WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a little problem. So I was camping last weekend with my black 6900 and when I sprayed bug spray on myself it got on my G. No biggie right? Well it left a spotty film all over the case and I have since scrubbed it with warm soapy water and a tooth brush to no avail. Anybody have any experiance with anything like this? Any suggestions as to how to remedy this?

Thanks!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
dang! awell I guess. I wont make that mistake again. By the way, sorry for your loss sjors!

·
7,405 Posts
Yep....do a search here for Deet, and you will see many a resin casualty :-( There should be a warning somewhere.

Suntan lotion however should be safe, I used it with my 7900 with no problems.

I watched the end of the Tour last night....last one for Lance I suppose? :-(

·
Registered
255 Posts
I too have experienced this pain, a brand new solar atomic gulfman met the Deet monster, didn't even cross my mind while spraying...I have tried everything to remedy this situation, with no luck.
I am usually so careful too, especially when the G is new. OUCH!!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I did the same thing a couple years ago. I tried soap and water, nail polish remover, and alcohol. Nothing worked. The little dots are still there. Please let me know if anything works. Since then, I take off my watches before spraying with insect repellent. My only consolation is that you will get used to it over time and it will eventually not bother you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I saw a Park Service intern's Timex Ironman fall completely off her wrist after a week of bug spray use on St. John. The band just disintegrated right before our eyes. You have to wonder what it does to your skin.:think:

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I saw a Park Service intern's Timex Ironman fall completely off her wrist after a week of bug spray use on St. John. The band just disintegrated right before our eyes. You have to wonder what it does to your skin.:think:
I think you have to have a fairly good grasp of chemical structures and reactions to equate that one.
Just the same way that black tea can erode broken metal screws from watch movements, but years of drinking it can provide a person with antioxidant benefits, I believe DEET attacts the chemical make up of the plastics / rubbers.

·
Registered
5,160 Posts
Yep, the DEET (Diethyl-meta-toluamide) is the chemical that makes "bug juice" repel bugs -- it melts plastic, but it's Ok on your skin, trust me!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DEET

Or not! I have read that some tribes in the Amazon simply ignore the bugs. I would recommend trying that instead of using the DEET.
I wouldn't assume that...between 7-14% of whatever DEET is on your skin will be absorbed into your blood stream. While it rarely causes obvious symptoms and is pee'd out in hours, we have zero idea or knowledge about the long term (cumulative) effects of regular DEET exposure. It certainly isn't a natural chemical that should be in the human body.

My suggestion and use of DEET is limited to wearing light clothes and spraying it on those only if there is a major insect problem that can't be handled by one of the natural citronella type repellants.

Taking regular doses of Vit B1 will make you naturally smell and taste bad to insects, as will garlicy food.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
I had a similar incident back in my Swatch days so I never put bug spray on while having a "G" on, although I have some beater "G's" and Pathfinders that I wear when hiking but I put the spray on first let it dry then put my watch on. I have had no issues doing it in that order.:-!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Even Citronella isn't totally safe:

Health Canada says it is concerned about large amounts of citronella products being applied to skin in the form of insect repellent. The agency completed a re-evaluation of citronella insect repellents in 2004 and found there was still "a high degree of uncertainty about its safety." Health Canada's Pest Management Regulatory Agency is proposing phasing out citronella-based repellent.

I can't buy citronella anymore here... It has been banned. Only DEET if available.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
mrtime, I'd try some Armorall or something like that on it. Probably won't work, but at this pont it could'nt hurt!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts