WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have the Bulova explanation as well as the warranty and instructions. In essence the watch will likely perform within specs if you wear the watch as specified. If you want higher short term accuracy off the wrist then you will probably have to pay more. Or raher than fighting a losing battle with the service department you should ask for a replacement from the selling dealer.
I have two Bulova Precisionists, and while one of them after 9 months keeps time not within 10sec/yr, but certainly within the COSC standard that is often quoted. (~25s/y) the other one does not even meet that standard. They both did to begin with, but both have drifted off over the time I've had them. I checked in the instruction and warranty booklet and was surprised to note that there was NO discussion as to accuracy nor any wearing time recommendations. The only mention of their purported accuracy was in their advertising, and it appears that this has been seriously overstated based upon what I have read here. I think that the fact that there is no discussion with regard to accuracy in the official documentation, is telling.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Not to bump this thread to the top and annoy everyone :D but... A quartz watch movement (most of them anyway) is supposed to operate at wrist temp. It should jeep better accuracy on the wrist.

I could be wrong tho

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Not to bump this thread to the top and annoy everyone :D but... A quartz watch movement (most of them anyway) is supposed to operate at wrist temp. It should jeep better accuracy on the wrist.

I could be wrong tho
The 28 degrees that Douglas keeps the watch at, is pretty close to the watch-on-the-wrist temperature.
30-32 degrees Celsius was measured for that.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Hans Moleman said:
The 28 degrees that Douglas keeps the watch at, is pretty close to the watch-on-the-wrist temperature.
30-32 degrees Celsius was measured for that.
I see :)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Hi all...Perhaps I should have done a bit of research on this forum before I bought this watch. Never the less the question I ask is (in spite of failing to meet accuracy claims) does it perform better than any other quartz watch at the particular price range? As mentioned earlier in the thread you can pay a whole lot more for watches that again don't stack up to manufaturers claims. Again on the grand Seiko website you will note how ingenius mechanical additions to their quartz movements ensure that the second hand stops on each of the dial markers each and everytime without vibration. Does it happen in practice? Just ask all the grand Seiko owners with the 9F calibre. AND Seiko DO provide technical information to back this supposed claim. Technical information isnt worth the paper it is printed on if it doesn't actually back up performance..

Ok so its note +/- 10s/year. Is it at least amongst the most accurate in its price range? I should venture to think so. I have a Tissot V8 and you can bet your bottom dollar the precisionist is performing much better. If you want to spend <$500 for an unthermocompensated quartz then don't expect it to perform to the same standard as thermocompensated ones which could cost up to 5 times as much. But if your like me and you dont have a lot of money to spend and just want a great quartz movement within your budget (<$500) than you won't can't go wrong with a precisionist. And the second hand moves 16times per second giving the wonderful illusion of a continuous sweep (better than paying $2000 plus for a grand seiko that won't hit the dial markers)

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Sorry just to add. I DO feel for those who have purchased it as a cheap reliable accurate time keeper. I myself am just happy to have a really accurate quartz at a good price :) Mine's 300metres water resistant, comes with those funky looking Cordura ballistic Strap and a titanium case making it a faaantastic casual/beach/everyday watch. try finding that for $350 Au

·
Registered
721 Posts
Sorry just to add. I DO feel for those who have purchased it as a cheap reliable accurate time keeper. I myself am just happy to have a really accurate quartz at a good price :) Mine's 300metres water resistant, comes with those funky looking Cordura ballistic Strap and a titanium case making it a faaantastic casual/beach/everyday watch. try finding that for $350 Au

"relatively accurate for the money paid" ............ Is certainly one positive way to summarise Precisionist !

If that is acceptable for you then that is great. I am pleased that you are happy with your Precisionist. At the end of the day that is what really matters !

However this is the HAQ forum and many people around here are seriously in to precision regardless of the price point.

The fact that Bulova seems to bombard us at every opportunity with the the 10spy claim causes a problem for some of us who are achieving nowhere near the spec quoted.

My positive outlook on Precisionist is that: "Its a ​work in progress............hopefully!" :-d

·
Registered
18,181 Posts
Well, I did buy it as a cheap accurate time keeper...... but mine isn't, accurate that is. Better to get a trimmer-regulated quartz.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Right, and the bottom line is that it's not very satisfactory to see them make these ridiculous accuracy claims for a non-TC movement and with no wearing pattern and even worst that they don't stand by them, but how could they. Basically this is false advertising and I'm sure they could be taken to task legally if someone had enough time and money to waste on it...

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Well, my 98B153 (B1) just keeps humming along ...

No complaints here. ;-)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Yeah you've posted that before, but I also have a standard 32khz watch that has zero drift at room temperature like your Precisionist, I just got lucky. It doesn't change a thing to the "theory" of HAQ that's been posted above (TC, recommended wearing pattern, etc...) or the fact that Bulova make outlandish claims and naturally don't stand by them.

Wear your 98B153 for a week or place it on top of a router to simulate a wrist temperature of 30 degrees and see what happens...my guess based on my (and other's) extensive testing before it' started aging rapidly : between -15 and -20 spy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I bought a Precisionist off the bay. This'll probably ruffle some feathers, but if it is accuracy you want it seems to me the only way to get it is with a device that is continually updated ala the gps system or network time from NIST. Anything other than that you will most likely be disappointed.

Also you have to change the date every other month save July and January, just sync the time then. As long as it is good for 30 or 60 days it should be good enough.

Or am I looking at this all wrong?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
No, you can get +/- 5 spy accuracy on the "cheap" (bought a Longines VHP for €30 the other day) from a watch with a 32Khz thermocompensated ETA movement (Omega equivalents : 1441, 1445) that have a digital terminal that lets you adjust the accuracy in increments of 4 spy. If you don't like setting the date on your watch, get a version with a perpetual calendar (Omega equivalent : 1680 on the Double Eagle)

If you're ready to cough up a lot more cash ($2000), you can get a Citizen Chronomaster and Citizen guarantees it will be within +/- 5 spy for 10 years if you wear it 8 hours a day (or is it 10 ?). If it's not you can send it back to them and they will adjust if for free.

Clearly you can get perfect "assisted" accuracy from an RC or a GPS watch, but it's a lot less "satisfying" to HAQ fans.

Bulova on the other hand use a non thermocompensated 192khz (relative high frequency) movement with no wearing pattern requirements and push "+/- 10 spy accuracy"...if you get lucky (but a 192Khz movement generally has a 20+ variation between room and worn so even on a perfectly tuned watch with no aging, in the best of worlds you're looking at +10 at room and -10 when worn) as some have been here and don't stand by their claim if your watch isn't, again "false advertising" and they know it (they are owned by Citizen who built that movement), the question is how much longer they'll be able to get away with it...

@Douglas - any recent news from Bulova ? Could you try leaving your watch at room temperature for a week or two to see what happens, chances are it's going to speed up by 15/20 spy, so that will take you a bit closer to their +/- 10 spy claim as you're starting from -36 spy at 28/30 dC.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Yeah you've posted that before, but I also have a standard 32khz watch that has zero drift at room temperature like your Precisionist, I just got lucky. It doesn't change a thing to the "theory" of HAQ that's been posted above (TC, recommended wearing pattern, etc...) or the fact that Bulova make outlandish claims and naturally don't stand by them.

Wear your 98B153 for a week or place it on top of a router to simulate a wrist temperature of 30 degrees and see what happens...my guess based on my (and other's) extensive testing before it' started aging rapidly : between -15 and -20 spy.
The Precisionist I'm testing is worn 23 hours/day, 3-5 days/week. The rest of the time it is stored at room temperature.

So, if I understand you correctly, unless a watch is TC, has recommended wearing patterns, etc. it cannot be considered an HAQ? Even if after a year of wearing it is well within +10s/y?

Admittedly, it appears that the first batch of Precisionists released to the market, those made in 2010 (the B0 watches) are not meeting Bulova's advertised spec. However, of the two watches being tracked on this forum that were manufactured in 2011 (the B1 watches), mine and that belonging to v76, are both performing well within the spec.

Shouldn't we stop painting the Precisionist performance with such a broad brush and at least allow for the possibility - especially in light of the data - that Bulova have improved the performance in the second batch of watches?

Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Bulova on the other hand use a non thermocompensated 192khz (relative high frequency) movement with no wearing pattern requirements and push "+/- 10 spy accuracy"...if you get lucky (but a 192Khz movement generally has a 20+ variation between room and worn so even on a perfectly tuned watch with no aging, in the best of worlds you're looking at +10 at room and -10 when worn) as some have been here and don't stand by their claim if your watch isn't, again "false advertising" and they know it (they are owned by Citizen who built that movement), the question is how much longer they'll be able to get away with it...
FYI, the Precisionist movement is 262.144 kilohertz, not 192 kilohertz as you claim.

HTH

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
That's right, my bad, doesn't change the fact that it's marginally high frequency compared to the standard 32Khz, nothing like the 2.4Mhz of the OMC or the 4MHz of the Crystron. By the way if you want to read more about the Precisionist, I'd talked with the Bulova people at the Baselworld tradeshow in 2010 : Bulova Precisionist Previewed : +/- 10 seconds per year accuracy and Sweeping Seconds « BestofWatch

Ok, so now you're wearing it 23 hours a day 4 days a week on average ? In your Precisionist Accuracy Tracking you wrote "Watch is worn sometimes, mostly stored at RT which at this time of year is about 21 DEGC.". I'm afraid changing the wearing pattern when the difference between room and worn procedure appears to be 20spy based on other people's testing (and on the similarly specced 8Fxx movements) won't let you draw reliable conclusions.

Anyway, assuming you're now wearing it as you just described and the drift is more or less 0, don't wear it at all for a week or two and you'll see it speed up by 15/20 seconds on a yearly drift, if it doesn't, Citizen/Bulova have come up with something magical : no TC, no super high frequency (think Mhz) and no wearing pattern requirement. When something's too good to be true...it generally is, and the fact that Bulova are not willing to service a watch that's not meeting their claims shows that they know it, but you can prove this wrong.

BTW, the OPs Precisionist was also made in 2011 (B1) and it's performing way out of Bulova's claims so we already know for a fact that there's nothing magical with the watches made in 2011 compared to those made in 2010.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
That's right, my bad, doesn't change the fact that it's marginally high frequency compared to the standard 32Khz, nothing like the 2.4Mhz of the OMC or the 4MHz of the Crystron. By the way if you want to read more about the Precisionist, I'd talked with the Bulova people at the Baselworld tradeshow in 2010 : Bulova Precisionist Previewed : +/- 10 seconds per year accuracy and Sweeping Seconds « BestofWatch

Ok, so now you're wearing it 23 hours a day 4 days a week on average ? In your Precisionist Accuracy Tracking you wrote "Watch is worn sometimes, mostly stored at RT which at this time of year is about 21 DEGC.". I'm afraid changing the wearing pattern when the difference between room and worn procedure appears to be 20spy based on other people's testing (and on the similarly specced 8Fxx movements) won't let you draw reliable conclusions.

Anyway, assuming you're now wearing it as you just described and the drift is more or less 0, don't wear it at all for a week or two and you'll see it speed up by 15/20 seconds on a yearly drift, if it doesn't, Citizen/Bulova have come up with something magical : no TC, no super high frequency (think Mhz) and no wearing pattern requirement. When something's too good to be true...it generally is, and the fact that Bulova are not willing to service a watch that's not meeting their claims shows that they know it, but you can prove this wrong.

BTW, the OPs Precisionist was also made in 2011 (B1) and it's performing way out of Bulova's claims so we already know for a fact that there's nothing magical with the watches made in 2011 compared to those made in 2010.
OK. I'll stop wearing it for a couple of weeks and see what the data show. It is true that it appears the more I wear it, the slower (albeit not big numbers) it runs.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Look I completely understand that some people place a great deal of emphasis on accuracy and yes it DOES appear to be false advertising and yes of course I am angry as well (well was). But is it the only company guilty of this? Not by a long shot. Check out the forum elsewhere and you'll see some guy complaining that even the chronomasters don't stack up to their claims...How about those really expensive autos claiming to have in-house movements when infact they're merely recasing unmodified eta's... Anyway the point I make is perhaps we should all have been a little skeptical when you can get some of the watches in the precisionist range for almost $150. Hardley anywhere near a HAQ watch price range. And yes I know price shouldn't matter but Im just trying to place things in perspective. I.e. at least you didn't get scammed $2000 under such false advertising :). My advice.. Get a grand seiko and you should be pretty happy after adjusting it. Use the precisionist as a casual or sell it!

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
I'm pretty surprised to see just gaijin's and my Precisionist examples (both B1) performing according to specs.

21 - 40 of 165 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.