WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at the Seiko tuna & baby tuna. They look awesome. So many choices. I'm a bit confused about one thing I thought I had read about people doing a tuna mod with older watch models that would fit in the aftermarket shrouds or something to that affect, maybe it was they were switching movements. Don't know I tried doing searches to find out about this. No luck so I thought maybe you all could fill me in on this.

·
Registered
59 Posts
You could be referring to the stainless steel shroud to replace the stock baby tuna shroud or the albacore (a tuna homage) both are made by yobokies.
Some people have done custom jobs using monster cases etc but they tend to be one offs and are not for sale.
As far as using older models and putting shrouds on them im not too sure. Perhaps somebody can chime in on that.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
There is a unique Tuna mod by machining the 6309 (both cushion and slim case) done at another forum.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Tuna's can be modded all kinds of ways. The only after market shroud maker I'm aware of is Yobokies, and that's for the Baby Tuna.

I had an SBBN007 a while back that I modded with DLC'd shroud, polished shroud torq screws, 6309 insert, and AR-coated sapphire crystal. I left the movement, dial and hands alone. It was a nice mod.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
My wife bought me mine for my 30th - love it!!! 7c46-7008 (born in the 80's like me). It's got some battle scars but then so have I :)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377286770.957445.jpg

Reactions: Spring-Diver

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Tuna's can be modded all kinds of ways. The only after market shroud maker I'm aware of is Yobokies, and that's for the Baby Tuna.

I had an SBBN007 a while back that I modded with DLC'd shroud, polished shroud torq screws, 6309 insert, and AR-coated sapphire crystal. I left the movement, dial and hands alone. It was a nice mod.

You said you "had", I take it you sold it. I think I may be the current owner :D I bought a Tuna that you describe, exactly, from a member here a few months ago. It is indeed a lovely watch. I actually just took it off a few minutes ago.

If I do indeed have your old Tuna, I'm glad to hear that the crystal is sapphire.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
You said you "had", I take it you sold it. I think I may be the current owner :D I bought a Tuna that you describe, exactly, from a member here a few months ago. It is indeed a lovely watch. I actually just took it off a few minutes ago.

If I do indeed have your old Tuna, I'm glad to hear that the crystal is sapphire.
Yeah, I sold it to a local guy back in the winter (contact made through WUS), he may have flipped it since then. You know how we are..... The serial number on mine was 880007 (https://www.watchuseek.com/f29/seiko-sbbn007-blackened-*additional-pics*-816759.html)

If a drop of water beads up tightly on the crystal, it is sapphire, if the bead of water flattens out it is mineral or Hardlex. If the crystal in your Tuna has a bluish hue to it, it's probably an AR-coated sapphire, as I don't think anybody sells AR-coated mineral or Hardlex crystals for Tunas.

·
Banned
1,440 Posts
Ahhh, serial number doesn't match. Bummer. But the one I have is modded exactly the same, torx screws and all. No AR coating, though.

I haven't ever submerged the watch or poured water over it simply because I changed the battery in it, and after opening it up, I fear I may have compromised the seal. I used a brand new caseback gasket and used a moisture barrier grease when reinstalled the caseback. But still, I'd rather have it tested before I ever get it near water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts