WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says, I'm in need of a new watch that is under $200. I'll give a brief history of why I say I need a "bulletproof" watch. First off, I'm 21 and have fairly small arms, only wear analog, and forever will be in love with my father's Submariner. I started wearing watches at a pretty young age and have always liked a classy diver look. However, I ALWAYS break them. I don't take my watch off for anything. Working in the oil field, wrenching on a car, wakeboarding, or jumping in a hot tub, my watch never leaves my wrist.

My first more serious watch (if you could call it that) was a Casio MDV-106. It was a bit big but it felt beefy. Sadly, after my abuse, it stopped working after about 6 months. I received a replacement on warranty and the second one lasted about the same. Just stopped altogether. My last was a Timex Expedition Diver, the T49615. This watch absolutely took a brutal beating. After accidentally spraying it (and my arm) with urethane based, automotive grade, safety blue paint, I thought it was done for. My only chance was to hose it down with brake cleaner. It cleaned up surprisingly well, and continued to be waterproof enough for me. After only a year though, the resin links in the bracelet began to face and crack (probably from lots of UV exposure) and I cracked the mineral face. This story sadly ends when it was ripped off my wrist while wakeboarding to forever be swimming without me. :-|

After much reading here, I began looking at watches like the Mako, Ray, 007, and the Monster. While the first three are beautiful, I am afraid they may not hold up to my abuse. As for the Monster, I'm certain I would not be happy wearing it on my wrist. I simply cannot stand the look of it, at least in pictures. I do, however, seem to read that the Monster is a hefty timepiece.

I would love to be pointed in the direction for a great looking watch that can take a beating. A stainless band and clasp are also a requirement...

Sorry for the long post, I just feel you may need a little background on my tastes and experiences. Thanks in advance!

Mike B.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
If you're that tough on watches, I'd recommend going with a quartz instead of automatic. The 007 is a tough watch, but in my experience, the 7s26 movement doesn't like relatively hard bangs very much.

If the budget can handle it, I'd go with 2 watches...a g-shock for abuse and a used 007 for all the other times.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
clouser read my mind(except for the 007 part)!Get yourself a G Shock for tough duty & then find that perfect analog for more relaxed times.If I might ask,what is it about the Monster that you find so revolting?

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Seiko skx009

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
clouser read my mind(except for the 007 part)!Get yourself a G Shock for tough duty & then find that perfect analog for more relaxed times.If I might ask,what is it about the Monster that you find so revolting?
I must say, the more I look at it, the better it does seem to look. Would it take a beating?

I feel like two watches would not work for me. There are many times where I might come home from work and right away have my hands going on a project. No doubt I would never change out of the nice looking watch... I haven't seriously looked at the G-Shock watches but from what I recall the appealing ones are WELL out of my price range. :(

·
Registered
6,065 Posts

The hands, the dial, the chapter ring, the bracelet, the shrouded bezel guard...

I bought one last year to see what the fuss was about... I didn't rate it at all. Kept it for a few months, it didn't grow on my at all so I flipped it

Now the SKX9... That's a neat watch :-!

Reactions: dacvibe

·
Registered
13,177 Posts
If, OTOH, you prefer the classic diver style, I heartily second the Seiko BFK. Forget the automatics and go Kinetic. The case & bracelet on the BFK are sturdier than the Monster anyway.

Solid, comfortable, Prospex-grade Seiko diver.

There's a cool looking modded one on the sales forum right now for under $200 (no affiliation).

Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If, OTOH, you prefer the classic diver style, I heartily second the Seiko BFK. Forget the automatics and go Kinetic. The case & bracelet on the BFK are sturdier than the Monster anyway.

Solid, comfortable, Prospex-grade Seiko diver.

There's a cool looking modded one on the sales forum right now for under $200 (no affiliation).

Tapatalk

Ahh I like this! I agree, I really don't desire an automatic, it just happens that all the coolest watcher are! However, this looks great! I will start my research! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Ahh I like this! I agree, I really don't desire an automatic, it just happens that all the coolest watcher are! However, this looks great! I will start my research! Thanks!
I think this is the way to go, my friend.... Definitely the BFK . They are really tough and can take pretty much anything !

There was a write up on a Torture Test on a BFK in the Seiko Forum a few weeks ago. They are not affected by hard shock like an auto, so should suit you well. Check this out :-

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/bfk-durability-testing-more-updates-655265.html

You can get them pretty cheap on the bay too.

Regards,

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You could always check out the Russian classic - Vostok Amphibian. They are cheap ($80 or so), uncommon and can take quite some punishment.

The stock bracelet is absolute junk though, so factor in a replacement in the price.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
I'd definitely go with quartz, based on the kind of abuse you put your watches through. My recommendation is a quartz Victorinox Divemaster 500. It's the most bombproof watch I own (way more so than my Submariner). Very solid, with a beefy screw down crown. Also WR to 500 meters. You can get it in a variety of different colored dials as well as stainless or rubber straps. My recommendation is that if you're using it in a work environment where it's taking a lot of abuse, put it on a Nato or Zulu strap to prevent losing it if you ever bend or break a pin after banging it, or snagging it, on something.

Here's mine (silver dial), on a Zulu, and side by side with a Seiko Neo-Monster on a Nato (virtually same size as Orange Monster) for comparison. You might prefer the black dial version if you like subs, or even the orange or blue. This is a watch you can't go wrong with.

DSC00910_s.JPG
DSC00908_S.JPG

·
Banned
196 Posts
THere is universe of watches for that amount of $$. You can go g-shock all the way or seiko or invicta, citizen,
Timex, youname it. For < $200, you don't expect much and don't get much -- I would go for the baby seiko monsters.
I consider these disposable watches, especially for $200 or less. Just remember, a watch is meant to be
worn but if you take a sub and wear it day in and day out, come selling time, you are gonna takea hit
of at least $500 or more because buyers buying want their watchesin pristine shape. Unless I was Bill Gates,
I would never abuse my Rolex collection ---- those are safe queens but all other brands are fair game for me.

·
Registered
530 Posts
If you are breaking watches that often, you're in g-shock territory whether you like it or not.

Or _maybe_ Citizen Eco-Drive or Seiko BFK

I've had my eco drive on for plenty of stuff, but when it gets rough I still take a g-shock. It's what they are build for. Stay away from automatics, you'll just need to replace them all the time.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts