WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is the 2nd flieger I have built. The first one was more of a typical FL23883 with a B dial similar to some of the Laco offerings. It has a ETA 2824-2 Top grade movement which is of course an auto. For this one I wanted something different so I went with a case that's more similar to a Stowa. It has a manual wind Sea-Gull ST36 and a blue dial with a small seconds hand at the 9 o'clock position.

If anyone wants to build one of these, the tools and directions you'll need can be found in my Build your own PAM thread. I ordered all the parts from Helenarou except for the Sea-Gull ST36 Swan Neck 6497 clone which I already had. You can pick them up on Aliexpress or ebay for around $40-45usd. I bought the strap from Long Island Watch.

I ordered the brushed case with polished bezel, but the bezel on what I received is brushed. I preferred the brushed anyway, but that one was listed as out of stock. I went for the double dome sapphire crystal option. I ordered the hands, dial, and movement mounting tabs. With the strap, case, and movement I have about $255usd total in parts + shipping.

This case does not have a screw down crown like the other one I made, but with a manual wind watch I didn't really want that anyway. The crown is double recessed, but I could see no gasket. I'd rate the WR as splash proof at best.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After a day of wear I checked the movement on my timegrapher. It actually looks pretty amazing for a $40 Chinese movement. Beat rate is 21,600. Lift angle 44.

Position, Error s/d, Amplitude, Beat Error
Dial Up +2 280 0
Dial Down +3 267 0
Crown Left -6 243 0
Crown Up -1 243 0
Crown Down -1 255 .1

Average error -.6 s/d. Max positional error 9 seconds.

I'll check it again after a few weeks and make any final adjustments as necessary. So far it looks as good or better than any ETA 649x I have seen. The feel when I wind it is indistinguishable from the ETA. The big onion crown makes it a joy to wind. Despite the large case size the watch is quite comfortable to wear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts