WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I restart this thread, because I think that it is still of interest.

I own a Bulova Accu Swiss Murren Chronograph and I have to open the caseback.
Obviousely there is no screwdriver with 3 prongs and a diameter of 1.7 mm available to the public.
I wrote to Citizen and waiting for their response. What is available are 3 prongs Bulova caseback screwdrivers for their Percheron-watches, but those screws have a diameter of 3.4 mm.

I really do not understand why they are not available. Those watches are not being made anymore for some years and there is no guarantee anymore on those last Accu Swiss watches sold.

If there´s anybody out there who knows a little more than I do, please do not hesitate to answer to this thread!
I look forward to receiving any information! Thank you very much!

This is how they look like, diameter approx. 1.7 mm:

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hello watchhans.

Here is a solution that I have recently been using...

This is a shock spring tool made by Horotec for Kif Trior springs. It is available in three sizes, and the one that seems to best fit my Murren's three-hole screws is the Yellow 210 (2.1mm) model. Please note that I own the three-hand Murren rather than the chrono, so I am assuming that the screws are the same size. I have placed it into an old springbar tool handle to give me a better grip when I use it.

In the US, I bought mine from Esslinger, https://www.esslinger.com/horotec-tool-for-kif-trior-individual-sizes/, and I also know that in Europe it is available from Cousins in the UK, https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/kif-shockspring-tool. Perhaps you have a Horotec dealer in Germany as well?

Good luck! :)

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello watchhans.

Here is a solution that I have recently been using...

This is a shock spring tool made by Horotec for Kif Trior springs. It is available in three sizes, and the one that seems to best fit my Murren's three-hole screws is the Yellow 210 (2.1mm) model. Please note that I own the three-hand Murren rather than the chrono, so I am assuming that the screws are the same size. I have placed it into an old springbar tool handle to give me a better grip when I use it.

In the US, I bought mine from Esslinger, https://www.esslinger.com/horotec-tool-for-kif-trior-individual-sizes/, and I also know that in Europe it is available from Cousins in the UK, https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/kif-shockspring-tool. Perhaps you have a Horotec dealer in Germany as well?

Good luck! :)
Excellent idea! Thank you very much! I got the same KIF-Tools, but I fear that it might be too soft and might be damaged when using as a screwdriver.
Because I have a brand new watch and the screws are pretty tight.

But I will give it a try!:-!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Excellent idea! Thank you very much! I got the same KIF-Tools, but I fear that it might be too soft and might be damaged when using as a screwdriver.
Because I have a brand new watch and the screws are pretty tight.

But I will give it a try!:-!
I have a couple of observations concerning the use of the Kif tool.

First, like you, I was initially concerned that the tool's metal might be too soft for this purpose, because it's the same color as brass. However, I've used it on several watches and it is still undamaged. So this was a pleasant surprise.

Second, I had to use it on one watch whose screws were quite tight (I think there was a small amount of epoxy applied to each screw at the factory to keep it secure), and I had a hard time generating enough torque with the springbar tool handle to loosen the screws. So, I wrapped the shaft of the tool with tape (to protect the finish), and then held the tool with a pair of pliers to give me a stronger grip. With this approach, I was able to remove those tight screws quite readily.

I hope this is helpful!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was finally able to get the back off my Murren chronograph by filing my own screwdriver, now I need to get the movement out. I assume I need to pry off the bezel/crystal since the dial is larger than the case and there is a notch. Is there a specific tool anyone has used for that? I don't want to scratch the case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts