WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grabbed this bulova today and trying to do my homework. Movement is marked 7AP, which so far my research shows began production in 1935, however the movement is marked with the * symbol, which is an early twenties (1924 I think......) Mark. Any idea what's up anyone?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Grabbed this bulova today and trying to do my homework. Movement is marked 7AP, which so far my research shows began production in 1935, however the movement is marked with the * symbol, which is an early twenties (1924 I think......) Mark. Any idea what's up anyone?
I think the star symbol served double duty for 1924 and 1941.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
What he's saying is that the watch has been re-built and/or re-cased at some point in time. What are the markings on the case back? If it doesn't have the usual Bulova stamping s then it's not a watch manufactured by Bulova.

Bulova did not use the word "movement" on their dials made at the factory.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is marked bulova all over the case the movement and all and I even have the original bulova marked box, so I don't understand how that could be the case

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Well, then I would say that the movement or dial (at the least) has been replaced at some time in the past.

Bulova never released a watch with "Bulova Movement" on the dial. Those were only used as aftermarket repairs.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I would ad that the case isn't from 1937 (probably the early to mid-1940s), I so would bet the that the movement and dial came out of a recase, and was put back into a proper Bulova case. I grab the recased ones sometimes for parts movements myself - but I don't use the dial.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The case is a His Excellency "KK" from the late 1940's and early 1950's. The information stamped on the case back would determine the exact year. These models came with a 21 jewel movement and this one has a 17 jewel movement with an after market dial. So this watch does not have the correct movement currently.

HisExcellencyKK-29Oct2016.jpg

·
Banned
4,045 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I stand corrected. Thanks Bobbee. I downloaded the photos of the one in question and one from mybulova so I could compare them side by side and they are not the same. We need Lucas88 to post a photo of the case back, inside and outside, to do any further evaluation.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Here is a chart of the symbols. I guess the movement is from 1941. Someone could have just changed the dial when it was serviced somewhere along the way.

bulova_chart.jpg

·
Registered
551 Posts
Perhaps this will explain it a little better. Every men's Bulova case from the 1940's time period with the exception of the solid gold cases will have a 7 digit serial number stamped on the back along with "Bulova" or "B" and some level of rolled gold plate or gold filled. The first number in that 7 digit serial number is the year in the 40's decade. The example I'm using is from 1942 so the first digit in the serial number is "2".
1942BulovaCB-30Oct2016.jpg
The inside of the case back will have a stamping with "Bulova".
1942BulovaICB-30Oct2016.jpg
Inside the case bezel their will be 3 scratched in Roman numerals that should coincide with the last 3 numbers of the 7 digit case serial number. This photo isn't very clear but you can see there are Roman numerals scratched into the underside of the bezel. This indicates that the case bezel and case back belong together.
1942BulovaRNEngr-30Oct2016.jpg
The date code on the movement in the movement date code chart should match the serial number on the watch case back or possibly one year older.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts