WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The inscription goes "XII Congress of the Bulgarian Communist Party 1981". Stainless steel case, I think. The seller said that such watches - some with inscription, some without - were offered to delegates at this congress. It is not a Russian watch, but still is from our side of the Iron Curtain and more important, what a device!
As an apology for showing a non-Russian watch, two honest amphibias.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Ahhh, the Buletronic - I am not anymore in quartz watches, but I have to admit - it looks very nice and solid, a true national pride :) They are already quite rare, and with this inscription it should be even more valuable. Congratulations.

To stick to the russians - nice Amphibia-s (as all Amphibians actually), but the second one has a little bit strange painted hands.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks. I did not pay attention to the hands. Now, when you are saying this, it sounds logical - amphibia should have lumed hands. Pity, this was my favorite amphibia. I have sometimes problems discovering the hands amongst so many colors and letters on newer Amphibia dials, incl. Radio Room, while older Amphibia models sometimes feel like thugs, with massive stainless steel bodies and small 2209 brains. Pity, I really liked it.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Nice and rare watch. Phil has a Buletronic worn by the Bulgarian team during a joint USSR-Bulgaria mission in the years '80s. Technology is copied by Pulsar if i'm not wrong, but i'm not sure (i don't remember well).

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Fine watch! b-)
An interesting story is told by the back inscription.

I have got too two non-russian watches, offered as gift to some Chemical Syndacalist -at least, this was what said me the seller, that is the daughter of the first owner.

Here are the pictures; if anyone knows more about, I'll be happy to learn...:)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Vaurien, the dial of the first watch says 'Roschimprofsojuz', or Russian Trade Union of Chemical Industry, I think. The dial of the second says 'FNPR', or - as the back cover explains - Federation of Independent Trade Unions of Russia. This is what I can decode.

Regarding the Bulgarian space missions - there were two of them - I wonder which ill-phill's watch Michele means. There are two Buletronics on netgrafik.ch, one early model with red LED dial and one chronograph like mine. The photos that I found suggest that only one Bulgarian cosmonaut, Georgi Ivanov, used a digital watch, the second one - Alexander Alexandrov seemingly had a mechanical watch (attachment 1 - Georgi Ivanov on the right, attachment 2 - Alexander Alexandrov on the right).
The LED Buletronic does not seem a likely candidate, because you should press the button each time you want to check the hour (the red lamps required much energy) - not very convenient in a space mission - and also because Georgi Ivanov clearly has a LCD watch on this photo.
The chronograph also is a bit problematic, because it was produced - as far as I know - in 1981. Mine is clearly dated 1981, and that on netgrafik has a very close serial number. Georgi Ivanov's space mission was in April 1979. Maybe there was a very early Buletronic Chronograph produced specially for him, but I would rather expect a version of Pravetz digital watch (attachment 3).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
storyteller, there was older Bulgarian digital watch with VFD or similar technology in early 70-ties. I red this in older magazine, there was a picture of it. It was issued for congress of "Bulgarian communist party" in very limited quantities. I tried to find information in the net, but without success.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I agree. My point was that Georgi Ivanov maybe used a Pravetz instead of a Buletronic Chronograph, as the one shown on netgraphic.ch.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Regarding the Bulgarian space missions - there were two of them - I wonder which ill-phill's watch Michele means. There are two Buletronics on netgrafik.ch, one early model with red LED dial and one chronograph like mine.
Yes, it was indeed a 1979 commemorative version (not used in that mission), see pic. Never heard about the Pravetz brand - it's a new and interesting thing. Any info more about it?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
storyteller, probably you are right about Pravetz. Should find more information about this. Thanx for the opinion, but I am not sure I know more :)
michelle, Pravetz was the largest computer manufacturer in Bulgaria. The digital watch, probably considered as a computer (or electronic digital device) was pioneered in Bulgaria via Pravetz. Information site about the history of these computers is here. No watches unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
Just to add picture material to the discussion. The watch I had in mind (from the late sixties-early seventies) is this one (pictures from seller):

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Visited today the watchmaker who repairs my watches. He said that both Buletronica and Pravetz were produced at the same factory in the town of Pravetz. However, the earlier models were reverse engineered, while the chronograph on my photos, he said, was made with legally purchased Japanese movements and only assembled in Pravetz.
Bought today another Amphibia, to replace my former favorite. Is it a fake again, or deserves servicing and reluming? The bezel looks suspicious.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
Bought today another Amphibia, to replace my former favorite. Is it a fake again, or deserves servicing and reluming? The bezel looks suspicious.

It's not a fake, it's original, with rare black bezel and complete with the original anti-magnetic shield. Only the hands need to be relumed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts