• Rolex Submariner Date (black bezel)

Votes: 63 30.9%
  • Omega Speedmaster 3861 Sapphire Sandwich

Votes: 164 80.4%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured I'd finally make a post after narrowing the watches I'm interested in down to just four... For a three watch collection. I figure if I don't set a hard limit at three I'll end up going right down the rabbit hole!

I currently own a Tudor Pelagos FXD and have zero intentions of ever getting rid of it, it's my first watch and perfect all around. I lucked out and managed to get it with only a three day wait, so it feels extra special. That brings me to picking two out of the following three to build the rest of my collection.

I'm in a jam since I like all of them equally, so I was hoping to gather opinions from you guys if you own one or multiple on the list.

• How has the watch been for you?
• Did it live up to your expectations, exceed them, or fall a little short?

My wrist size is 7.25" and I'm an active and outdoorsy person, very casual dresser. I've tried all three on (the Explorer II was the black dial), and none look out of place/ they all felt pretty good. My few gripes are the Submariner may be redundant with the Pelagos, and the Speedmaster's taper on those new 3861 bracelets is pretty aggressive and felt a smidge small. I would most likely have that one live on leather if it made its way into the collection.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions,

Cheers.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Wrist

· Premium Member
1,158 Posts
You gotta go with a Moon Speedy! 3861 is great in either flavor. The bracelet does have an aggressive taper, with that said it is a really comfortable bracelet especially compared to the 1861 model. There are some aftermarket retro inspired bracelets from Forstner that look amazing on the watch. They have less of an aggressive taper. You might want to look into those and figure that into the ownership of a Speedy if you go that route. I don't buy non diver / chrono watches so I am no help for your 3rd pick haha.

· Registered
12,389 Posts
The following is just my opinion, based on my own approach, and it is worthless at the end of the day. In such a focused collection I couldn't personally double-up on any one category, so out of those three it would have to be the Speedy and Exp II for me. That said, my own personal collection is Sub [ND], 3861 Hesalite Speedy, and Root Beer GMT, so take that FWIW.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You gotta go with a Moon Speedy! 3861 is great in either flavor. The bracelet does have an aggressive taper, with that said it is a really comfortable bracelet especially compared to the 1861 model. There are some aftermarket retro inspired bracelets from Forstner that look amazing on the watch. They have less of an aggressive taper. You might want to look into those and figure that into the ownership of a Speedy if you go that route. I don't buy non diver / chrono watches so I am no help for your 3rd pick haha.
I have been taking a look into some of the options they offer and they definitely look amazing on the watch. I don't mind that one with the polished outers that I believe is similar to the Ed White Speedmaster.

· Registered
3,758 Posts
I figured I'd finally make a post after narrowing the watches I'm interested in down to just four... For a three watch collection. I figure if I don't set a hard limit at three I'll end up going right down the rabbit hole!

I currently own a Tudor Pelagos FXD and have zero intentions of ever getting rid of it, it's my first watch and perfect all around. I lucked out and managed to get it with only a three day wait, so it feels extra special. That brings me to picking two out of the following three to build the rest of my collection.

I'm in a jam since I like all of them equally, so I was hoping to gather opinions from you guys if you own one or multiple on the list.

• How has the watch been for you?
• Did it live up to your expectations, exceed them, or fall a little short?

My wrist size is 7.25" and I'm an active and outdoorsy person, very casual dresser. I've tried all three on (the Explorer II was the black dial), and none look out of place/ they all felt pretty good. My few gripes are the Submariner may be redundant with the Pelagos, and the Speedmaster's taper on those new 3861 bracelets is pretty aggressive and felt a smidge small. I would most likely have that one live on leather if it made its way into the collection.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions,

Cheers.

View attachment 17059430
Have you tried the previous gen sapphire sandwich 1863? I prefer the new bracelet, but you might like the old non-tapering one better. You can easily add an adjustable clasp for on-the-fly adjustment.

· Registered
1,004 Posts
This is my perfect 3 watch collection. Give the new Speedy a chance. Trust me. It is so much better all around than the previous gen.
My GS is one of the most high quality/ best finished watches I’ve handled.
And the Sub…well it’s a Sub. The perfect all arounder and easily can be a 1 watch collection.

I’ve recently added a second Sub. A 126613LB TT blue. I wanted a blue dial and I’m not a Datejust guy. The TT could not be my only Sub so that’s why I think the above is perfect for 3 watches.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Have you tried the previous gen sapphire sandwich 1863? I prefer the new bracelet, but you might like the old non-tapering one better. You can easily add an adjustable clasp for on-the-fly adjustment.
I tried one about a year ago, I did enjoy the fact it didn't taper as much but I prefer the look and feel of the new one. I'm sure I'd get used to the 15mm clasp once I owned it.

· Premium Member
Breitling, Cartier, G-Shock, Jaeger-LeCoultre, Omega, Rolex (x3), Seiko, Sinn, Tissot (x3), Unimatic
2,876 Posts
The Polar Explorer and Sub Date make a perfect combo. I'm never getting rid of either. They are a great for every day wear or in a larger collection. The Speedy just wasn't something I had my eye on or connected with. The other two have far exceeded expectations.

Watch Analog watch Clock Sky Grey

Watch Analog watch Clock Wrist Gadget

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The Polar Explorer and Sub Date make a perfect combo. I'm never getting rid of either. They are a great combo. The Speedy just wasn't something I had my eye on. The others have far exceeded expectations.

View attachment 17059791

View attachment 17059792
Very nice shots! How's the fit on the Explorer II with a 7.25" wrist? I've heard some people can't get a good fit and seek a half link for them.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts