WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, community.

It seems there's a lot of controversy and fact gaps about these. I absolutely love the watch and would love to line up its truthful history.
What I know so far:

- Genta did work for Bulova (among lots of other brands), but he did NOT design RA at/for Bulova (he directly said in an interview RA was designed specifically for AP at their request)
- These were produced in 1979 and 1980 in 2 variants: quartz (Bulova 2562.10 / ESA 944.111) and automatic (ETA 2892)

The rest are the questions / controversies that I'd love to shed some light on:

- Have Bulova licensed the design from AP?
- If not, then how come they figured that directly copying RA design was a good idea despite obvious breach of the IP rights?
- Were they served the cease-and-resist order in 1980 to stop the production?
- Is the 2562.10 caliber related to Bulova Accutron 214 and how does is it compare to the high-end quartz calibers of that era?

Thanks in advance for your input!

971z6hgyo7y01.jpg bulova2.jpg s-l1600.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
- Were they served the cease-and-resist order in 1980 to stop the production?
As the old adage goes "easier to ask forgiveness than permission"....

also, keep in mind "who" owned Bulova at this time-frame.

·
1,288 Posts
I have a Bulova Quartz that is similar, made in 1984, with an ETA movement. It's a day/date and is just marked Bulova on the dial, although it is a quartz. The 256 series quartz movements are not related or in any way similar to the 214. It wasn't a bad movement, although we did retrofit them with jeweled train bridges due to a tendancy for burrs around the train wheel holes.
Samantha

1 - 4 of 4 Posts