WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this in a Basel-World press release :-

Precisionist was developed by Bulova in cooperation with its parent company, the Citizen Watch Company, in response to Bulova-led research which paved the way for the development of a technology that supports the company’s goal of providing distinctive and beautifully designed watches.

With Precisionist, Bulova has added a third prong to a standard two prong quartz crystal creating a torsional resonator. This innovation results in eight times the vibration frequency of a traditional quartz watch resulting in the most accurate watch with a continuously sweeping second hand. The aesthetic movement of the second hand becomes the symbol to the consumer of Bulova Precisionist and signals a watch with accuracy so exceptional, you can see it. The technology is accurate to 10 seconds per year as compared to most other quartz watches, which are accurate to fifteen seconds per month.

The Precisionist technology will be available in new timepieces ranging from dress to sport to ladies’ diamonds within the Bulova brand including the Claremont, Longwood Champlain and Tanglewood collections. They are targeted to the consumer who is looking for a watch that will be noticed both for its styling and technology. Set to debut at BaselWorld in March 2010, the timepieces will be available at retail starting Fall 2010 with price ranges between $299 and $1,000.

For further information, please visit www.bulova.com.

·
Banned
3,654 Posts
Interesting! :thanks for sharing the info!

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Wow! Not only a new HEQ watch on the scene, but a new technology--or at least a big jump on current quartz technology. Maybe a new plaything for us geeks to do timing tests with (maybe with the video method!) and plot the temperature/rate function. I'm pumped! :)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The most interesting news on HEQ for the entire year !!!

The most interesting news on HEQ for the entire year !!!

The limited edition Spaceview sounds however a little too much IMHO (4000 US$ is high even if it is solid 18k gold), but I am convinced there will be enough buyers for all 1000 of them ...

Also I believe the press release might leave open the possibility of a seconds-hand that moves more often than once/second ... :think:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Re: The most interesting news on HEQ for the entire year !!!

Also I believe the press release might leave open the possibility of a seconds-hand that moves more often than once/second ... :think:
More than that based on "with a continuously sweeping second hand" !

Hopefully they will have some working samples in Basel, I'll be there on Friday ! Just found Bulova in the exhibitor list Hall 1.1/B43

Wonder how they're getting 10spy with no TC though, because it looks like their new scheme results in a 32x8=196khz frequency as on the 8F56, maybe you can't just stop at the numbers though.

Links to PR (had to dig around their site) :
- http://www.bulova.com/dynamic_repository/press_release/PRECISIONIST.pdf
- http://www.bulova.com/dynamic_repository/press_release/SpaceView.pdf
- http://www.bulova.com/dynamic_repository/press_release/UK.pdf

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

Oh, I am convinced at some point we will get into more detailed technical points on how 10 s/y are achieved (even if the 256/260 kHz thing might be closer indeed to the Seiko 192/196 kHz), IMHO what really matters most is the fact that a company is finally proud (again) to make some announcement based on accuracy and real numbers, unlike ALL the other stuff from Basel which is about generic nice words and very little actual numbers ... other than the big prices, of course ;-)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts

Exactly, I'll be taking an M9 Accutron to Basel and an HEQ (not sure which one yet, any suggestions ?) and oops on the 196khz, 32x8=256khz indeed, still not enough for 10spy ;-)

·
Registered
3,107 Posts

Exactly, I'll be taking an M9 Accutron to Basel and an HEQ (not sure which one yet, any suggestions ?) ...
Hmm, the M9 will certainly result in a few solid sale pitches from the Bulova guys for one of the new limited edition Spaceviews ;-)

The Aerospace might not be a bad choice - I always tend to travel with watches where it is easy to see multiple timezones - both 8F56 and E510 are still miles ahead of calibers where you can not jump in 1-hour steps, but the calibers 6760 or G900 also have their advantages even if high accuracy is not one of them ...

·
Registered
2,467 Posts

Yes you're right, the Aerospace is a natural when traveling, useful features, smart and light, and in this case...Swiss ;-) Will still take an Accutron for the Bulova booth!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Re: OMG...I want one!!!!!!nt

This is sounding pretty awesome... particularly if the second hand really is smooth-sweeping. Can't wait for more details of the models!

·
Banned
3,654 Posts

This is sounding pretty awesome... particularly if the second hand really is smooth-sweeping...
Really smooth-sweeping second hand should be a turn-off for accuracy fanatics, in my opinion, as it is not practical for high-accuracy watches.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts

Maybe not to check the accuracy with the video method, but it's still nice to look at.

Unrelated, but one of the press releases on the Bulova site talks about advertising and I skipped it but I'm currently watching an ndian Wells Masters 1000 game and guess who's the official timer...Buloca with a large tuning fork, nice !

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

The sweeping hand is a fashion thing.
I remember the time (!) when quartz came out and the stepping second hand was the most fascinating thing to look at.
Now that mechanical watches are back in vogue, the sweeping hand is the thing to look out for.

The marketing boys can be well satisfied.

The aesthetic movement of the second hand becomes the symbol to the consumer of Bulova Precisionist and signals a watch with accuracy so exceptional, you can see it.
:-s

Interesting nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts

Exactly, I'll be taking an M9 Accutron to Basel and an HEQ (not sure which one yet, any suggestions ?) and oops on the 196khz, 32x8=256khz indeed, still not enough for 10spy ;-)
One of the newest high accuracy quartz models is the Chopard GP de Monaco Historique Time Attack. I don't know if you have one to take but I think it would be better than the Breitling because it's newer and has only one window. I like it because I've got one! And it's considerably more accurate than the COSC spec..... at least mine is.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
1 - 20 of 163 Posts