WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Whats with the split windshield? Weird.

Seems like a silly idea. Im sure the car is in the $1,000,000 range, so besides the fact that the tourbillon is probably adding 100k alone, the whole concept of a mechanical watch in a car is dumb, let alone one that can be removed to leave a gaping hole in the middle of the dashboard.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
The center line and split window is an attempt to draw similarities to Bugatti's of old in particular the Bugatti Atlantic. I think something is lost in translation but that was the intent I guess.

I like the watch I idea. Get in the car for a long drive and put in the dash get out and take with you as a watch. Unfortunately it's less attractive as a wrist watch maybe if it was a pocket watch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The center line and split window is an attempt to draw similarities to Bugatti's of old in particular the Bugatti Atlantic. I think something is lost in translation but that was the intent I guess.

I like the watch I idea. Get in the car for a long drive and put in the dash get out and take with you as a watch. Unfortunately it's less attractive as a wrist watch maybe if it was a pocket watch.
Wait, so the clock for the car is a wristwatch? Isnt that a little too small and impractical? Especially for a sedan?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Wait, so the clock for the car is a wristwatch? Isnt that a little too small and impractical? Especially for a sedan?
lol...good point. Im trying to figure out if thats the biggest wrist watch ever, or the smallest dash clock ever.

·
Registered
829 Posts

Seems like a silly idea. Im sure the car is in the $1,000,000 range, so besides the fact that the tourbillon is probably adding 100k alone, the whole concept of a mechanical watch in a car is dumb, let alone one that can be removed to leave a gaping hole in the middle of the dashboard.

Sweet looking car, but I'd take the faster Veyron for that kind of dough!

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
No offense, but anyone questioning the logic of a removable tourbillon in a 1.5 million dollar car is sort of missing the point here. I mean, there's absolutely nothing about this venture that makes the least bit of sense, and when taken in that light, the notion of a $100K+ time piece that's awkward as both a dash clock and a wristwatch suddenly seems like a brilliant idea.

I wonder, how much do you think my MDX is worth as a trade-in... :think:

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
No offense, but anyone questioning the logic of a removable tourbillon in a 1.5 million dollar car is sort of missing the point here. I mean, there's absolutely nothing about this venture that makes the least bit of sense, and when taken in that light, the notion of a $100K+ time piece that's awkward as both a dash clock and a wristwatch suddenly seems like a brilliant idea.

I wonder, how much do you think my MDX is worth as a trade-in... :think:

Regards,
Adam
+1, hard to criticize that detail as impractical when the car is powered by an 8 liter 16 cylinder engine. Yeah, the watch makes it impractical.....

I do like the idea of the leather watch case. Has it been done before?

·
Registered
455 Posts
While I started scrolling down through the pics I thought that the clock itself was kind of cool. Before I realized that it doubled as a watch and then I just thought its stupid and the brown for the wrist watch is ugly. I do however really like the dial.
It would be interesting for a car like that to have a mechanical dash clock. Much larger of course. It would be a bit impractical, maybe not as bad if it had like a 7 day reserve (and they did have mechanical clocks on planes). But if you own that car im sure its not too much to worry about. Now after your maid does the dishes and cleaning she can go out to your car and wind your dash clock.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
+1, hard to criticize that detail as impractical when the car is powered by an 8 liter 16 cylinder engine. Yeah, the watch makes it impractical.....

I do like the idea of the leather watch case. Has it been done before?
I would say its about as impractical as if the 16 cylinder engine was hand cranked. As little sense as the car itself makes, the watch makes zero sense. The car is not an everyday driver. So, you either leave the clock inside and wind and set it every time you drive the car, or you wear it on your wrist to keep it running, and inexplicably remove it from your wrist and insert it into your dash when you get in for a drive.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
I get a kick out of hearing people who collect large numbers of mechanical watches to tell time less accurately than a quartz timex, talk about how silly and impractical it is. :-d

·
Registered
6,815 Posts
who gives a rats ass about practicality? :-s especially in a car of this caliber.

the timepiece (if im not mistaken is a Parmigiani Fleurier, worth well over 100k if its a tourbillon from that maker) is only for the wealthy owner to have another thing that he can say "cool! what a nifty option on my flashy new car!"

that is all.

Everyone talking about how impractical it is; doesnt get it.

People who purchase these cars also have watch collections (similar hobbies), so it is done to appeal to them.

I think its a beautiful watch, a cool quirky option for the car, and dome well. You guys need to look at the bigger picture. kinda like whining about the latest Ferrari's gas mileage. :-d

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
You guys are totally right, its a super awesome option. I cant wait until they introduce removable leather seat hides that can be worn as a raincoat, snap off wheels that I can put on my motorcycle, and a glove compartment that doubles as a backpack.

The car is impractical; the clock is just stupid.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Personally I think this is a awesome idea, love the concept of the car (would rather have the veyron though). In all reality I think the car would rarely be left with "a gaping hole in the dash" as how often would you wear it?

Have any of you thought, maybe this is bugatti's move into the watch world, and they are merely using the car as the presentation box for it?

PS - Looking at the dash shot, it looks like there could be a watch winding mechanism in place. Im just looking at the 'cradle' to me it looks as if its designed to rotate - it would definitely make sense to me after all some people may never wear this as a watch, bugatti wouldnt let a car out without that sort of detail

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
PS - Looking at the dash shot, it looks like there could be a watch winding mechanism in place. Im just looking at the 'cradle' to me it looks as if its designed to rotate - it would definitely make sense to me after all some people may never wear this as a watch, bugatti wouldnt let a car out without that sort of detail
There definitely doesnt appear to be a winder as it would have to fit over the crown to wind it. The signature on the crown is visible, so I dont think thats the case.

·
Registered
26,436 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts