WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.amazon.com/Bulova-96B229-Analog-Display-Japanese/dp/B00TQHEA4U

Buy Citizen Men's Eco-Drive Canvas Strap Watch at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Men's watches, Watches, Jewellery and watches.

Darn..... Keep meaning to get hold of an Skx...
And then i always seem to find something else that takes me off track

I love the look of the citizen field watch above,. But stumbled upon this lovely bulova earlier that now has my full attention........

Which would you go for????

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
71,472 Posts
If the Bulova was the Moon Watch (regardless of price) the Citizen wouldn't be in with a chance but as it is I'd go Citizen.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
For me it would be the Citizen because of the day/date feature, but, the Bulova has the case shape that's preferred.....

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Well, I have never been a fan of that Bulova for whatever reason. I don't much like the square/round case design, and the super shiny polished finish. (very shiny in person - on the sides) Aside from that, I know it's a solid watch. And it has a smooth sweeping second hand that's very nice as well. That Citizen is a classic for sure. Eco-Drive is always a plus. There's also the size difference... 42 mm Bulova vs 37ish mm Citizen. Both are solid, but I'd have to go with the Citizen. Pick whichever speaks to you. I'd snag the SKX before either, though.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not a great deal of love for bulova it would seem
I also love the sweeping second hand. I also believe it's a 22mm lug width. Which I do prefer as most of my NATO straps are that size... Aren't bulova owned by citizen these days?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
I have that Citizen; it's my beater. I wish it wasn't day/date, but everything else worked.

The Bulova just turns me off. Fluted bezel in a field watch? I'm not a big fan of the squared off main case with the round bezel, but throw in the fluted bezel on top of that? NOT a good look, IMO. There are plenty of other Precisionist 3-handers out there, if you want the accuracy and sweep seconds. The trade-off is battery life, IIRC, and of course the Citizen ignores that. It's hard to beat a solar quartz for convenience.

Of note: the two are quite different sizes. The Bulova shows as 42mm; the Citizen is 37. That's enough difference to say they likely won't both work for you.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Citizen for sure. However I'd recommend to save a bit and get that skx, it's just as nice as people say it is! Or as it is said in a 'meme' - "Why not both?".

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I love them both...... But the wise move is probably to get the skx first........

Sent from my 8063 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
1. Get the Seiko Diver you really want

2. I have a version of that Bulova. I'd get the Bulova between those two. I would not under any circumstances buy the Citizen. Way too small/dated. If you like one in person, you probably won't like the other. The sizing is radically different.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
This is a little funny... When you buy a Bulova, you're really buying a Citizen - They have merged!

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Corporate structure, yes. Watch lines, not at all.
Which is unfortunate, as a combination of the Precisionist and Eco-Drive lines would be wonderful.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Like a Breitling movement in a Tudor with Tudor tweaks. So cool. What other partnerships would be cool?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
Which is unfortunate, as a combination of the Precisionist and Eco-Drive lines would be wonderful.
I've also seen the flip side, that some would consider it a complete disaster. They don't *want* Eco-Drive in 'their' watches...it'd be filthy and contaminating and violating the Purity of Their Brand...or the origin, most likely. Could be these are predominately those who:

a) hate Japanese watches because they're not Swiss
b) think solar's a gimmick and/or won't last worth a darn
c) think Citizen's no better than Chinese

I wonder if one could ever successfully market a World Watch...Precisionist (Swiss) with Eco-Drive (Japanese), Swiss or German case, Italian or American leather straps. And promoted as "combining the best the world can offer."

1 - 20 of 26 Posts