from a watch (and more) for £50.

My watch fund is usually in the black. However, I do have a tendency to regard a balance of £0 as an opportunity to spend...

If I suddenly became rich, I'm sure I would be paying Bond Street a visit. I would probably dress up a bit, just to look like a proper customer. I would probably wear one of my less knockabout watches too. And I would probably find myself sitting in a Victorian saloon bar admiring the new Vacheron Constantin / Lange & Sohne / IWC on my wrist. But that day will never come, and I'll be perfectly happy with a few plastic Casios, a few metal Seikos, and the odd nod in the direction of cogs 'n' wheels heritage.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My budgeting has become a little creative at times. Sufficiently so that 'budgeting' is something of a misnomer. And for 'at times' read 'generally'.

I only allowed myself to own multiple watches at a fairly late stage in my life. Previously, I had been quietly hoping that my watch would break so I could go and buy another. It was a G-Shock that opened the floodgate.

Once I had more than one watch, the leap to having many was no problem at all. The purchases were generally G-Shocks, but I had a Seiko diver phase too. Sometimes I bought watches without much deliberation, so soon had a number I didn't really look forward to wearing.

I did some pruning and thinking. I didn't want a 'never mind the quality, feel the width' collection, so started looking upwards towards the likes of Stowa and Sinn. Then I had a Timefactors phase, not unlike my Seiko diver phase. Both of these phases were essentially fuelled by forums.

The quality aspect rose until I hit Omega. My joy was unconfined as I sat on a bench outside the shop just looking at it. This moment had caused my watch fund to hit a peak of -£1,250. Then, over time, the Omega became just a watch, and I became aware of flaws just as I would with a cheaper watch.

I sold it at a comparatively substantial loss, and it took my watch fund a year to recover. I still admired companies like Stowa and Sinn, and my new maximum became something like £500 rather than £1,500. I knew that you could get Omega quality at a third of the price. A quarter, even.

Then I rediscovered Seiko, but a different part of Seiko, and that brings me to where I am today. G-Shocks for their down-to-earthness, Seikos for a touch more sophistication, the Stowa and Sinn for an occasional dip into the mechanical side of things.

You can easily match Omega-type quality for £500. You can sometimes match it for £250. You can get all you really need from a watch (and more) for £50.

My watch fund is usually in the black. However, I do have a tendency to regard a balance of £0 as an opportunity to spend...

If I suddenly became rich, I'm sure I would be paying Bond Street a visit. I would probably dress up a bit, just to look like a proper customer. I would probably wear one of my less knockabout watches too. And I would probably find myself sitting in a Victorian saloon bar admiring the new Vacheron Constantin / Lange & Sohne / IWC on my wrist. But that day will never come, and I'll be perfectly happy with a few plastic Casios, a few metal Seikos, and the odd nod in the direction of cogs 'n' wheels heritage.
That was a very insightful peek into your watch collecting habits Tribe. Thanks for sharing. :thanks

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Sort of. Started with a Seiko, which cost twice what I've ever spent on a G. But at the time it was intended to be my only watch (one watch? :-d:-d:-d). I'm about the increase the budget significantly though, but pare down the collection a little-I've tried enough to know what I like, so can be a bit more focused now.

I don't have any real interest in expensive watches (unless anyone wants to buy me a non-date sub? But that's because I'm a Bond fan, not a Rolex fan), for the reasons given here already. Quality is available for far less money. I read somewhere recently, 99% of people will assume your expensive watch is a fake; if what you want is quality, why pay for a name no-one will believe?

·
Registered
4,569 Posts
Yes, I think budgets are very fluid. It depends on circumstances, available free money, job or personal finances situation, etc.

I think it is common for people to go up, but I have personal admiration for people that, after owning high-end models, recognize that G-Shocks are in no way down. :-!

·
Registered
471 Posts
i lost my "virginity" last week with PRG110AB, spending USD180 on it. but no regret, just love the white EL :-!

part of the blame is on WUS but cant denied that it's me the problem. since getting my first watch at 8 years old and killing a dozens, i'm on my 15th or 16th watch and the cost of my watch is getting higher...

now eying on White Monster with on clearance sales and the upcoming G9200 :rodekaart

1 - 20 of 25 Posts