WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about new Bulova series with gliding precisionist mechanism?
To me they look very nice, although maybe slightly overpriced...

BULOVA ACCUTRON II

What is your favourite?

For me these two.

Black versions seem to have more interesting bracelet though.

This one has just 30m WR :-(

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Yup, they look nice, a lot nicer than ugly over the top Precisionists. I just don't understand why they had to dumb down accuracy and WR. To sell more Precisionists? They are cheaper, and of course uglier. So their decision doesn't seem to make much sense. I just wish Accutron III will feature solar powered movement with same accuracy as Precisionist models and with looks of the Accutron II.

Reactions: bluloo

·
Premium Member
21,864 Posts
I like the Spaceview homages.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yup, they look nice, a lot nicer than ugly over the top Precisionists. I just don't understand why they had to dumb down accuracy and WR. To sell more Precisionists? They are cheaper, and of course uglier. So their decision doesn't seem to make much sense. I just wish Accutron III will feature solar powered movement with same accuracy as Precisionist models and with looks of the Accutron II.
Ariel Adams did a video review of one of the new Accutron II models and he says the new movements lost some of their accuracy in the quest to shrink the Precisionist movement for the smaller cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
The mailman just brought me this fun piece, which I've been eagerly awaiting since it was first announced.

And yes, I do have an original Spaceview, a very nice asymmetric watch in stainless with 14K accents. No, the "Accutron II" is not the same thing, but I think it's a nicely rendered 'homage' to the original, suitable for more casual and carefree wear. I've broken my original Spaceview crystal once already, I'm skittish about wearing it daily. By the same token, I have original Hamilton Venturas, and also modern ones for the same reason: I can enjoy them in casual wear without worrying about damaging a valuable original.

This may be the modern Bulova company's way to pirate the original company's past glory, but I must say I prefer to see the Accutron name and logo on a quartz watch -- grandchild to the original -- than on a mechanical. There's a real disconnect seeing the Accutron name -- which was derived from ACCUracy and elecTRONic -- on an automatic. There may not be a tuning fork in this but at least it is the modern evolution of the transistorized watch. And the smooth-turning second hand really does evoke the original. Nice touch. Like the original advertising said, "The second hand doesn't skip and jump -- it moves with the smooth, continuous motion of a satellite in orbit."

It 'wears' smaller than its actual 40mm size, thanks to a wide bezel and the way the minute chapter ring frames the movement. It draws the eye to the center and makes the overall watch less imposing.

One real negative: very cheap strap. I will replace that.

Still, for the price, it's a nice watch.

EDIT: when you compare this picture to the catalog picture a few posts above you'll see that the Bulova name on the crystal is much more discreet. They did a good job with this design.

Attachments

·
Registered
422 Posts
Well, this is weird: list price is $450. I bought mine on Amazon for $299 postpaid, no tax, and got it in just 3 days. Just now I looked and see there are only 2 sellers offering it on Amazon -- one at $450 plus $5 shipping, the other at $502 plus $18 shipping. On eBay there are only two, both from UK and priced around $440, plus high shipping.

I guess I just got lucky (though I'm sure plenty of people will be discounting these soon).

·
Premium Member
21,864 Posts
Well, this is weird: list price is $450. I bought mine on Amazon for $299 postpaid, no tax, and got it in just 3 days. Just now I looked and see there are only 2 sellers offering it on Amazon -- one at $450 plus $5 shipping, the other at $502 plus $18 shipping. On eBay there are only two, both from UK and priced around $440, plus high shipping.

I guess I just got lucky (though I'm sure plenty of people will be discounting these soon).
That's a good price. I guess I'll have to wait a bit until they become more readily available on the grey market,

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reactions: highbob

·
Registered
8,827 Posts

$337 at Amazon....
Bulova 96A155 Mens BA11 Black Leather Strap Watch at Amazon Men's Watch store.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
As much as I've admired Bulova for its Precisionist line during the past few years, I can't say I'm crazy about the direction of the company right now. They've pretty much done away with "Bulova Accutron" as we know it; as noted here, it's been replaced with Accutron II. In the meantime, many of the classic Bulova, Accutron, or Bulova/Accutron models such as the Gemini and Kirkwood are now being labled "Bulova Accu-Swiss," replacing Accutron as Bulova's Swiss-made line. It's all there on the current Bulova website.

Confused?

I think a lot of other people will be, too. And frankly, to me at least, the end of Bulova Accutron as a brand feels kind of like the end of an era, as Accutron II will now be more inexpensive watches, and I don't think many of them will be Swiss made, either.

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I find it funny people complain about their current direction. But i can actually understand what they are trying to do here. They are just re-using the Accutron brand just like Seiko is re-using the Astron brand.

They are using smooth gliding second hand movement that is way more accurate than any other regular quartz and comes very close to HAQ, yet it doesn't cost a grand and a half. It's using a three prong quartz crystal, something i'm not aware of anyone else using it in their watches.

As i see it, they have a well plotted future ahead for Accutron II brand. It's accurate, with really nice designs, unique smooth gliding second hand and unique quartz oscillator. They actually offer one of the most unique quartz watches which is certainly a great feature if we think about the fact that 99,9% of all existing quartz watches are pretty much all exactly the same thing. And you have to be unique and interesting to succeed these days. And that's what Accutron II watches are. Also, if we are truly honest, most of brands that originate outside of Switzerland and still brag about their native heritage, it's just pointless. Like Ball or Hamilton with their "American" heritage. Only thing that ties them with the past is the name and nothing else. So, why complain over Bulova and not those two? Bulova is Citizen's ticket to Swiss watch industry and they are using it with full potential. Can't blame them and they are doing a perfectly good job.

Anyone found any reviews about them or some more 360 degree views, all i can find are front facing photos, but i want to see them from all directions.

Btw, found another store that is selling them:
http://www.watchshop.com/Accutron-II-Watches.html

They are a bit expensive, but can still be an option for those from EU, if you count in shipping and tax, importing from US might be around the same price probably. Here it's the final price as the shipping is free and tax is already included.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,775 Posts
I think Bulova is headed in the right direction with these new models. Not only do they look good at first glance they are down to a wearable size. Some real thought went into these models. Over the time I've been aware of the Bulova line I've watched them go from reasonably designed and sized models like Gemini to supersized and overstyled Precisionist and noy they seem to be headed back to normalcy.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As i see it, they have a well plotted future ahead for Accutron II brand.
You make a number of very good points, RejZoR. Personally I see nothing to complain about. Their new line is honest, good quality, and reasonably priced. And to some extent, innovative -- as you correctly point out.

This blog has a video that shows more about the spaceview homage: Bulova Accutron II Alpha Watch Hands-On: The New & Affordable Spaceview With A Precisionist Movement | aBlogtoWatch

You can only see it in passing, but the crown is recessed into the case to hide it a bit, so that at least from the front it does evoke the look of the original 214 (which had the crown on the back).

1 - 20 of 92 Posts