WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Owner says 16mm NATO. Are these things tiny? What color NATO came on them originally. I see black, brown, and olive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Beautiful watch. Most watches of this era had a 16-17mm lug width. The watch itself is small to today's standards. Nonetheless, I would wear it with pride. My smallest watch has a 17mm lug width and I do prefer 20mm or larger. Cheers

·
Banned
725 Posts
yes, 16mm is correct. the original straps were early one-piece pull-through straps, of the same design as later US-issue mil straps. they were a pale green color, and had light colored metal buckles (with a single, fixed fabric "keeper" like other US straps, as I already stated). the weave of the nylon on these straps was rather distinct. I'll see if I can find a pic or two. I think I still have one or two of them in the closet, and will take a pic if I do.

these are small by today's standards. they're a good bit smaller than British issued watches of the same period, too, for that matter. US watches ran small right up into/through the 1980s, really. the 3818a is about 32mm, I think. it wears well and has plenty of presence for its physical dimensions. you'll like it. high quality movement. if it's been serviced recently, you'll probably find that it keeps very good time.

-ben

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I'd love to see a photo of the strap. I bought a 16mm olive green nato off eBay last night as well.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never owned a hand wind.
Does it have over wind protection?
How long does it take to be wound? Everyday?

Thanks

·
Banned
725 Posts
haven't found my strap, yet. here's a pic of what I am talking about (pic taken from some dude's ebay images)
I'm pretty sure these straps were original issue for the A17 variants and the 3818a.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

as for winding, wind it once a day, and wind it until it wants you to stop. don't force it to wind if it is resisting you. you CAN overwind it and fugg it up.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Might be of interest: Bulova Military Wristwatches MIL-W-3818A & MIL-W-6433A (Type A17A) - Topic. I've bought and sold a couple of these. They are from the late 50's - early 60's and although small they are good, solid timepieces. I don't like the 1940-1980 mil watches on nato straps....just doesn't look right to me. The one piece olive drab canvas or nylon straps look more period-correct. I have heard some collectors say that they came on black nylon straps, but I've never seen a picture of one. Many period photographs of that watch show it on a light or medium brown pigskin strap...a common replacement that guys did when the issue fabric strap wore out. Might be a good way to go.

·
Banned
725 Posts
That strap more of a brown than an olive green?

that pic looks like it, but the ones I've had have all actually been real, old-school army fatigues green. I had one that was so faded it was almost gray, but I've never seen one that was brownish like the one above appears. I think it's the lighting.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boys, I have had an unexpected bump in the road. I have to sell it. 300 or OBO, Black two piece band, and & Olive Drab Nato stap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts